Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 22:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 127/127/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question 2nd time on Atkins

Hi Everyone!

I first did Atkins back in October while I lived away at college. I did great on the plan and really loved it. Unfortunately, (well, fortunately) I graduated college in December. Christmas and moving back in with my parents made it hard to stick to it. I want to try it again, but I hear that if you have already tried it once, you will not lose weight as fast as you did the first time you tried it. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, is there anything I can do to try and change that? I welcome any advice! Thanks!

Cores
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 11:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/125/120 Female 57 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Talking

Hi Cores!

I've never heard that. I've been on Atkins many times and always lost the weight I wanted to lose. I was on Atkins diet before it was even called Atkins - it was called the "diet plate" in diners in the early 1950's. When I was in high school in 1953, I lost 30 lbs eating lots of hamburger patties, boiled eggs, tiny little lettuce salads with a hint of tomato and bit of cottage cheese. Dr Atkins has made the diet so much better and more interesting.

Life changes and laziness can cause you to go off the low carb diet but you can always climb back on the wagon. I'm on it again at age 66. I realized I had gone up to 141 and my best weight is 127 to 130. I have about 5 lbs to go. My clothes fit well now so I might just relax and slow it down to about a pound or 2 a week or I just may stay on the induction phase until its all gone.

I figure that if I can lose weight at my age, anyone can! Good luck to ya! ..........Carol *8)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 15:57

Stats: 127/127/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you!!

Carol,
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I feel a lot better now about starting Atkins again!

Cores
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 16:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/125/120 Female 57 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi again Cores, Sorry! I meant to say I will probably slow down to 1 or 2 lbs a month - not a week. ........Carol *8)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 05:08
Registered Member

Stats: 137/132/115
BF:
Progress: 23%

It is my second time as well and I have to say that this time around I did not lose as much as I did the first time.

I went on it in Aug of 2001 and in 3 weeks lost 10 lbs. Then I found out I was pregnant with twins and had to go off. This time I lost 5 lbs on induction and haven't lost since - and it has been 6 weeks.

Don't know what to attribute it to but I am frustrated by it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:30

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%
Default second time around

I have noticed that things are moving slower this time. I did Protein Power a few years ago. I didn't lose a ton of weight, but I did notice weight loss within the first week. This time around, I'm not following any particular program, and it is possible that I have been a bit more liberal with my carbs. I just finished my second week of LCing. I weigh daily, and the fluctuations aren't really much different than they were before I started.

What to do about it? Well, I'm going to stick with it for now. From what I've read, it just may take the body a bit longer the second time. It may require being more restrictive...and tweaking to see what works and what doesn't.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:57
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

This is a great article relating to that topic!

From Low Carb Luxury website http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/goldenshot.html

Quote:
Taking Your One Golden Shot...
or "Ode to a Fudge Cake"...

A frequent topic in letters we receive at Low Carb Luxury deals in some form or another with results from multiple attempts at low-carbing. A typical letter goes something like this one I received this week:

"About ten years ago, after the birth of my first son, I went on the Atkins Diet for the first time. It was really pretty easy and I dropped the weight quickly and felt very good. Unfortunately, I went back to my old ways and gained it back. By then the thing was "low fat" and friends warned me off of Atkins so I tried it "their way" and lost a few pounds, but felt terrible and starved. I finally ended up quitting dieting altogether as I was crabby, weak, and HUNGRY all the time.

So, here I am ten years later, now needing to lose 50 pounds instead of the 15-20 I wanted to lose in the first place. I am back to Atkins and once again a believer, but this time around, I am not getting the results I did before. The weight is coming off MUCH more slowly and I find I need to stay at a lower carb level to stay in ketosis than I did the first time around. What am I doing wrong this time?"

The answer is that this writer is probably not doing ANYTHING wrong. She simply missed her "one golden shot". What "Golden Shot", you ask?

It's a phenomenon we hear about over, and over again. You can count on it being a part of at least one letter we get every day, so I can assure you it's not an aberration.

