Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Feeling a tad discouraged today...

I had settled into losing about 2 pounds a week, which seemed "slow" for someone who started at over 300 pounds, but I had made my peace with that. But I have spent the last two weeks bouncing around in the same 2 or 3 pound range and I'm actually UP slightly. I've tried telling myself that it is because I've increased my salt intake, but that excuse will only last for so long. I don't THINK I've changed my eating habits at all, but I'll admit I haven't actually been weighing and measuring, so I guess I'll have to go back to that. And I KNOW this will pass and not to get discouraged and all that - but I know that lots of really heavy people lose faster, and can eat more calories than me. I can't eat more than about 1500 a day, and even then it's the same old 1-2 pounds a week, so I'm feeling unfairly treated by life just at the moment ;-) Thought I better do my whining here since the more "average" size dieter doesn't have the same concerns. I mean - my goodness - if I only manage 1 pound a week and I've still got 130 pounds to go, I don't even want to do the math!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 10:32

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi - I do know how you feel!! And it can be discouraging. I was weighing myself daily and it was driving me crazy. So I had to vow to only weigh once a week. That has helped a little bit. Also, I don't know how old you are or any other medical conditions might be going on but for me this time around has been SLOW!!! Going through menopause and those pounds don't want to go anywhere. A good friend of mine (on this forum) asked me to think about where I'd be if I didn't stick to plan. So when I'm not losing I try to think of it as least I'm not gaining. I also gave myself a personal challenge of 100 days of clean eating. Our bodies are going through change and some of our bodies take longer than others to realize this isn't just a "phase" but that this is our new way of life. :- ) Give yourself a pat on the back for staying true to the plan and yourself. Know that the pounds will come off with time and just enjoy today! This is what I try to tell myself when I'm feeling discouraged.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 10:43

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

You know, I think the trouble comes when we compare ourselves to others or think we "ought" to be doing such and such. I'm a much much slower loser than you (I'd be a maintainer, but I refuse to give up my goal, which may in fact be unrealistic), but I console myself with the thought that I am improving my health eating this way even if the results are not always immediately visible.

I don't think there is anything I can tell you that you don't already know, or that someone else won't say more eloquently, but I know what you are saying and feeling, and you are NOT alone in feeling this way.

Oh, one thing that may not be common knowledge is that I read somewhere (where? can't remember) that when losing a substantial amount of weight, expect to take 3 years from beginning to end. Granted many people do seem to do it more quickly, but for the resistant among us, I found it comforting to know that it is not unusual. There are many many people here plugging along for 3 years or more.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 11:46

BF:

Thank you! Always nice to know I can get a bit of a pep talk :-)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 05:25
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hey 2thinchix, don't give up... remember even if it takes 2.5 years (1 pound a week). That it is worth it. 2.5 years for the rest of your life! The 2.5 years will fly by.

I weigh and write everything down religiously 99% of the time. Expect Saturday when we eat out for breakfast/lunch it is tough to do. I estimate.

But I am like you and I am really restrictive on carbs only eating those in dr bernstein's plan (which is really restrictive). I am between 1100-1500 cals a day and my carb intake is between 17-26 total for the day.

I work out with weights 3 times a week and do taichi/yoga 3 times a week.

I loose on average 1-2.5 pounds a week. My period can have me gain water weight so sometimes I loose nothing.

If you are not loosing adjust the type of food your are eating, lower your carbs, add some working out if you are not.

But keeping s journal of time eaten, food, amount, cal, carb, pro will help you figure out what works and doesn't work. Also I would track your period with that, to determine if that is having an effect.

Keep it up you will figure it out!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 07:19

Plan: LC with CO
Stats: 479.6/475/299 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 3%

All good advice. Especially not comparing yourself to others. No two people are alike. When I get discouraged...it's best to remember - we didn't put on weight overnight and it's not going to come off overnight either. Slow & steady wins the race. I lost quickly in the past and it kinda made me cocky. Now, I'm glad I'm losing at a much slower pace. It's gonna take me years to reach my goal and I'm OK with that. I've gotta eat anyway, I might as well make it healthy.

You can do it!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 08:13

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hang in there. It took me 2 years and 3 months to lose 139 pounds on my first round. If I look back at my monthly loss totals, it was normally between 7 and 9 pounds a month. But as low as 2 and as high as 11.
I suspect it'll take me at least a year and a half from today to reach goal this time around. Last 5 weekly losses were: 1.0, 1.5, 0.2, 0.4 and 1.8.
The scale bounces a lot for me. So I've found charting weekly weigh-ins and 1st of the month weigh-ins to be helpful for putting things in perspective.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 08:49

BF:

OMG - seriously?! So I tracked everything carefully yesterday - 18.5 grams carbs, 1541 calories, and this morning I am UP 2.6 pounds. I KNOW that can't be fat because there is NO WAY, but it is still not exactly exciting.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 09:09

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

Oh that sucks!!! I know how you feel...I have been there and continue to be there. So frustrating when you're doing all the right things. Stupid scale! Have you thought of other ways of tracking your progress and maybe ditching the scale? Seriously...maybe weigh yourself once a month? I can't imagine doing it myself but that's what I should do. I was talking with a friend who had surgery and is now at her weight goal. She was reflecting on her life and said that the last 6 years of her life have been the darkest because she was overweight and tortured herself daily with the scale. During that 6 years she realized that a lot of really wonderful things happened to and around her and that she missed it all because she was so focused on her weight and how miserable she felt.

It was an eye opener for me. Even now to be honest, I think ok...keep on your plan so you can lose the weight and be happy! But why not be happy today and keep on plan just because it's the healthy thing to do?? I'm asking myself this question.

I am sorry about the scale results. Really, I totally get how frustrating and discouraging that is. I hope you can find a way to move forward, knowing you didn't screw up, that your scale is a big fat stinky liar and that YOU are doing awesome.

Be happy today and enjoy life! up or down a couple pounds...you're still you and things are going to get better...just hang in there!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 11:29

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I got seriously depressed when I gained 5 lbs once. Luckily I had measured and found out I had lost about an inch in several places!
You'll get there! Do not give up!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 280/227/150 Female 5 feet, 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hey, cut your body some slack.
Hormonal cycles will cause fluid retention at certain times of the month. And sometimes, the body simply rebels at letting go of what it thinks is a safety net.

Just take the long-term view, and think of how good you feel, even if you don't see progress at the moment. Right now, your life is SOOOO much better than it was before you started, and it would get a LOT worse quickly, if you cheated. All you cheat is your self. Don't let yourself go there. Instead, think about your life. It's wonderful! Go for a walk in the springtime, get a bike and feel the wind in your hair! or get a dog, and start taking walks with him in the park.
Just get your eyes on life, instead of on that scales so hard. Some morning, you will wake up and step on the (ho-hum) scales... and shout in surprise.