Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 01:55

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Success With Enzyme Therapy To Fight Fibro

Hi there!

I'm still looking for testimonials about the success of enzyme therapy treatment because I am convinced this is a good way to get to the root cause of all these related problems, such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and IBS. I found this document, which I'm posting, rather than offering a link to it, because I'm not computer-savvy enough to send it as a link. Somehow, because it is stored as a word document on the internet, I couldn't copy in the link as I normally would.

But be patient, it could mean the end of a lot of suffering!

amanda

Here's the article:

What Fibromyalgia Feels Like

If we all woke up in the morning-every morning-feeling like a truck just ran over us, we'd have a hint of what fibromyalgia (FM) feels like. If our days were filled with constant muscle soreness that varied from bad to excruciating, but we barely had the energy to

The Arthritis Foundation lists FM as the second leading form of arthritis, and most of us have never even heard of it.

do anything about it because of the fatigue, brain fog, poor sleep and flu-like symptoms, we might understand what life is like for someone with FM. But while the Arthritis Foundation lists FM as the second leading form of arthritis, most of us have never even heard of it.
People with FM are sensitive to smells, sounds, lights and vibrations. Headaches are a common symptom. So are muscle twitches, ringing in the ears, dry eyes alternating with watery eyes and a chronic runny nose that isn't caused by a virus or bacterium. Added stress will cause FM to flare up. During a flare up, people with FM are more likely to misplace their keys and forget where they parked their car. They may lose their balance or get dizzy if they turn their heads too quickly. If they have to sit still for a long meeting or on an airplane, their muscles get rigid and painful. They may gain weight. Though pain is the most common symptom, the list is long and is different for everyone.
FM can occur at any age and tends to fluctuate from hour to hour and day to day. A thunderstorm may worsen the pain. A good night's sleep can do wonders. Unfortunately, a common symptom of FM is poor quality sleep, called the alpha-delta sleep anomaly, where as soon as you reach a level of deep delta sleep, alpha brain waves bump you back to shallow sleep. The body needs elta sleep to do its repair work. Many people ith FM suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome, ich also disturbs their sleep.
FM is associated with more than 46 different infections, metabolic, neurologic and neoplastic conditions including esophageal reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, low-back pain and osteoarthritis. But FM alone has no visible signs, which is probably why people who suffer from it can't always get the help and support they need.
Is FM A Real Disease?
FM has been called an "invisible illness" because, no matter how awful it feels, people who have it don't look sick and the usual medical tests come back negative. Sufferers have been told everything from "it's all in your mind" to "everybody has pain, just live with it." Without the possibility of a lab test result, many physicians have been reluctant to recommend anything but a trip to a psychiatrist's office. Devin J. Starlanyl M.D., author of The FM Advocate, refers to this common reaction as a "hardening of the attitudes." FM is, in fact, a chronic disorder involving the entire body above and below the waist and on both sides.
The syndrome isn't new. William Balfour, a surgeon at the University of Edinburgh, first described FM in 1816. The American Medical Association recognized FM as a true illness and a major cause of disability in 1987. In 1990, the American College of Rheumatology set the criteria for diagnosis as the existence of pain in 11 of 18 "tender points" for three months or longer. That, and the tendency of sufferers to say they felt like a truck hit them, led researchers to describe it as looking for the "18-wheeler sign."
Still, even today, many doctors dismiss it as a "fad disease" and give sufferers little sympathy or support. Not surprisingly, sufferers have a hard time finding a physician trained to diagnose and treat their illness. One patient said it was as easy to find help as fighting in the dark.
Where's The Proof?
People with FM know their pain is real, and now there is medical proof. Researchers can look at the brain with a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to see differences in activity and identify the variations in how FM patients process sensory information.
In a study reported in the journal Arthriti s & Rheumatism, Richard H. Gracely, Ph.D. and Daniel J. Clauw, M.D., gave fMRI scans to both FM patients and people without FM. The brains of the people without FM only became active when they felt pain. But the brains of the FM patients became highly active even when they felt only slight pressure. Gracely says this is important because it shows the brain response i's consistent with what patients are saying.
Researchers say FM seems to be at least partially inherited and can show up after egisodes of stress, illness or injury. But only a out 20 percent of FM cases have a known triggering event that initiates the first obvious flare up. During a flare, current symptoms become more intense and new symptoms may develop. FM has no known cure. The good news is it isn't progressive, and it isn't fatal.
Acknowledging its existence is only the first step out of the Dark Ages of FM research. Still, this validation offers some comfort to sufferers. No one should have to prove they are in pain, but the existence of medical research can help others understand what people with FM are going through.
The Usual Treatments
Some physicians prescribe a laundry list of drugs in an attempt to control the multiple symptoms, but patients complain of disappointing results and distressing side effects. A program of good nutrition, gentle stretching and moderate exercise can help, even though the prospect of exercising may be overwhelming. Some people find relief

