Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-18, 08:57

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
...I was feeling a bit under the weather this weekend. I think it was a mild chest cold. I'd planned for a longer run. My legs were fresh but my lungs were not up to it.

My wife and I signed up for a gym membership at the Y today...

Hi Ken! I hope the cold passes quickly.
Great that you joined the Y gym. I imagine the price there is very reasonable - what a stroke of luck that it is on your way to/from work.

I am lucky to be able to join my friend at her gym after work 3 days a week. She wants to go but won't by herself so having me help her make exercise a habit before I leave ATL is a good thing. I haven't been up to doing the machines, but I want to do them. They also have Fitballs there, so want to find a book and use those as well. My Balls and Bands book is packed and buried in the storage unit.

Your training for the race is helping keep me inspired to get MUCH healthier. I exercise 4-5 days a week but really want to be in better shape than I am.
Keep up the good work!
Kat
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-18, 20:38
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Thanks for checking in on me Kat. I am working hard. I am definitely in great shape below the belt. The legs are rock solid. Now if I could just melt off these love handles I've got. Exercise is good, but I've got to eat better to shed the excess weight. I haven't made much progress in that department lately. We just keep plugging away, don't we.

Run/walk at the YMCA indoor track
Duration: 120 minutes
Distance: 8 miles (or so)
Effort: I walked a mile to warm up, then ran a mile in under 10 minutes. I then alternated walking and jogging at a quick pace. Total miles jogged: 3.5+

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Mar-06-18 at 20:44.
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-18, 20:39
Say NO to Diabetes!

Machine: Elliptical
Duration: 50 minutes
Distance: 3.2
Effort: 45 minutes - Rolling hills setting (level 12) plus 4 minutes of near max effort during the 5 minute cool down period.
HR: 125 to 150 for 45 minutes, 155 to 165 during the sprint session.

I was a little sluggish today. Still recovering from yesterday's tough workout. I'm happy with my efforts today
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-18, 20:44
Say NO to Diabetes!

Run/walk at the YMCA indoor track
Duration: 62 minutes
Distance: 4+ miles
Effort: I walked a mile to warm up, then jogged 2 miles at a decent clip. I then walked out the rest of the hour to cool down.

I'm eating lots of protein. With harder, more frequent workouts my appetite seems to be demanding it. I seem to be recovering well, so perhaps it is the right thing to do. Weight loss is not happening, though. I'd hoped to get well below 200 by race day. At my current weight I think I will have a tough time doing the 10K in less than 60 minutes. It's not a big deal to me if it does not happen this year. I'll still shoot for it, though.

A secondary goal would be to do the 10K in under 63 minutes. If I do that then I will qualify for a seeded wave next year with fewer walkers to dodge. I'm feeling good. If I keep working at it I should beat my last year's time of 67 minutes. That was better than a 4 minute improvement over the year before. A time of 62 minutes 59 seconds will require another 4 minute improvement. It could happen.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-18, 17:20
Say NO to Diabetes!

In the AM I went to the Y for a walk indoors and to hit the weights for an upper body workout.

In the PM...

Outdoor run/walk at the school track
Duration: 40 minutes
Distance: 3.25 miles
Effort: I walked half a mile to warm up, then ran 2.5 miles in under 28 minutes.

Kel is home from GMU for spring break. She ran with me today. She beat me by 150 yards for the first 2 miles. Then she called it quits and let me run the last half mile on my own.
  #141   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-18, 12:17
Say NO to Diabetes!

Yesterday I'd intended to do a 3 mile walk. I was in a hurry to get back, though. I had a roast in the oven to check on and needed to be back within an hour. During the walk I decided to throw in some running off and on. It ended up being quite a number of brisk jogs. I managed to work in an extra mile and still make it back within the hour. The faster workout worked out well.
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 20:36
Say NO to Diabetes!

I had a colonoscopy on Tuesday. I took a few days off from cardio to let my bum recover.

Wednesday I went to the Y to do my upper body resistance training circuit. I also did some walking on their indoor track.

Today...

Outdoor run/walk at the school track
Duration: 35 minutes
Distance: 3 miles
Effort: Started too late for a warmup. Ran 2.5 miles in 26 minutes then walked 2 laps to warm down.

Kel is still home from GMU for spring break. Again she ran with me today. As usual she started out faster than me. I caught up with her at 1.5 miles. After the rest days I was feeling pretty good. Today was a short workout, but a good one, too. Day 2 of an EF.
  #143   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 20:24
Say NO to Diabetes!

