Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 18:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: -/203/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default WW & Low Carbs vs SB...Thyroid Problems

Hi Everyone! Patti here (a.k.a. ambersky)...Thought I'd be doin' SB starting yesterday, but my dr. advised me not to with a thyroid problem & tryglyceride elevations (1st. time ever in my lifetime)...Oh well...Have any of u ever experienced irrational ups & downs in either TSH levels or try levels while on SB? He mentioned for some reason it sends both/or 1 of those wacky. I've decided to try WW since that's worked in the past quite nicely & I can include low carbs in with that...since u basically can eat everything..just managing portions & following their point system. Any comments, good or bad greatly appreciated! Nice meeting u all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 19:25

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 306/271/145 Female 66 inches
BF:Do I have to?????
Progress: 22%
Default Welcome

Welcome to the forums. I wish you the best of luck. I am sorry that I can not comment on the Thyroid and triglyceride issues. I would definitely listen to your doctor though.

Kimberly
Firedancer
306/267/165
102lbs to go
39lbs lost and gone forever!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 23:58

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I have recently been diagnosed as hypothyroid. I did notice just before I was diagnosed that I didn't feel very well if I went very low carb, after being fine with it for over a year. So I'm eating basic low carb with plenty of veggies, sometimes a little rice or quinoa, plus a serving of low carb fruit. I think I'm about 50-60 gr. carb a day. I just started on the Armour so can't tell you much about it yet. I'm still adjusting to it. ~Gail
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 07:19
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 177.5/164.5/147 Female 5' 2-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi, I had Graves disease many years ago..I think it has been like 10 years. I had to take radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid. I still have 1/2 of my thyroid. Anyway, this put me hypothyroid. I have been taking Levothyroid for years and never had any problems with low-carb or weight watchers. I get my levels tested every 6 months. Once your doctor gets your dose right (and this can be a pain!!) you should start feeling good. Hope this helps.
Tara
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 07:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: -/203/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks u guys! (girls i mean!)..lol

TY for ur replies! I have been on thyroid meds for about 6 yrs. now....& am hoping that with doing WW things'll get better (they did 2 yrs. ago)..that's y my drs. r advising me to go that route again. I wish u all well on ur low carb strategies...Have a great day! Pretty warm here in N. E. PA...