Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 07:16

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%
Default Muscle Musings of a Metabolically-Challenged Mesomorph

I'm finally starting a gym log. I've been posting stuff here and there in my journal. Today it's trainer time and fit test. I will post results later.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 07:50

My trainer went over my stats yesterday. I've been exercising with him for 15 weeks and I've gained 3 lbs of lean body mass (LBM) and lost 7% body fat. My strength and flexibility are off the charts but my flexibility has barely changed. My cardio is average, probably as a result of hating to do cardio! It takes a while for my heart rate to recover, according to the step test. Also, my resting heart rate is on the high side so it throws my target heart rate off I think.

Yesterday we did legs and abs. Abs kill me still but I've worked up to some more difficult moves. I prefer to do upper body to lower body, because I have a lot farther to go there!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 10:02

Plan: CKD/Carb Cycling
Stats: 240/231/220 Male 5'7"
BF:19.7%/15.3%/10%
Progress: 45%

Hey Kathy,

First off, I love the title of this thread. I am mesomorphic as well with some strong endomorph thrown in the mix. I believe I have found the answer to my metabolic challenges, and that is eat low carb! Seriously, I just posted a somewhat long response on the "Anthony Colpo vs Michael Eades" thread (LC Media I think it is), talking about my experiences just these last 3 months with the LC way of eating.

Congratulations on your progress to date. Those are some nice numbers I am seeing, particularly the loss of bodyfat. It always makes a more dramatic difference in one's appearance than just the attaining of additional muscle. As a man I can certainly vouch for that.

You know, I am not likely to ever start a gym log myself as I have no time or even inclination to hit a gym anymore. I just do my pushups/chinups/pullups/dips in the privacy of my home. I make them as difficult as possible and rest assured when you are lifting 220+ pounds as I am, it is some workout.

BTW, I hate cardio as well, just not built to be a cardio guy (love swimming for obvious reasons, no pounding of joints), but you should consider Tabata Intervals (Google it, no shortage of what you will find on these amazing protocol). Run it by your trainer to see how open minded he or she is. I have been performing it with a skip rope. Good luck with everything, you're doing great.

Oh, and of course, thank God for Josh Beckett!

FG
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 06:37

Thanks for posting, FenwayGuy. The Sox have clinched a playoff berth, but with 3 starters injured, it makes me very nervous. Beckett deserves the Cy Young, but he's got some competition in the forms of Wang and Sabathia.

I saw your post in the thread and agree wholeheartedly. Of course, as Nancy pointed out, you're a man and because you have greater lean body mass, your results happen a lot quicker.

I have done HIIT cardio. Lately, I've been doing more steady state in the form of outdoor walks, since the weather has been fabulous. I have to get back on the interval bandwagon this week.

Today I work out with the trainer. I have been doing weights 3x a week with him since I haven't been traveling. Everything changes in October when I'm back on the road.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 13:06

Workout today with trainer: back and triceps and abs.

Back:
DB Row 3 sets 12-20 reps 10/15/20
Machine Row 2 sets 15 reps 30/30
BHN Pulldowns 2 sets 15 reps 30/30(?)
Front Pulldowns 2 sets 15 reps 40/40 (?)

Triceps:
CGBP 3 sets 15 reps 8/12/12
Tri Pushdown 3 sets 15 reps 20/22/22
Overhead tri-extention 2 sets 15 reps 10/12

Abs:
Ball crunches 3 sets of 25
V-ups 3 sets of 25
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-07, 13:55

I guess I can only handle one journal at a time!

Yesterday went to trainer and worked chest, shoulders, and tris. Today I did 17 minutes of HIIT cardio and burned 170 calories. I may do some steady state later if I have time.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 09:08

Plan: CKD/Carb Cycling
Stats: 240/231/220 Male 5'7"
BF:19.7%/15.3%/10%
Progress: 45%

Good stuff Kathy. 17 minutes of HIIT cardio, well done! I just did 2 rounds recently of the Tabata protocol with a skip rope, 10 minutes total, excluding warmup and cooldown. I was still sweating long after the fact. But enough of me.

Quote:
I have done HIIT cardio. Lately, I've been doing more steady state in the form of outdoor walks, since the weather has been fabulous. I have to get back on the interval bandwagon this week.

I am sure long walks amongst the autumn colors of New England must be something. I do know the eastern part of North America is quite beautiful at this time of year. From where you are up to Ontario and Quebec, I envy you guys . And I did see that from Toronto down to Boston, NYC, etc. you have been enjoying temps in the 80's!!

I do have my favorite long, slow walk in this part of the world as well. It is more for relaxation than anything else. Almost 7 miles around a lake (which is actually a bird sanctuary), smack in the middle of a metropolis of 2 million people. It is a short drive from where I live, and a great place to get lost for a while.

Keep up the great work!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 10:44

Plan: will follow LC
Stats: 305/305/155 Female 5' 5"
BF:unhealthy
Progress: 0%

Hi Demokat,

Thanks for the visit, I really appreciate the support!

It looks like you really get in a great workout! But, what's HIIT cardio?

Someday I'd like to have a trainer to help me workout, in fact I was thinking that might be an idea for Christmas...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-08, 09:23

Plan: will follow LC
Stats: 305/305/155 Female 5' 5"
BF:unhealthy
Progress: 0%

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thanks for your online friendship and support.

& Thanks for the info. on the HIIT - interesting. I'd heard of interval training, but not the high-intensity training. Anyways, I hope you and yours have a great day!