Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 19:10
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

There are some guys at work who have formed a Warrior Dash team. A 5 mile run in the mud through obstacles... sound fun. I'm thinking about joining them.

About suggested resources... the internet, I guess. I lifted weights in HS & college. I jogged for a few years in my early 20's. I'm just doing what I already know and enjoying the fact that I feel better than I did in my 30's and 40's.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 21:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

THanks Ken.

Warrior Dash-Have a look on utube for live action participation. After one video I almost nixxed the idea.

Have advised my son to keep all workouts easy--and no weight lifting. Not at 14. Enough to do pull ups and push ups.
  #153   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-18, 20:23
Say NO to Diabetes!

Machine: Elliptical
Duration: 50 minutes
Distance: 3.3
Effort: 45 minutes - Rolling hills setting (level 12) plus several 30 second max effort sprints during the 5 minute cool down period.
HR: 125 to 150 for 45 minutes, 155 to 168 during the sprint session.
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-18, 20:52
Say NO to Diabetes!

Today was a tough mudder workout. The plan is to do one more tough, long workout next Sunday and then keep it light during the last few days before the 10K. The race is 9 days away.

Walked outdoors during my lunch hour at work.
Indoor walking, jogging, running & resistance training at the Y
Duration: 195 minutes walking/jogging/weight lifting
Distance: 26K steps
Effort: Besides lots of walking, I ran a 5K on the Y's indoor track, then alternated walking and running at a nice clip for at least another mile of cardio. I sort of lost track of how many high intensity bursts that I did.
So that's a total of 4+ miles jogging and running. Total cardio time: approx. 45 minutes.

Considering that I did cardio yesterday on the elliptical, I was surprisingly fresh for today's workout. I jogged the 5K at a nice pace. I think that I'm back where I was before the 12 days off due to illness. I snapped back quickly.

As far as the weight lifting goes, I'm at level 12 of 12 on the machine circuit that I currently working with. I can do 3 sets of 12 on the 7 upper body machines fairly easily. These are the beginner machines that start easier and get harder as you push through the movement of the lift. It is time for me to graduate to the big boy toys on the other side of the room. It is time to start lifting for strength.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Apr-05-18 at 20:57.
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 16:55

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Ken you are keeping me motivated for exercise! I do like to exercise but not so much when I'm home and so tired. New 2nd job where I am on my feet all day. I think I read somewhere that the race is in 9 days? You are doing great with your workouts. It sounds like you got back to normal after that cold, so the race should go off without a hitch. All your LC friends are cheering you on from the sidelines,

Kat
  #156   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 20:38
Say NO to Diabetes!

Thanks Kat. I'll be thinking about you cheering me on while I'm pounding the pavement one week from today. I'm feeling good. I'm feeling fit. I just wish I was 10 pounds lighter. Maybe next year. Anyway - I'll do the best I can.

Duration: 65 minutes
Distance: 4.1
Effort: 60 minutes - Rolling hills setting (level 12) plus a little extra speed and effort during the minute cool down period.
HR: 125 to 160.

I worked hard for 65 minutes. I hope to do the 10K in under that time. One more hard workout day planned for tomorrow. After that it will be light workouts until next Saturday's race.
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-18, 19:20
Say NO to Diabetes!

Today was my last hard workout before next Saturday's 10K. I was still feeling yesterday's workout as I got going today, but I performed well anyway.

I spend 3 hours working out with a rented carpet cleaner today. It was a physical job so I'm counting it as part of my workout.

Outdoor walk/jog at a school track
Duration: 90 minutes walking, jogging and running
Distance: approx. 6.5 miles total - 4.5 miles jogging
Effort: Walked half a mile to warm up. Jogged a 5K at a decent pace (35 minutes). Then I walked half a lap and then ran at a quick pace for 1/2 a lap. I did 3 of those. I was feeling good so I decided to jog one more mile at a quicker pace than the first long run. I jogged/ran 4.5 miles in all. To finish up I walked several more laps.

The plan for this week...

Monday - Fast all day, Do upper body weight lifting at the Y. Get 10K steps in walking.

Tuesday: Fast again if I can. Jog 2 miles at either the Y or the track.

