Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/208/180 Female 5ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Extreme Tired During Morning

Does anyone know if a person is eating too low of carbs will it make you extremely tired? I have been falling dead asleep on the couch like an hour after I get up in the morning but I haven't been eating any carbs in the morning. Come the afternoon when I've had a few carbs I don't seem tired anymore.
There is soooo much to learn on this woe. I'm also finding I've been tossing around adding some high fibre bread or cereal back into my diet as I'm having a hard time eating fried foods all the time. I don't like fried food alot and it's also affecting my family. We are used to baking or broiling our meat. I'm really tired of eating eggs for breakfast in any fashion also. What else can you eat for breakfast?
Thanks for the tips.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 12:31

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Deb, are you taking vitamins and mineral supplements like it recommends in the book?

I know for a while before I started taking them I was dead tired. From looking at your journal it looks like you are not eating nearly enough calories, this could also be a factor in you being tired. The body needs fuel in order to burn that fat. It could be that after your mid morning snack you start to feel better is because you took in more calories.

You can eat other things besides eggs. I suggested to you in another thread about our recipe sections that you can browse through and get ideas of what others do for dinner and breakfast. Not sure if you saw that or not. On the orange bar above is a "low carb recipe" link....and there is also a Kitchen recipe forum off the main page you can look at user posted menus.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 12:35
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi there!

Tiredness: I've always been told that tiredness is a sign of low potassium levels. Take a supplement and see if it helps! Also, if you're not sleeping well you may want to take magnesium/calcium supplements at night. I had insomnia on this WOL for a few days and then took a suggestion to try calcium with magnesium and I've been sleeping great! Finally, if you're still in induction it takes a few days for your body to convert to using ketones as fuel, but it sounds like you've been doing the diet formore than 3-4 days.

Fried foods: Just out of curiousity, you don't mean breaded fried foods do you? Of course you can bake, broil, or eat your protein raw (sushi without rice!). I make my chicken and fish on the Foreman grill, so I rarely fry anything.

Breakfast: I like to eat lox (smoked salmon) with cream cheese in the morning, or tuna salad. Eggs do get tiring after a while! Start thinking of non-breakfast food for breakfast, like salads or beef - just because it's unusual doesn't mean it won't work for you

Hope this helps!

-Jinkster
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 12:37

BF:

I haven't been taking any supplements other than Vit C 1000 mg slow release. I don't have the money right now to buy any. I did see you recommend the recipe page in you other reply. I'm just very limited as to a food supply right now also and it's kind of bumming me out but it's only for a very short time. I've never been one for taking vitamins. I have calcium and potassium supplements here but haven't been taking them. Maybe I should.
Are you suggesting a multi-vitamin? What kind is the best?
Thanks for your help
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 12:40

BF:

Thanks Jinkster, I will try the potassium, I've been doing Atkins exactly 1 month yesterday. I've lost 17 pounds!! I'm also finding my creativity is not very good when it comes to food so I'll start looking at recipes. My problem is I don't like fish, I did force myself to eat a can of salmon with mayo yesterday for lunch, it was ok. The other thing I know is I'm not eating enough veggies so I have to work on this. I'm also not hungry so I have to force myself to eat what I am eating. I did start a journal though so we'll see where it goes from here.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 13:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Debbie!

Here's one way to get your veggies in without stuffing yourself...use them as snacks. Broccoli or cauliflower with ranch or bleu cheese dressing to dip it in, celery spread with cream cheese, etc. If you're having a hard time eating 3 meals a day, try smaller more frequent meals. Many women lose weight better when they eat smaller, more frequent meals (like 5 or 6) than eating 3 larger meals a day.