Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default yogurt

My husband (Dale, Big Tease) said that he heard somewhere that we can eat yogurt. Although I'm not a big fan of yogurt I thought I would pick some up. I know fruits aren't allowed so I bought plain yogurt. I had the baby with me so I didn't get a good look at the chart. I thought it said carb=12, sugar=0 and fiber=12. I was wrong. What it said was carb=12, firber=0 and sugar=12. This is not allowed is it? Since it contains sugar?

I hate to throw it out, is there something I can use it for to give the kids? My 2yo loves yogurt but she hated this...no flavor I guess.

BTW is yogurt allowed? and if so what kind?

Thanks, Tina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:17

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Tina

I don't know the truth about what you are asking, but here is an interesting article you might want to look at:
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

Hope you find it helpful. I wondered about adding yogurt after reading it. The only reason to take a chance, IMHO, is to get the benefit of the live cultures, so you would have to read the label carefully anyway. Doing that, I discovered that different plain yogurts have different carb counts. Go figure. (literally)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up yogurt

As with all dairy products, the higher the fat content, the lower the carb content. So, buy plain unsweetened yogurt with the highest fat % you can find. Here in Canada, whole milk yogurt is 3.2%, and has 6g per 1/2 cup serving. If you can find it, Greek or Balkan-style plain yogurt is 5% fat, and has 5g carbs.

The skim milk and lowfat yogurts have 7 to 9g carbs per 1/2 cup serving.

Check the ingredient list ... some brands call it "plain" and even so, they put sugar in it

I use either Greek or organic yogurt in place of sour cream. Most commercial sour creams contain modified cornstarch and vegetable gums to make them thick .. and they end up being the same carb counts (1.5 to 2g per 2 Tbsp serving).

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:20

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Oh, by the way, the plain yogurt would be great for your kids. Why don't you add some mashed or pureed fruit to it and try again.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:40
Forum Founder

BF:

Kay, thanks for the reminder about the lactose in yogurt being consumed by the live acidophilus bacteria. I forgot about that. There's more information about this also at the Go-Diet website too... http://www.go-diet.com/

Tina, you can use plain yogurt to make a delicious protein smoothie. 1/2 cup yogurt + 1/2 cup water + your favourite lowcarb protein shake powder (strawberry or orange are yummy) .. blend and enjoy! When it's hot, use crushed ice instead of water, whirl it up in the blender to make a thick milkshakey thing.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:54

Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default yogurt

Well the label says "fat 10g, saturated fat 6g, carb 12g, sugar 12g, and protein 9g". Then at the very bottom it says "Calories per gram...fat 9, carb 4, protein 4".

Under ingredients it says: cultured pasteurized organic whole milk, pectin, made with multiple orgasims: S.thermophilus, L.bulgaricus, L.acisophilus, bifidus, L.casel, and L.reuteri. Live active clutures.

I have no idea what the heck all that means. Is it ok for me to eat? BTW it also says its organic if that means anything. The brand is Stonyfield Farm. It tastes nasty so if it is OK to eat I'll have to try your smoothy idea Doreen.

Thank you both for the articles. I read Kays and I am off to read Doreens now. Glad to know the yogurt is healthy for the kids my 2yo eats atleast 2 cartons a day!!

Tina
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 11:41
Forum Founder

BF:
Red face apologies ...

The GO-diet website does not have the article I mentioned ... because it is in the BOOK, not the website. Sorry to anybody who's trying to find it ..

However, the Goldberg-O'Mara (GO) diet is a lowcarb regimen that promotes the use of yogurt and kefir, because the live cultures supposedly consume the lactose sugar ... up to 8 grams per cup. Thus, the actual carb count that is biologically available, and calorically significant may be 8g per cup (or 4g per 1/2 cup) LESS than what is stated on the label. The key is LIVE culture, and organic is your best bet. By the way, if you love buttermilk, you will absolutely adore kefir (pronounce kay-fer).

