Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 15:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
High-Altitude Residents Exhibit Lower Prevalence of Diabetes and Obesity

People who live at altitudes above 1,500 meters tend to have a lower fasting glycemia and better glucose tolerance compared to those who live closer to sea level, and understanding why that is could lead to new therapeutic options, according to a study recently published in Endocrine Reviews.

Researchers led by Orison O. Woolcott, MD, of the Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute at Cedars- Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, noted that about 7% of the world’s population (about 440 million people) live above 1,500 meters, but there hasn’t been much research on the long-term effects of living at that altitude. There is emerging evidence of the lower prevalence of both obesity and diabetes at higher altitudes, but, according to the authors, the mechanisms underlying improved glucose control at higher altitudes remain unclear.

The authors looked at the most current evidence on glucose homeostasis in residents living above 1,500 meters and reached a number of hypotheses. Insulin is unlikely to play a part. The liver may be involved since “studies showing higher glucagon levels in highlanders and reduced hepatic glycogen content in rodents chronically exposed to hypoxia suggest that the liver may play a role,” they write. The gut may be implicated, but that’s unclear, since most studies have focused on the short-term exposure to high altitudes.

Woolcott and colleagues hypothesized that the lower fasting glycemia in individuals living at high altitudes is determined by a lower hepatic glucose output (HGO) and a higher glucose disposal in the skeletal muscle, since “in the postabsorptive state, blood glucose supply depends primarily on the liver, whereas glucose disposal occurs primarily in the brain (~50%) and to a lesser extent in the skeletal muscle (<25%).” Thet widely accepted concept, along with the evidence of higher glucose disposal in vivo in highlanders and increased glucose uptake in the skeletal muscle induced by anoxia and hypoxia in vivo, helped the team reach that hypothesis. The authors pointed out that further experimental studies could have an important clinical impact, and understanding “the mechanisms that regulate and maintain the lower fasting glycemia in individuals who live at higher altitudes could lead to new therapeutics for impaired glucose homeostasis.”

https://endocrinenews.endocrine.org...rends-insights/
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 266/253.4/150 Female 5'1" inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I heavily salt most of my food. I love the taste of salt. I am also diabetic, but it's not salt that causes it, it's carbs. I cut out carbs, kept my salting the same, and lost lots of weight. What I hate is the constant comments I get over how much I salt. Annoys the hell outta me.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 01:21

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Teaser, I have a much much simpler hypothesis. Higher altitude does not lend well to agriculture, therefore less product of agriculture therefore more meat is eaten there compared to lower altitude. That's it.

As a side note, we can't invoke the liver while dismissing insulin since the bulk of insulin is taken up and degraded by the liver. This picture changes the higher the carb intake, as now the brain also degrades a significant portion of the secreted insulin through the same enzyme - insulin-degrading enzyme.

Don't know where salt fits in there, but my guess is that there's higher salt intake near the coast therefore at lower altitude. This may be pure coincidence in the salt-diabetes association, yet driven by a possible increased need for salt the higher the carb intake made possible by the land better suited for agriculture at lower altitude.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 10:04

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Don't know where salt fits in there, but my guess is that there's higher salt intake near the coast therefore at lower altitude. This may be pure coincidence in the salt-diabetes association, yet driven by a possible increased need for salt the higher the carb intake made possible by the land better suited for agriculture at lower altitude.

Perhaps this is true; I can't speak for anyone but myself, and in my case it most certainly is not. I grew up, quite literally, about 200 feet from the Pacific ocean. As a child I hated salt, and would refuse bacon, ham, pickles, even the popcorn that my mother salted - loved the butter and garlic, hated the salt. During only 2 periods of my life have I ever felt the need to add salt to my food - after I had been living in the middle of Germany for 2 years, and again, after moving to Oregon, on the inland side of the Coastal Range. It occurred to me then that throughout my life (50 years when I first moved here), except for these 2 periods, I had never lived more than 8 miles from a large body of salt water (Pacific, Atlantic, San Francisco Bay). I believe that I got what I needed from the air. One of my brothers, who is a sailor and a surfer, and pretty much lives on the water, has said the same thing about himself. I have been LC for almost 5 years, and living away from the ocean for 15, and do now use salt more liberally, but probably still use less than the average American.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 11:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm sure you did absorb salt from the air when you lived near the ocean, which was probably very healthy.

