Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 22:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Enomarb,

Congrats on your great results on your cholesterol!

You are doing so good. I really appreciate all the support you guys give on this board. It is so nice to share the good news.
Just keep doing what your are doing.
We are all different, so we just have to do what works for each of us.
I have experimented with different ways-- some not so good and slowed me way down--some did ok with me.
I will eventually learn the hard way. LOL

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your support.
Quiltlady
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 22:32

Plan: Diabetic Low Carb
Stats: 165/153.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Thumbs up

All I can say is "WOW"! I've been reading all these posts, and when things seem tough, you all stuck together and helped each other out. I am new at low carbing, I am a Diabetic, and have wicked high cholesterol. Actually, I "had" high cholesterol. My cholesterol was 307 the beginning of June, and when I had it tested the latter part of July it went down to 197. All my adult life my cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL and LDL was never right. But, I can honestly say that low carbing (along with Zetia & Niaspan) may have saved my life. Hopefully, I will be able to get off the cholesterol lowering medication. However, I just wanted you folks to know that I am grateful for all of you and for this forum. Quilt it is your Journal, and reading what you have been through has definitely inspired me. You all inspire me. Thanks..
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 10:12
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Quilt,

Thanks for the reply. My cholesterol numbers were a lot better in my before, and I know I was eating a lot more trans fats then. I think that my body is just adjusting to this new way of eating. I plan to stick with Atkins, and try not to eat as many of the LC "treats" (candy and ice cream) as I have in the past, as someone said they tend to have trans fats.

Thanks again for posting your new numbers, so we can all see that if you stick with it, the numbers will come down in time.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 09:05
Registered Member

Stats: 240/170/140 Male 5ft8in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltlady
My LDL was 158 last year and it was 226 this past week

First take a deap breath!!! Your LDL is extremly high but I can help. FIrst of all your fat sensetive. You have to lower your fat intake and saturaed fat intake. You can eat unlimited amounts of meat but It has to be lean!!!! ONLY LEAN MEAT. Stop using whipping cream and use the light kind and start doing heavy excersize!!!!! I recomend at least 30minutes a day for 7 time a week. Your ldl is very high and has to be reduced drasticly!!
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 18:55

Stats: 272/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

David S.,

I appreciate you trying to help--but I don't think you read my posts earlier in this page. My cholesterol is now down to normal numbers and I don't even have to take cholesterol lowering drugs. I am very happy with my new test numbers. I have lower cholesterol now than I have my entire life--thanks to Atkins. I have never been better. I am convinced that Atkins does lower your cholesterol and your blood pressure. Thank goodness I have stuck with the Atkins way of life. It is a life saver for me.

Quiltlady
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 22:37
Registered Member

Stats: 240/170/140 Male 5ft8in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
David S.,

I appreciate you trying to help--but I don't think you read my posts earlier in this page. My cholesterol is now down to normal numbers and I don't even have to take cholesterol lowering drugs. I am very happy with my new test numbers. I have lower cholesterol now than I have my entire life--thanks to Atkins. I have never been better. I am convinced that Atkins does lower your cholesterol and your blood pressure. Thank goodness I have stuck with the Atkins way of life. It is a life saver for me.

Quiltlady

OOPS SORRY. IM SO HAPPY FOR U. TELL HOW DID U get your ldl lower. ALso whats ur ldl score
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 07:43

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Hi Enomarb,

I may check into the Carb Addicts diet again. I like Atkins--I am just searching right now for the correct balance I may need.
I am glad that you have had such good results with the program. It sounds wonderful to be able to feel in control of your eating. I can't say that I have found that yet. I hope I am on my way to discovering the correct method to continue for life. If my doctor had not protested so much-- I might not even consider anything but Atkins right now. I just need to get my cholesterol down and it concerns me that it has become so high.
I sure do love the support from you all on this web site. It really helps to learn the tips to dieting from others who are using the program.
Thanks for all your good advice.
Quiltlady

Congratulations QL. This thread is soooo important to anyone who is doing this way of eating. If I read about anyone with a similar problem I will send them here. If I can't find this thread I will send them to the Quiltlady. So QL, you have to stay with us we need your help.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 07:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I am writing an update to my cholesterol tests. I am so happy to say that it is now 5 months since my last cholesterol tests---and the numbers have decreased drastically.
My first cholesterol test after being on Atkins for 2 months were extremely high. I was so disscouraged. You guys were right. I hung in there and stayed on Atkins very strictly--and now my new lipid panel came back very good.
I now have normal numbers--and on top of that my HDL is 68 which is great.
I don't have to take any cholesterol lowering drugs either.
Thanks for all the encouragement I got from you guys.
It does pay off in the long run.

Just wanted to let you know the good news.
Thanks again!

Quiltlady

Sorry, this is the post I meant to quote. I need to go back to bed. Congratulations