Wednesday: Eat lots of fat and protein. Keep carbs low. Walk 10K steps and do an upper body workout at the Y.

Thursday: Eat lots of fat and protein. Keep carbs low. Get my 10K steps in walking and doing a light workout on the elliptical. Pick up the bibs and T shirts at the 10K expo for me, Kelsey and her BF.

Friday: Eat lots of fat and protein. Keep carbs low. Walking only. 10K steps max.

Race day: BP coffee for breakfast, then run. I will be happy with a time less than 66 minutes. If I'm feeling it, I'd like to push hard and finish in less than 63 minutes. The forecast looks good. 60 degrees during the race with a high of 77 degrees. No coat required. I may even leave the sweats behind and jog in shorts.
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-18, 21:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Go get em Ken! Such an inspiration, I wish you an easy and successful race.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-18, 00:19

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

In case I forget as the week gathers pace, here's wishing you a good race.
  #160   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-18, 19:08
Say NO to Diabetes!

Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes Robyn & Ambulo! I'm feeling good and the weather looks to be perfect. About the only thing left now is to do it.

Today I walked 2 miles at lunchtime. Later at the school track I walked another mile and jogged 2 miles. My pace was an 11 minute mile... about what I ran last year's 10K at. Today was chilly and I was still a little sore from my last workout. I didn't push very hard, running those 2 miles with ease. So I'm fairly confident that I will beat my time from last year.

I only managed to fast for 36 hours from Sunday evening to Tuesday morning. I ate within reason today.

So this was my last bit of jogging before the 10K. I've also decided to swap my Wednesday and Thursday schedule, doing the light workout on the elliptical tomorrow and upper body weight lifting the next day. I want two full days of leg rest before I run. So that's where I'm at. I just need to keep the carbs very low for the next few days. The last thing I want to do is to knock myself over the keto line and put on 7 or 8 pounds of water.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Apr-11-18 at 12:18.
  #161   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 21:06
Say NO to Diabetes!

Duration: 40 minutes
Distance: 3.0
Effort: Basic (flat) setting (level 1) for 40 easy minutes.
HR: 111 to 125.

Interesting note: When I resumed cardio late last year I started with the elliptical at this setting. I had trouble keeping the speed above 3.5 mph. Tonight I zipped along at 4.5 to 5.2 mph, sweated plenty, but never got out of breath and barely got my HR up. I'm definitely in better shape.

Next cardio will be the 10K Saturday morning.
  #162   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 21:27
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Saving a training idea for next year

Want Speed? Slow Down!

Quote:
Training slow has always been considered a sign of weakness or laziness. However, if you want to run, bike, or swim faster, a successful and intelligent approach is to slow down! Along the way, you’ll get healthier, prevent injury and burn more body fat too.

Traditionally, it is thought that only anaerobic training – speed work – builds speed. However, developing the aerobic system first, before attempting hard work, is ideal: you get faster without the wear and tear – and injury – that often accompanies anaerobic training. Using a heart rate monitor, a basic biofeedback device, makes it even easier.

Heart Rate Monitoring

Despite the boom in heart monitor use by athletes, it is still a misunderstood training companion. (In 1982, heart rate monitors were virtually unheard of except in athletes I worked with.) While many athletes use these devices, they often don’t get their money’s worth from them. Today’s monitors are simple to operate, and are a valuable tool for developing the most important aspect of training – aerobic speed.

Heart rate monitors are really just simple biofeedback units. But without interpretation of the data they provide – heart rate changes – their true benefits cannot be realized.
The 180 Formula

To find your maximum aerobic heart rate:
1. Subtract your age from 180 (180 – age).
2. Modify this number by selecting a category below that best matches your health profile:

a. If you have, or are recovering from, a major illness (heart disease, high blood pressure, any operation or hospital stay, etc.) or you are taking medication, subtract an additional 10.
b. If you have not exercised before or have been training inconsistently or injured, have not recently progressed in training or competition, or if you get more than two colds or bouts of flu per year, or have allergies, subtract an additional 5.
c. If you’ve been exercising regularly (at least four times weekly) for up to two years without any of the problems listed in a or b, keep the number (180 – age) the same.
d. If you have been competing for more than two years duration without any of the problems listed above, and have improved in competition without injury, add 5.