This reminds me of a story, my DD had a friend who worked at a commercial facility which imported salt and in his twenties,
his blood pressure shot through the roof due to his exposure
to excess salt.
If I remember correctly he had it all in his clothes and hair by the end
of the day.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 11:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Interesting Verbena, here's my story. I grew up on the South Shore of Boston living at the end of a peninsula with salt water views of 270 degrees. My family and I spent much time on and in the water. I've always loved salt to the point that when I was young, I would walk around the tomato garden with a salt shaker and eat the ripe tomatoes right off the vine. This has not changed at all over the course of my life. So, while I may be an outlier, I don't believe that proximity to salt water or coastal living has much to do with one's need for salt. The rest of my family members have the same fondness for salt. So, while I understand that those who live in parts not near the ocean sometimes require more iodine, I don't believe it applies to salt. It's not that simple.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 12:16

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Perhaps this is true; I can't speak for anyone but myself, and in my case it most certainly is not. I grew up, quite literally, about 200 feet from the Pacific ocean. As a child I hated salt, and would refuse bacon, ham, pickles, even the popcorn that my mother salted - loved the butter and garlic, hated the salt. During only 2 periods of my life have I ever felt the need to add salt to my food - after I had been living in the middle of Germany for 2 years, and again, after moving to Oregon, on the inland side of the Coastal Range. It occurred to me then that throughout my life (50 years when I first moved here), except for these 2 periods, I had never lived more than 8 miles from a large body of salt water (Pacific, Atlantic, San Francisco Bay). I believe that I got what I needed from the air. One of my brothers, who is a sailor and a surfer, and pretty much lives on the water, has said the same thing about himself. I have been LC for almost 5 years, and living away from the ocean for 15, and do now use salt more liberally, but probably still use less than the average American.

I like that. There's the idea that salt is self-regulating. We get hungry for salt when we need it, then it becomes unpalatable once we've had enough. So if we always have enough, salt isn't going to taste good enough for us to add it to a meal. Also, your personal experience with LC suggests that there is an increased need for salt when we eat more carbs. I mean, I'm a bit biased here cuz that's how I see it already, so take that last part with a grain of salt, hehe.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 12:46

BF:

I do believe that LC increased my need, and tolerance, for salt. But I lived here for 10 years before going LC, and noticed in that time that I was salting my food more than had been my habit before. Lately, I find that I am really liking a bowl of cottage cheese (salty already) with added lemon/pepper/salt seasoning for my midday meal, which is also my first meal of the day. It used to be yoghurt & berries, now it is cottage cheese & salt LOL
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 13:09

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Interesting Verbena, here's my story. I grew up on the South Shore of Boston living at the end of a peninsula with salt water views of 270 degrees. My family and I spent much time on and in the water. I've always loved salt to the point that when I was young, I would walk around the tomato garden with a salt shaker and eat the ripe tomatoes right off the vine. This has not changed at all over the course of my life. So, while I may be an outlier, I don't believe that proximity to salt water or coastal living has much to do with one's need for salt. The rest of my family members have the same fondness for salt. So, while I understand that those who live in parts not near the ocean sometimes require more iodine, I don't believe it applies to salt. It's not that simple.

Another outlier here. And I also come from a family of salt lovers. I remember when we were kids my mom would admonish us to stop licking the salt shaker! My roommates in college used to joke that I was the creature on the old Star Trek series whose need for salt was causing murder and mayhem on the Enterprise. And I've never lived too far from the ocean. My husband has a smilar salt history. My husband says way back on one of our first dates that he knew I was the girl for him when he asked me if I wanted some salt while we were in the Burger King Drive Thru, I told him I had my own and proceeded to pull a superior McDonald's salt out of my pocket. (McD's salt is much finer and sticks into all the nooks and crannies).

You'd think the kids we created would be salt fiends, but yet only one is. The one thing I have noticed is that in both my and my husband's extended families, the more you like salt, the blander your palate tends to be.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 14:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Another outlier here. And I also come from a family of salt lovers. I remember when we were kids my mom would admonish us to stop licking the salt shaker! My roommates in college used to joke that I was the creature on the old Star Trek series whose need for salt was causing murder and mayhem on the Enterprise. And I've never lived too far from the ocean. My husband has a smilar salt history. My husband says way back on one of our first dates that he knew I was the girl for him when he asked me if I wanted some salt while we were in the Burger King Drive Thru, I told him I had my own and proceeded to pull a superior McDonald's salt out of my pocket. (McD's salt is much finer and sticks into all the nooks and crannies).

You'd think the kids we created would be salt fiends, but yet only one is. The one thing I have noticed is that in both my and my husband's extended families, the more you like salt, the blander your palate tends to be.

That is interesting. I do love spicy (not necessarily HOT, but well spiced) food
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 15:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm like that too when I make a dish I like to use herbs a lot and sometimes I almost forget salt because it tastes good with out it...
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 15:23

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2008. Probably had it for a while before that. I don't and never have liked salt. I don't like bacon or ham, both too salty, no salty snacks, but I've been know to buy no-salt chips or pretzels, I do not salt my food, and the people I cook for have to keep the salt shaker handy because I salt very little when cooking. So figure that one out. And Pittsburgh PA is no where near the coast.