For whatever reason 末 and there are many theories 末 we all (especially females) seem to have this One Golden Shot. The first time we ever embark on a low-carb eating plan if we do it RIGHT and if we don't cheat, we get some really amazing results without appreciable sacrifice or difficulty. I often see people who lose quickly and effortlessly while taking in around 35-55 grams of carbs per day and staying in ketosis. But should you falter and leave the diet for an appreciable amount of time 末 especially long enough to gain all or much of the weight back 末 the next time around takes more effort, weight loss is slower, and it takes more carb restriction to get results.

Indeed, once an individual has played this hand multiple times, it can take great effort to get the desired results.

I can attest to this as I am a many-time diet failure. My "Golden Shot" was in the 70's. In a short amount of time I lost 68 pounds and felt terrific. There were no low-carb "specialty" foods, and no access to special ingredients to make my own. There was no internet support, and indeed I was living in a tenuous situation, so stress was high. But I still managed to do well and to do so with little effort. Then, one hot fudge cake in a Big Boy Restaurant with a friend undid all that. I'd mentioned to the waitress that I had not had a piece of bread, a bowl of cereal, a glass of milk, or a slice of cake in an entire year. She told me I'd surely EARNED a piece of that fudge cake for all my hard work. And that was that. I never managed to scramble back on the low-carb wagon. At least not for years.

The next time I tried it, I had more difficulty and I could not get those rapid results. The effort it took to get to that ketosis-comfort-zone was considerably more. And like the writers of my letters, I was being warned against the dangers of Atkins. So I'd abandoned it again. Years of yo-yo dieting ensued and each time strengthened my body's resolve to put up one hell of a fight against losing an ounce.

Two years ago I made the decision 末 this was it. I HAD to succeed this time, or I was going to have surgery instead. I was scared to death of the idea of a gastric bypass, but I could not 末 and WOULD NOT 末 continue to live my life as a fat girl. I was sick and getting sicker. I knew I would not be living a long life and every bite of sugar robbed me of another day. And so I began.

What a struggle. This time around was the hardest. My body fought me tooth and nail. I had to get down to as little as 5 grams of carbs a day in the beginning to lose. I learned what stalled me and what my triggers were. The internet was a Godsend. I read everything I could get my hands on. I searched out reports and studies that hadn't made the mainstream dogmatic press. I started a library that now fills many shelves in my office.

In short, this time I had to give this endeavor my heart and soul. My "easy path" was long since spent. I can now look back and know I am a success. I can say it with pride, with joy, and with a knowledge that my life has been given back to me. But I also am acutely aware that this was probably my last stand. Success was my only option 末 look at what the alternative would have been. One hundred and six pounds later, I am blessed to be able to write to others, help where I can, and offer a bit of advice learned the hard way.

If you are low-carbing for the first time, please understand that this is YOUR "Golden Shot". The others will be harder fought. If you feel you are struggling now, it's because (and pardon my bluntness) you don't know what struggling is. Run with this opportunity 末 don't squander it. And don't look back.

If, on the other hand, you're one of the millions relating to this story with a "been there, done that" feeling, remember, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and success is still waiting for you. There are just more curves in the road on the way. Things that may have caused no problems your first time around may prove problematic now. For us second (third, forth) timers, we probably have to avoid all trans fats (no margarine, no shortening.) We can be triggered easily by a few drops of high fructose corn syrup, or sodas containing aspartame. We have a greater need for supplements that go beyond a good multivitamin. For us, CoEnzyme Q-10, L-Carnitine, Chromium, Taurine, Magnesium, and more may be what makes all the difference. We must be that much more religious about drinking our water every day.

We all started out with the dream we could succeed. Faltering doesn't mean we need to wake up from that dream. In the words of Henry David Thoreau:

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; there is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:36

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

That is depressing. I cannot, CANNOT stand the idea of living on a diet with only five grams of carbs a day. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

I don't think that my experience is as radical as that example (or as others here have mentioned). When I LCed before, I was exercising more seriously, I was taking antidepressants that nicely cut my appetite, and I still didn't lose dramatically. I think I lost 10-15 pounds within a couple of months, and then I started running. The running was what really did it for me, because I soon dropped the LC diet and kept losing weight. Now I can't run (and I don't take Prozac!), so I have to find other avenues.