For example, if you are 30 years old and fit into category b:
180 – 30 = 150, then 150 – 5 = 145.

During training, create a range of 10 beats below the maximum aerobic heart rate; in the example above, train between 135 and 145 staying as close to 145 as possible. To develop the aerobic system most effectively, all training should be at or below this level during base building. As the aerobic system develops, you will be able to run faster at the same maximum aerobic heart rate.

Once a great aerobic base is developed, an athlete can develop anaerobic function, if desired. In some cases this may not be necessary or the time and energy is not available for such endeavors. (Successful anaerobic training can be accomplished in a relatively short period of time, a topic discussed in my book, Training for Endurance.)

One other significant benefit of applying the 180 Formula is the biochemical response: production of free radicals is minimal at this training level compared to training at higher heart rates. Free radicals contribute to degenerative problems, inflammation, heart disease, cancer and rapid aging.

As important as finding the correct aerobic training heart rate is the process of self-assessment.

Self-Assessment: The MAF Test

A significant benefit of aerobic base building is the ability to run faster at the same effort, that is, at the same heart rate. A heart monitor can help objectively measure these improvements using a test I developed in the mid 1980s called the maximum aerobic function (MAF) test.

Perform the MAF Test on a track, running at the maximum aerobic heart rate. A one- to five-mile test, with each one-mile interval recorded, provides good data. The test should be done following an easy 12–15 minute warm up, and be performed about every month throughout the year. Below is a 5-mile MAF Test of a runner training at a heart rate of 150:

Distance Time (min:sec)
Mile 1 8:21
Mile 2 8:27
Mile 3 8:38
Mile 4 8:44
Mile 5 8:49

During an MAF Test, it is normal for the running times to slow each mile – the first mile should be the fastest and the last the slowest. If this is not the case, it may indicate the lack of an effective warm up. In addition, the test should show faster times as the weeks and months pass. For example, over a four-month period, we can see the endurance progress in the same runner from the above MAF Test. Note the aerobic speed improvement between April and July:

April May June July
Mile 1 8:21 8:11 7:57 7:44
Mile 2 8:27 8:18 8:05 7:52
Mile 3 8:38 8:26 8:10 7:59
Mile 4 8:44 8:33 8:17 8:09
Mile 5 8:49 8:39 8:24 8:15

This improvement is typical during the aerobic base period. Some improve at a faster rate, others slower. Most importantly, if you’re not improving within a three- or six-month period, it means something is wrong. It may be a dietary or nutritional factor, excess stress, overtraining (such as too many miles), etc. In some cases, it may be the maximum aerobic heart rate is too high (often from choosing the wrong category in the 180 Formula). Moreover, a reversal of aerobic function, i.e., slowing of aerobic pace during base training, may indicate an impending injury – enough of a reason to perform the MAF Test regularly.

Progress should continue in some form for three to six months or more before aerobic benefits may reach a normal plateau. Adding anaerobic work to the schedule before this plateau may impair (and ultimately even reverse) further aerobic progress.

The greatest benefit of the MAF Test is that it objectively demonstrates aerobic improvement in the form of aerobic speed. These changes also reflect competitive improvement.

https://philmaffetone.com/want-speed-slow-down/
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

As so I don't forget tomorrow, have fun in the race this weekend. Lock into "the flow zone" when you find it and enjoy the ride to the finish
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 07:13

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Ken! Popping in to wish you good luck with the race tomorrow!

Your training idea was an interesting read. At my gym, they have a heart rate monitoring system and often encourage people to go into their red zones or 90%. I don’t have one because I didn’t think it really suited my purpose for my work outs.
  #165   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 10:06
Say NO to Diabetes!

Thanks for the encouragement Thud & Renee. Both of you know what it is like to enjoy being active. Getting healthy sure opened up the possibilities of life, didn't it?

I picked up the bibs and t-shirts yesterday. Kel and her BF will be participating with me. Hot Patooti and The Twist will be running against KETO MAN.