Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 17:46

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%
Default How do LOW-FAT diets work?

Knowing what I do now about carbs, fat, protein, insulin and ketosis it seems almost impossible for anyone to lose weight on a LOW-FAT diet. But I know it happens, I lost quite a bit of weight once and ate less than 10g of fat a day. I ate a ton of sugar, candy and fat-free ice cream and still lost. I didn't keep track of anything other than fat back then so would my calories had to have been really low? I just can't figure out how I managed to do that. This was only 4 years ago so I wasn't that much younger. Don't worry, I'd never consider going back to that, I was just wondering...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: How do LOW-FAT diets work?

Quote:
Originally posted by Misty
I lost quite a bit of weight once and ate less than 10g of fat a day. I ate a ton of sugar, candy and fat-free ice cream and still lost.

Question: Do you think you lost just fat?

Low fat diets are very hard on lean muscle - approximately 30% of the 'weight' you lose is not fat. They are not just low fat, they are low protein. They require calorie restriction (often severe) to work as well.

I did it as well, Misty, 14 or so years ago. 132lbs in a year. It wrecked my metabolism. I was anemic and I didn't have my period for 18 months, then it was 3 or 4 a year. I was only able to do that once - kind of like a free pass. Every other time I tried it got harder and harder until eventually (just a year ago this week) I was actually gaining weight on 1300 calories a day, low fat, intense and prolonged cardio.

Sure, weight loss on Low Fat is possible - it's just not very sustainable.

My 2 Canadian cents
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 05:56

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

This confused me for a while. The fact is that most diets "work" to the extent that reducing calorific intake to less than the energy expended will over time lead to weight loss.

Low fat has the seductive feel of the holy grail. It is true that a fat gram is 9 calories and a carbohydrate gram or a protein gram is only four. It then seems a good idea to reduce the fat as you should get "more for your money". Couple this with the demonising of fat as being bad for you, lumping all fats together, and claims that it is the sure way to a heart attack, and you have a powerfull perception in peoples minds. This is reinforced when you lose weight on a low fat diet.

But there are a number of problems. The first is sustainability. In other words what happens when you stop dieting. Most low fat diets are not diets for life, they are bland and involve considerable self control because the carbohydrate and lower protein does not give the appetite suppressant qualities of low carb. When you stop dieting the body regains weight, often to a higher level than before. So you diet again and it "works" but maybe just a little slower this time. This is the classic yo yo that we have all been through.

The second problem is that low fat diets restrict protein. Protein and fat are not neatly divided into seperate compartments. You cannot just eat the protein out of an egg, and no matter how much trimming you cannot take all the fat out of meat.

This lack of protein, brings into play Nat's point in that if you deny muscle their special food - protein, muscle will diminish. Muscle weighs much more than fat and is much harder to put back. So in the yo yo scenario, you lose muscle but you put back fat. This is because it is the carbohydrate that stimulates Insulin that promotes the creation of fat. Fat itself is biologically neutral it does not make you fat.

The third problem is that the low fat message is insidous, it makes you scared of all fat. People stop eating eggs and dairy, they refuse to use oil for cooking. This means that all the good oils, and the omega 3 that they contain become the baby that is thrown out with the bath water! People deride junk food like hamburger and fries. They say it is the fat making you fat. In fact it is the potato not the frying, it is the bun not the burger that is the problem.

It is also true that for most going on a "low fat/low calorie diet" will lower the total carbohydrate intake.

The fourth problem is that to create low fat products and alternatives, sometimes the alternatives are less healthy than the natural fat product. Additives and flavour are added or completely substituted with things like soy.

You could also ask the flip side of you question, ....Why is it with the growth in low fat products, the western world is getting larger?

The reason is that not everyone is on a diet but they want to be healthy and as stated before the fat lobby is very good at getting under your skin. You are persuaded to take the low fat skimmed milk off the shelf, you will pick up the supermaket " healthy" range. You will buy the kids the low fat potato chips and think you are doing the right thing. But take out the fat and you have a higher level of carbohydrate. Slowly slowly the nation gets fatter.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 06:10

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%

Thanks Nat and Rustpot!! You guys hit it on the head. I think my calories must have been extremely low when the low-fat diet worked. Fortunately once I stalled, I started doing Atkins and continued to lose weight and got to my goal. But I shudder to think what would have happened to me had I stayed on low-fat.
I remember my 2nd day of Atkins, waking up in the morning and truly not being hungry. This was amazing to me. I was used to waking up ravenous. I couldn't wait to have my corn flakes and skim milk with a ton of sugar sprinkled on top. I would often watch the clock at work waiting for it to be lunch time, I was so hungry. The Atkins Diet gives me leeway in terms of appetite. The hunger comes on slowly now, before it would hit me like a ton of bricks, I NEEDED TO EAT NOW!! It was awful, no wonder my husband said I was a grouch. No wonder people who lose weight gain it all back with interest.
Low-carb is so wonderful for so many reasons, number one being I don't feel like I'm on a diet. Actually, I'm not, it's a way of eating....

Last edited by Misty : Thu, Aug-01-02 at 07:03.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 06:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Nutshell

Great thread guys! That puts it in a nutshell. I'm printing this one out for amunition in discussions with my low fat friends

Akiwican