Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 20:26

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Which Dr. Bernstein Book?

Diabetes Solution arrived today and so far I have just read a few pages and skimmed the table of contents and it seems at first glance to be mostly about Type I diabetes. I also notice that on the cover near the bottom it says "Author of Diabetes Type II".

Since I was diagnosed Type II I am wondering if I should have ordered the other book...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 23:44

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

I have Diabetes Solution Newly revised and updated, the complete guide to achieving normal blood sugars, and The Diabetes Diet, Dr bernstein's low-carb diet. I am Type II, I use them both religiously. Don't know Diabetes type II, by him but I'll look for it. i also listen to his you tube videos for inspiration, answering questions and addressing specific topics. i find that much of his messaging for T I and II are similar and motivating. Insulin issues are of course different, but heck, motivating!! Reminds me of what I have rather than what I don't have!! I get these books on my kindle as they are not available where I live. All the best!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 02:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Diabetes Solution, 2011, 4th edition is the right one, most updated information, it has everything for T1 & 2. The Diabetes Diet book is just that, the diet and recipes. As Mama Sebo wrote, his website, YouTube University, FB page are all excellent resources should you need even newer information, or want to hear him explain a concept or guideline.
As for the diet, here is a super simple one page overview, with a link to another one page "Start Guide" that covers all the basics, food lists, recipes. https://www.verywell.com/bernsteins...verview-2241679

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-30-17 at 02:29.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 07:39

BF:

OK, I got the Kindle edition since I don't want to wait anymore - reading...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 15:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I see your question has already been answered, but I will chime in anyway. The book you have (The Diabetes Solution) does have some specifics that pertain to Type I's, but most of the information pertains to both Type I and II. It is the book I started with when I was diagnosed as a Type II. Lots of great information.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-17, 06:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good story by Franziska of long-term (10 years) 150 pound weight loss and Reversing diabetes, using Dr Bernstein's diet.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/keto-die...d-loss-10-years

Ps, most libraries have at least one of his editions, or you can find them used, they all work for the diet. That doesn't change in any significant way. What changes most is the detail on medications, new ways to measure glucose, etc.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 08:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Good story by Franziska of long-term (10 years) 150 pound weight loss and Reversing diabetes, using Dr Bernstein's diet.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/keto-die...d-loss-10-years

Ps, most libraries have at least one of his editions, or you can find them used, they all work for the diet. That doesn't change in any significant way. What changes most is the detail on medications, new ways to measure glucose, etc.

I confess, I always loved reading until I got hooked on audio books. I got the kindle version which I have not read yet but I also have a subscription to Audible with a couple credits I have not used yet and found that it is also available in audiobook format! Release date: 11-16-16 - on Audible.com!

I'm finishing up a novel now but it will be the next book I listen to!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 09:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I followed Dr Bernstein's protocol precisely for at least 5 years. If you have diabetes, either type 1 or type 2, it is the best place to start.

Jean