Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 04:38
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Black 57: There's no reason to try to gain weight. Just don't let yourself go over about 2 pounds. Sometimes I gain weight, sometimes I don't (check my sig line). I usually have a planned number of days, corresponding to my vacations, whether or not a weekend is coming up, etc. I would carbup, I THINK, for a minimum of 3 days. As you can see, mine have always been longer and I'm doing very well. This carb up that I am on now will last until Sunday, 7 days, because I want to enjoy my weekend, and I think I need a good carb recharge!

So, depending on your schedule you might want to carb up through the weekend, then hit the carb down Monday. If that suits you. Or, maybe weekends would be easier for you to carb down. Whatever works for you. Make it fit your schedule. And remember, basically the rules for carb down are Atkins Induction.

You can tweak this to make it work for you, but I definitely would not purposely try to gain, or wait to go back to carb down until I had gained.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 08:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You know, I like this idea so much better than what I have seen other people do. Adding in fruit or extra nuts, some whole grains or yogurt just seems so much healthier than the normal "carb up", which people usually turn into a "crap up" by chowing down on all the carby stuff they've worked so hard not to eat.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 16:11
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/145.2/135 Female 64 inches
BF:34/29/20
Progress: 64%

LCanita-

Off the subject, but how do you change your signature line? I can't even FIND mine!! I feel kinda dumb...
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

I am going to have to agree with Anita; there seems to be something to carb and calorie cycling which totally revs metabolism and increases energy usage by the body significantly.

I remember the first few days of "maintenence"... I ate about 1600 calories and 90 carbs daily. I previously was consuming 1150 and I think 50. Wouldn't you be surprised that I dropped tons of fat... not only scale weight, but all of it was fat because I dropped several sizes, and shrunk down significantly more than I would have for that sort of poundage loss.

Of course since then the loss has slowed down and I am now maintaining . However, I think if I went back to my previous 1150 intake level, I would again drop weight quickly (because my body has adapted to the higher intake).
I think it is that combination of feast and famine, letting your body know it's OK to keep burning fuel at a normal rate by giving it tons of food one day, and then pulling the switcharoo on it by restricting calories & carbs the next day, that allows you to get the most bang for your buck. I'm sure there is a hormonal explanation for all of this (leptin and what not), but either way I fully agree with her findings.

Too many times this has happened to me. I used to think that fat loss corresponded with binge eating giving the appearance that eating more can help you lose weight, but after evaluating my own experiences, the only thing all the high intake sessions had in common was the high intake - the higher carbs and calories. I didn't feel like my body was driving me to eat all the times. My state of mind for each session was very varying. Some days I was physically hungry, others I was not. Some days I just wanted to eat, other days I felt normal. The only common bond was that the incidence occurred following a period of prolonged dietary restriction, and was proceeded by significant body fat loss the next few days afterward (not just scale weight, but I physically shrunk several inches... a very efficient type of weight loss).
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 22:44
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

I was wondering, do you think it is just the increased calories on the carb up days, the carbs alone, or both that "rev" the metabolism?

It seems like if you can avoid eating too many carbs on high cal days, that you should do it (if I stray very much above 70 I start to get carb symptoms). But then on the other hand, it is probably a LOT harder to eat all the food you need to eat on a carb up day if you're carb levels are low.

Still, I wonder... is it the carbs or the calories?
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 04:49

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm no expert here, but I would say it's more the calories than the carbs. I've done only one full cycle (and lost 2 pounds), but my ranges were approximately 1200 calories and less than 20 grams of ECC on the DOWN cycle, and about 1800 calories and around 40 grams of ECC on the UP cycle. That's not that many more ECC. I did keep the carbs to extra veggies and fruits like berries, and a slice of LC bread (which I don't plan on repeating).

All I know is that this is very interesting and I plan to keep experimenting with it. After a full week on UP, this morning I start again on a DOWN cycle. This UP cycle, however, was not so great in terms of food choices, though it was not all that bad either. The only things I had that I normally wouldn't have on an UP cycle were potato chips twice, Ritz crackers twice, about 1/2 cup of pasta once, and about 1/4 cup corn once. Too much alcohol, though. No alcohol during the DOWN cycle.

Thanks, Woo! It's great to get confirmation from yet another person for whom it works!
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 06:57
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Hi Everyone!

NancyLC - Yep, that's what I like about it. The idea of a "refeed" the way I've heard it defined on other threads sounds gross! I don't want to eat carbage in order to lose.

James Blond - I think the problem you are having is that you need something like 35? posts before you can even have a signature. But, when you have that many, click on "User CP" at the top left of your screen, then select the first option under "settings" which is "Edit Signature."

Woo - I was hoping you would respond to this. I always enjoy your intelligent and insightful posts. There's no doubt this is working for me, why I'm not so sure. But, since I've found references in several books and on several websites about recharging the metabolism, I'm going with that. I remember on other diets in the past when I cheated a lot, I lost weight really well whenever I stayed on plan. I would cheat, gain a few pounds, then go back on plan hard and lose again. This time on Atkins, since the end of January, I've been so strict, virtually never "cheating." Well, weight loss stalled to a crawl. I didn't want to "cheat" or "refeed", so I decided to try this which is what I read about in Lean for Life. They diet hard for 6 weeks, then take a two week metabolic adjustment. I figured, why not up and down more frequently, like bodybuilders do, but with very low and moderate carbs. It worked like a charm.

