Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 08:26

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default I know you have a lot of people asking...

I have a recipe that I have used for 23 Thanksgiving meals and want to convert it to low carb without losing the wonderful flavors! So, I thought I would post here in the hope that Karen or someone equally talented at converting recipes would help me out! Here is the recipe!

Apple Butter Pumklin Pie with Streusel Topping

1-cup solid pack pumpkin
1-cup apple butter
1/4-cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2-teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4-teaspoon ground ginger
1/4-teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4-teaspoon salt
3-eggs, lightly beaten
1-cup undiluted evaporated milk
1 9-inch deep dish prozen pie shell
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine filling ingredients in order given; pour into pie shell. Bake 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted two inches from center comes out clean. Top with streusel topping and bake for additional 15 minutes. Makes on 9-inch pie.

Streusel Topping

Combine 3 tablespoons softened butter, 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, and 1/3 cup chopped nuts.

My family adores my pie and I don't want to let them down, but I do want a low carb version so I can enjoy it too without feeling so guilty! Thanks for any help you all can give me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 08:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It sounds excellent! This is what I would do

In the filling:
  • Use apple sauce instead of the apple butter but make sure its a sugar free version. If you think you can handle the apple butter without it making you crave or bige out, I would go ahead and use it. Or you may want to go 1/2 butter and 1/2 sauce
  • Sub Splenda for the sugar, but you may want to add more as apple sauce is not as sweet as apple butter
  • Sub whipping cream for the milk
For the crust:

3 cups coarsely ground pecans
2 Tbsp. Splenda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg white

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line the bottom of the pie pan with a circle of parchment paper. This will prevent the crust from sticking.

Combine the pecans, sweetener and salt. Add the butter and mix with your fingertips until well combined. Beat the egg white with a whisk until completely foamy and add to the pecan mixture. Mix well to combine. Pat into the prepared pan and bake for 10-15 minutes until a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.

For the topping:

1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup plain whey protein isolate
1/3 cup Splenda
4 Tbsp. softened butter - you may beed a little more
1/3 cup shopped pecans

Remember that this is off the top of my head. Do a trial run first and let me know how it goes.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 00:17

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Thank you!

Thank you for responding! I will do a trial run about a week before Thanksgiving and see how your advice goes!