FM is associated with more than 46 different infections, metabolic, neurologic and neoplastic conditions including esophageal reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, low back pain and osteoarthritis.

through physical therapy, acupuncture, tai chi and yoga.
Many curable conditions mimic FM, so people should ask their doctors about tests. Simultaneous conditions will also need to be addressed. And, of course, they'll need to find a doctor who believes in and knows how to treat FM. Before seeing a doctor, people can track their symptoms by writing down a list of stressful activities, noting dates, times, symptoms and levels of pain, from aching, burning, numbness to pins and needles to full on stabbing or shooting pain.
Social support is essential. Isolation can lead to thoughts of suicide-the number one killer of people with FM. Talking with others who share the same experiences can shed new light on living with FM. People may have to learn to live with a chronic "invisible illness." But as Oscar Wilde once wrote, "The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." Hearing about others who are managing well encourages people not to let their FM define themthey are so much more than this disease.
Doctor Heals Own FM With Wobenzym
Gloria Gilbere, N.D., D.A.Horn., Ph.D., author of invisible illnesses, healed her own FM host of other "invisible ill taking oral systemic enzymes (Wobenzym) and other drug therapies. Gilbere wants people to know, "We do not need to continue to poison our bodies with high potency painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs when we have something as effective as Wobenzym available to us-because that's how I almost died."
Gilbere understands the pain, isolation and challenges associated with FM. "I was on an anti-inflammatory, and it made a hole in my gut and my whole life went down the tubes. I became chemically sensitive and homebound and the whole bit, just like my clients. So we don't need to do that." Gilbere was also taking blood thinners-. "I had to, for a long time, because I had blood clots and with wobenzym I don't have to take them. My blood stays at 'pro-time'-that's the time it takes to coagulate your blood. I don't have to take them anymore because Wobenzym keeps my blood at a natural thinness that is healthy."
Gilbere recommends Wobenzym to many of her clients, but insists they must take it correctly. "if people are taking a strong anti-inflammatory medication because they've had an accident or they have arthritis," Gilbere says, "they have to understand that they don't just stop taking that and take Wobenzym, and then say, 'well it doesn't work.' People need to work with a health professional to slowly start coming off their medication, and in the meantime, interject the Wobenzym, because Wobenzym doesn't conflict with their prescription drugs. And that way, by the time they're off the drugs, the Wobenzym has had time to get into their system and it starts working."

"We do not need to continue to poison our bodies with high potency painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs when we have something as effective as Wobenzym available to us..."
- Gloria Gilbere, ND., D.A., Ph.D.
Author of Invisible Illnesses