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 21:21

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina3869
Well the label says "fat 10g, saturated fat 6g, carb 12g, sugar 12g, and protein 9g". Then at the very bottom it says "Calories per gram...fat 9, carb 4, protein 4".

Under ingredients it says: cultured pasteurized organic whole milk, pectin, made with multiple orgasims: S.thermophilus, L.bulgaricus, L.acisophilus, bifidus, L.casel, and L.reuteri. Live active clutures.

I have no idea what the heck all that means. Is it ok for me to eat? BTW it also says its organic if that means anything. The brand is Stonyfield Farm. It tastes nasty so if it is OK to eat I'll have to try your smoothy idea Doreen.

Thank you both for the articles. I read Kays and I am off to read Doreens now. Glad to know the yogurt is healthy for the kids my 2yo eats atleast 2 cartons a day!!

Tina

Can I chime in?

Yes you can eat it, dive in face first if you want!!! I go through a large tub of the Stonyfield farms in about a week!

I use it in a lot of things as well, two tablespoons in my protein shakes, after a meal I eat about 1/2 cup to aid my digestion and keep the acid reflux at bay, I mix it 1 to 1 with Newman's Own anch dressing and use that on my slalds when I don't use vinegrette dresing and so on.

Here is a wicked good desert! (1 to 1 ratio again) 1/2 cup Stonyfield Farms Yogurt, 1/2 cup heavy coconut milk, 3 mashed blackberries and two mashed strawberries, a shot (less than 1 teaspoon) of DaVinchi SF Vanilla Syrup and a teaspoon of Flax Meal, mix it all up and eat it. Most of the time I don't use the sweetner either!

It is really good stuff!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 22:32

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I purchase low carb yogurt. Trader Joes has a marvelous yogurt cheese that has very little car bs, something like 2. It is not flavored so I eat it with my strawberries. I also enjoy Danons low carb yogurt.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 07:43

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I purchase low carb yogurt. Trader Joes has a marvelous yogurt cheese that has very little car bs, something like 2. It is not flavored so I eat it with my strawberries. I also enjoy Danons low carb yogurt.

I forgot to ad that! I also use the Low Carb Yogurts by Blue Buunny and Dannon...usually as a desert type treat.....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 11:19
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I bought a yogurt maker and use half & half to make yogurt. I let it culture for 24 hours so I know the probiotics are maxed out, the lactose is eaten up, and the carbs are probably negligible. It is the thickest, creamiest, most luscious yogurt I've ever tasted, and the tartness is just perfect, not overpowering. My husband, who is not much of a yogurt eater, loves it and raves about it. The yogurt maker was under $30 at Amazon, and makes 7 little 6-oz jars. I think it will pay for itself in no time.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 11:32
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I forgot to add: I think the benefits of eating yogurt with active cultures far outweigh the possible carb content. And I tend to believe that Dr. Goldberg is correct that the act of culturing the milk reduces the carb content by half or more. He has measured this in his laboratory. I see no reason not to believe this.

Commercial yogurt is not cultured very long. I've read anywhere from 2-4 hours at most. When you make it yourself, you can extend that culturing time, increase the probiotic benefits, and reduce the carbs even further. 24 hours culturing time is what is recommended by Elaine Gotschall, who wrote the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 16:59
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it's worth noting that this is a 2001 thread, and that the information about carbs being consumed by the culture is a little out of date.

Have a look at the great information here: The truth about carbs in yoghurt.

Cheers,

Rosebud
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 17:18
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

I was glad to see you expose the yogurt carb myth, Rosebud. This comes up every few months on one thread or another.

I love yogurt, and now that I am in maintenance, I eat some of it almost every day. One of my favourite things is to take a package of sf jello and make it using 1 cup of boiling water, 1/2 cup of cold water, and a 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. Wow, is it good. Since that makes four servings, the yogurt carb count is so low, that even people really doing very low carb can have this great treat.

I also use it as the base for salad dressings, oh yum.

vicki