Is it the carbs or the cals? Good question. I think that it is the calories, BUT because virtually everyone on this site is insulin resistant, I think we would get into trouble pushing the carbs too high. I have felt great with my current back and forth of under 20/1200 vs. 60 or so/17-1800. I think that sometimes my carbs/cals on carb up perhaps go even higher, but not much over 80 carbs/2000 cals. I think what is really important is to be very strict on the carb down portion. I think there is room for more flexibility in the carb up, as long as the carbs/cals actually do go up! At least, that seems to be my experience. For others: YMMV! Also - I stay completely away from grains, because they seem to be a trigger food for me. For some reason simple sugar/fructose doesn't seem to be as much of a problem, evidenced by the large amount of fruit I eat on carb up.

Wench: Congratulations on the 2 pounds!! Now, is that two virgin pounds? Or pounds that you had gained during carb up? As you can see from my signature line, I don't give a net loss until I have completed both the up and down portion. So far I've lost about 3 net pounds on each cycle except for cycle 5. Not sure what happened there, but I did net 1, so I'm not complaining. It could be a fluke, or could be that I'm finally slowing down as I get closer to goal. Since you don't have a lot to lose, I would not expect large net losses for you either from each cycle.

Note everyone - I THINK that there is some flexibility when on Carb Up, but don't go crazy and gain a lot of weight or you'll get frustrated and quit. On Carb Down I think it's important to stay very strict, Induction Atkins rules. If you are heavier, you probably want to have more calories, but keep the carbs low. That's what I THINK. I'd be happy for other opinions about that.

If anyone else has any results yet, please post here so we can all learn.

Anita
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 07:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCanita
Now, is that two virgin pounds? Or pounds that you had gained during carb up?

The lowest I've been recently is 152, but the day before I started my first UP cycle I was 154. By the time I had finished that, plus the first DOWN cycle, I was down to 152 again. So, I netted a 2-pound loss, but not in "virgin territory."

Starting another DOWN cycle today, which will go through Wednesday. Also started a BFL-type workout regimen. Took measurements and photos (for my eyes only). I'm retaining a little water, so I'll weigh tomorrow morning. No sense getting flustered by weighing today when I know it will be up. Actually, I weighed the other day during my UP cycle and I was at 156!

Will be curious to see how it goes during this DOWN cycle.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 07:43
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Wench: Well, since you started the up cycle at 154, and are now at 152, I'd call that a two pound loss, even though you had been at 152 somewhat recently.

Yes, let's hold a final conclusion until you complete another full cycle. If you get below 152, then that will be virgin territory and time for real celebration!

Anita
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 07:47

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I thought I'd check in with you all. I am still getting a feel for this cycling, but I'm trying to figure out how to best go about it. I'm hoping to not lower my carbs so much, maybe 40carbs/1200 cals on carb down and 60-70 carbs/1800calories on carb up. My health really seems to suffer when I limit my carbs to induction levels. I might also include rice every few days on my carb up days, for some reason I seem to do okay with it, as long as I don't overindulge.
I don't think I'm going to lose quickly on this. I may lose really slowly, but I'm learning how best to eat for my body.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 07:52
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Nepeta: You DEFINITELY want to do what works for you and is good for your health. Everyone is going to do this a little differently. As we were discussing, it could be that the calories are the main thing, if so your carb levels should work fine. Experiment a little to see what works for you.

Good luck!
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 07:58

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

thanks anita I'm starting carb down today, I'll let you know how it goes.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 08:16

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

Well, I decided not to do the carb up and down thing. However, I have been fluctuating between 15-35 carbs. Here is today's journal entry. I would like to know what you think.
thanks

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!I messed up sooo bad last night!!! My dh and I was filling the new remodeled room and I came across some things that REALLY threw me into a depression! I mean HARD!!! I couldn't shake it! So then I went on a binge.

One hour before bed, I ate 2 ham/cheese rolls (no bread), 3 servings of crustless cheese cake lc, and 8 strawberries. When I got up this morning, I thought I would never get on the scale again!

But I did and lost 2.5 pounds since yesterday! I have been stalled at 276-278 for a week! NO large water intake! I am shocked! The only thing that I can say is the fat uptake did something!

Well, I gotta go now. Time to faint.
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 08:26
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Jimsbride: If I'm reading correctly what you ate, I don't know why you would have expected a large weight gain. Those were all low carb foods. Why the weight LOSS happened this morning, I cannot explain.

Anyone else have an idea on this? Wooo, I think you've posted about this before, but I can't explain it like you can...
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 09:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

To those of you who have tried carb cycling...

When you switch from carb up to carb down, do you find it hard to do the first day of carb down? (and vice versa?) I think I might give this a try in a week or two, but I'm interested in the cravings it can cause.