She advises clients to do a gradual reduction of their prescription drugs. That's how, over time, Gilbere was able to go off her own medication. She says every one of her clients that goes off medication too quickly thinks the systemic enzymes aren't working at first. "But you can't do it that way," she explains. When they tell her they went off their drugs, she reminds them they need to "slowly do a g r a d u a t e d reduction of prescription medication." Gilbere emphasizes an importance of doing this under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
The other thing Gilbere wants people to know is that because Wobenzym is not a drug, it doesn't work like a drug. "It doesn't work overnight and boom, my pain is going to be gone. You have to build up to the higher dosages, so you can get to the point where the pain and inflammation go away."
Gilbere says you have to give your body time to repair itself. "Because that's what systemic enzymes do," she says. "They assist the body in repairing itself. Once you get to the point where you're pain free or symptom free, you can start going to a lower dose and figure out, with a health professional, what your maintenance should be and whether you need to continue taking them."
Some of Gilbere's clients are athletes who take Wobenzym for injuries. When their injuries are healed and their pain is gone, they don't have to take it anymore. "I have to take it because of the FM," she says. "if you have FM, you want to stay on a maintenance dose to keep your quality of life. You won't need to continue to take high doses."
Gilbere has been taking Wobenzym and recommending it to clients for over 10 years. "For months, when I couldn't function at all, I took 10 Wobenzym three times a day. And without those I don't know what I would have done. And now, for maintenance, I take five in the morning and five at night, because it keeps my blood the way I want it, and I don't have any aches and pains. if I do eat something or do something that causes a flare tip, I'm back on my 10 Wobenzym three times a day."
Because Wobenzym tablets are easy to swallow and resemble a certain famous candy (but without the coloring), Gilbere says her clients call them their "M and Ns: medicinal, nutraceutical candy." She takes them wherever she goes and wouldn't want to be without them. "I just came back from a business trip to Seattle, which is a nine-hour drive from where I am-I usually fly but I drove this time and my Wobenzym is packed in my tote bag wherever I go. I don't want to be somewhere without it. I'm chemically sensitive, so if I get exposed to a chemical and I start getting a headache, the first thing I do is pop some Wobenzym. So I think it's important. For me, it replaces all the anti-inflammatory and other drugs that I found toxic to my body."
References
Wolfe F. Ross K, Anderson 1, Russell 11, Hebert L. The prevalence of FM in the general population. Arthritis Rheum. 1995;38:19-28.
Wolfe F Smythe HA, Yunus MB, et al. The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum. 1990;33:160-172.
Don L. Goldenberg. Fibromyalgia Syndrome a Decade Later: What Have We Learned?
Archives of Internal Medicine 1999 159: 777-785.
Thomas J. Romano and Don L. Goldenberg. Patients With Fibromyalgia Must Be Treated Fairly. Archives of internal Medicine 1999 159: 2481-a-2483-a.
Leonard H. Sigal, David J. Chang, and Victor Sloan.18 Tender Points and the "18-Wheeler" Sign: Clues to the Diagnosis of FM, JAMA
DanielDeNoon. Fibromyalgia Pain Is Real - Brain Scan Proves What Sufferers Have Always Known. WebMD Medical News,june 12, 2002
Gloria Gilbere, ND. D.A.Hom., Ph.D. invisible illnesses, 2002
Starlanyl and Copeland. Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual edition 2, 2001
Aftab J. Ahmed, Ph.D. Fibromyalgia: Pain's Braided Tapestry. totalHealth July 10- 11, 2003
Article found at: http://www.buywobenzym.com/wobenzym1.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 13:59

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I truly believe this can help some. I am now off all meds for my Fibro-seriously increasing my omega 3's, and starting a digestive enzyme and probiotic program has helped me tremendously. Upping my omega 3's and getting my Vitamin D levels straightened out has helped the Fibro inflammation tremendously. One common thread I see among Fibro sufferers and this was true for me-it the serious overmedicating physcians do for this disorder.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 09:20

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
I truly believe this can help some. I am now off all meds for my Fibro-seriously increasing my omega 3's, and starting a digestive enzyme and probiotic program has helped me tremendously. Upping my omega 3's and getting my Vitamin D levels straightened out has helped the Fibro inflammation tremendously. One common thread I see among Fibro sufferers and this was true for me-it the serious overmedicating physcians do for this disorder.

Great to hear that you have found relief from your fibromyalgia using supplements. I am convinced that a lot of today's ailments could be more successfully treated by eliminating the possibility of vitamin and mineral deficiencies than with conventional drugs.

And if you can get a doctor to prescribe Wobenzym (or another systemic enzyme formula), I am sure you would see yet more improvements. Wobenzym is not cheap, but it deals with pain and inflammation at all sites in the body, so I am sure it is good for fibro. In fact, I may well check out a few German forums (I can read German so it's no problem) to see what German sufferers of fibro say about it.

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-18, 08:58

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know if it is okay to post in an ancient thread. I find this via a search for Wobenzyme, on the forum.

I've been taking Wobenzym and hyaluronic acid for several months and find them really helpful.

If I miss one day of hyaluronic acid, I really notice it. Not quite as dramatic with the Wobenzymes, but I only take one a day. I may try two per day soon.