Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 05:00
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Sweetners - How Closely Do You Follow The Rules

Hello All

I was wondering how closely others follow the no sweetner but fructose rule in Montignacs book. I have not had a lot of success finding products sweetend like this. Luckily I don't mind too much but I admit it would be nice to have a diet yogurt sweetend with aspartame from time time.

Any one have experience or views on this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 07:34

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I have tried some

Hi Koko,

I've tried some fructose-sweetened stuff but thought it tasted like ~#$%^&*(!

Can't say I'll ever try it again. Aspertame and I don't agree--it affects my personality and gives me headaches.

I have been fairly happy with Splenda. I l like to use the DaVinci SF syrups as they are 0 carbs. Still trying to find stevia recipes to try. Not keen on the other artificial sweeteners.

Even Schwarzbein allows small amounts of honey as a sweetener, so I have used a bit of it on occasion (and just a touch of molasses goes a looooong way in a pinch).

hth,
Pokey One
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 08:11
Stepford Malfunction

Hi there pokey one

Thanks, I sure agree about the aspartame, a little dosent seem to bother me but in concentration OW OW OW - I made a lo carb recipe for gummy bears and it was 2 packs of SF jello and some plain gelatin disolved in tiny -about .5 cup water, ooooh what a head I had for a whole day, it must have been the aspartame.

I should try to get some stevia and give that a try. Montegnac dosent say anything about it, but as stevia just seems to be coming to public attention maybe he hadn't heard of it when he wrote the book. Montegnac is very European.

#4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:17

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hey girl!

I've always been very good about the sweetner. I've never used a substitute - very bad according to Montignac. Don't make me rewrite his little rant on sugar vs artifical sweetners

If i must - I use fructose - the crystalline type. I haven't been able to taste the difference between that and regular table sugar, so I have to respectfully dissagree with pokey one. One thing to say, though, I don't buy products with fructose in, as it could be high fructose corn syrup under a different name. I just add it to foods if necessary.

I did the taste test once with my boyfriend - he didn't even realize that it wasn't sugar!

cya later

spang
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:49

Plan: /
Stats: 140/133/125
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally posted by KoKo

I should try to get some stevia and give that a try. Montegnac dosent say anything about it, but as stevia just seems to be coming to public attention maybe he hadn't heard of it when he wrote the book. Montegnac is very European.

He does mention Stevia in Eat Yourself Slim & Stay Slim - I use Splenda, does fine for me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:35
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Fuzzy

I have the Canadian version of the book, and I can't find stevia mentioned anywhere in it, does he allow the use of stevia.

The book I have is simply -Eat YOurself Slim- (does not have -and stay slim) is published in 1999 -Vitality and Nutrition Publishing
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 15:05

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 180/180/140
BF:

I agree with Spang. I use Fructose as a sweetener if necessary (for example put one teaspoon in my oatmeal for breakfast) and there is no difference to regular sugar.

I've never liked artificial sweeteners, and studies or not, I think that they produce cravings.

How are you all doing? Are you still fine with the MM?

Sandra.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 03:43

Plan: /
Stats: 140/133/125
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally posted by KoKo
Hi Fuzzy

I have the Canadian version of the book, and I can't find stevia mentioned anywhere in it, does he allow the use of stevia.

The book I have is simply -Eat YOurself Slim- (does not have -and stay slim) is published in 1999 -Vitality and Nutrition Publishing

I have the European version - and he says if you are going to use sweetner to use Stevia - but because it is so powerful and hard to measure that using fructose might be easier....

But in general he says to try to get away from using them altogether...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 08:57
Stepford Malfunction

Thanks Fuzzy

Staying away from them, thats pretty well what I've been doing for now - luckily I didn't use an awful lot before - I cut out the diet coke no trouble and the yogurt I simply mix pureed fruit with the plain and its great.

#10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Default sweeteners

i have read some pretty scary stuff about fructose. i can post it if anyone is interested, it is in one of my books. aspartame gives me headaces, and i think it is scary. i use saccharine, if i must, though i try to buy really good coffee so i do not need sweeteners in it. i wish i liked stevia, but i think it is bitter.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:05

Plan: Montignac (was Atkins before)
Stats: 230/219/150
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default sweeteners

Sorry folks but it's Splenda for me. I understand Montignac's views on the subject but it doesn't convince me so far. Splenda is safe, doesn't rise insulin levels, is stable chemically and cooks the same way as sugar. An all around winner in my book. Of course, I use it in moderation and when necessary i.e. with tea and yogurt.

It is true that I haven't been on Montignac that long but so far so good.

My two cents...

Have a wonderful day all!

Christine
in Montreal
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:52

BF:

daneo - please do post the info you have about fructose. i can't imagine what might be scary about sugar that is derived from fruit - but you never know.

You aren't thinking about high fructose corn syrup, are you?

spang
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 08:38
Registered Member

Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Default re

i have read that splenda is made with chlorine, which seems bad, but if i lived in the states where it is available, i would probably use it. it seems the healthiest. it is so hard to choose, because there seems to be something wrong with each sugar choice, no clear cut winner. except stevia, which i do not like.
this information about fructose is from nourishing wisdom. anyway, the book says it is not recommended because it is highly refined, and actually if used daily, has more of an aging and toxic effect than table sugar. sucrose is made of glucose and fructose, and fructose is actually the harmful part of it.
i have also read that it raises cholesterol and triglycerides and makes blood more prone to clotting, to those who might be susceptible. diabetics use it, it does not raise their insulin, but does affect their heart. high fructose corn syrup is even worse.
eating the occassional fruit does not provide enough to worry over, but daily refined fructose is not recommended.
if you do a search on yahoo, you will get lots of info on this.
that said, i use saccharin, and i am sure i can find out alot more bad stuff about that on a quick search! i am certainly no expert at all here, just passing on what i have read. fructose is definitely montignac's sugar of choice.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 13:42

BF:
Default thanks for the info, Daneo!

Thanks for posting about fructose!

I think that Fructose and High Fructose Corn Syrup tends to get lumped together a lot, and they are treated as one as the same thing.

I found a web site:- http://www.thenutritionreporter.com...se_dangers.html

It's an interesting read. I'm still not worried about using Fructose - its way more natural for me than any other sugars, artificial or otherwise.

Considering I never eat or drink products with High Fructose Corn Syrup, my only fructose consumptions is mainly a tiny bit to sweeten desserts that I make, or naturally in fruits, I'm not that concerned.

But maybe I'll just stop adding sweetner in limited amounts anyway

Spang
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 17:58

Stats: 154/152/123 Female 1,70m
BF:
Progress:

you can't have sweetner in phase 1