Friday: Upper body resistance training at the Y. EF Day 3

Today: Another butt busting workout.

Indoor walk & resistance training at the Y in the AM
Outdoor walk/jog at a school track in the PM
Duration: 205 minutes walking/jogging
Distance: 13+ miles
Effort: Walked 2.5 miles at the Y. At 4pm I went to the track and walked a mile to warm up. Then I jogged 4.25 miles at approx. 5.6 mph. The remaining time I walked and jogged on alternating laps until I'd completed a total of 6.25 miles jogging. Then I did more walking to warm down. 30K steps today.

The weather today was nice for an outdoor workout (60 degrees). The 4.25 mile jog was at a decent pace, yet I found it pretty easy to sustain. It has been taking me a mile or two to warm up and find my comfort zone with the jog. Today that happened within the first mile. I think that I'm finally getting into decent jogging shape.

The 10K is 4 weeks away. The plan is to work hard for the next 2 weeks and then dial back to recover and rest up before the big day. I'll be surprised if I don't beat my time from last year.
  #144   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 22:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ken, did doc have anthing to say about LC and GI?
  #145   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-18, 10:08
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
ken, did doc have anthing to say about LC and GI?

If you are referring to the doctor that performed my colonoscopy, he didn't really say anything. I only had a few minutes with him before and after the procedure. I'm not sure if he even knew much about my weight loss story. It was the nurses and other technicians that heard it before things got started.

After yesterday's big workout I had a very large dinner with lots of fat, protein, and fiber. According to the MY PLAN calculations I burned more than 2000 calories in yesterday's workout. I ate 3500+ calories yesterday, including well over 200g of both fat and protein. My BMR is supposedly somewhere between 2200 and 2400 calories per day, so by the numbers it was still a weight loss day.

A few days ago I watched a Diet Doctor video related to protein intake. It was taken from Ben Bikman's presentation at the recent LC Breckenridge conference. In a nutshell, he recommends not being paranoid about eating too much protein, as seems to be the trend in the current popularity of ketogenic diets. He talked about several processes, including how getting enough protein will make white fat behave like brown fat - generating heat and burning energy. He mentioned 'meat sweats' that some people get - people that are often feeling warm when others around them are not. It was a good presentation.

The reason I mentioned this is because I appear to be a prime example of who Ben was talking about in his presentation. When I fast I feel cold. When I eat deep keto and limit my protein I feel cold. Last night after the workout I ate a boatload of protein and fat. I went to bed at 10pm feeling fine (not cold and not hot). I pulled the extra blanket off the bed and fell asleep quickly. Then at about 2am I woke up roasting and sweating like a pig. The room was colder than it was when I went to bed, but I was hotter. I wasn't sick, either. I felt fine in the morning (falling asleep again after shedding another blanket). I think that it was just my normal reaction to eating a lot of fat and protein after a hard workout. I don't know if it was a rebuilding lean muscle process or that "white fat behaving line brown fat" thing that Ben talked about. But I most definitely had the "meat sweats."

The plan for today is to just get my 10K steps in. The legs are not sore, but they were a little sluggish this morning. Depending on how I feel this evening I may spend some time on the elliptical at the gym.
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-18, 10:58
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
A few days ago I watched a Diet Doctor video related to protein intake. It was taken from Ben Bikman's presentation at the recent LC Breckenridge conference. In a nutshell, he recommends not being paranoid about eating too much protein, as seems to be the trend in the current popularity of ketogenic diets. He talked about several processes, including how getting enough protein will make white fat behave like brown fat - generating heat and burning energy. He mentioned 'meat sweats' that some people get - people that are often feeling warm when others around them are not. It was a good presentation.

The reason I mentioned this is because I appear to be a prime example of who Ben was talking about in his presentation. When I fast I feel cold. When I eat deep keto and limit my protein I feel cold. Last night after the workout I ate a boatload of protein and fat. I went to bed at 10pm feeling fine (not cold and not hot). I pulled the extra blanket off the bed and fell asleep quickly. Then at about 2am I woke up roasting and sweating like a pig. The room was colder than it was when I went to bed, but I was hotter. I wasn't sick, either. I felt fine in the morning (falling asleep again after shedding another blanket). I think that it was just my normal reaction to eating a lot of fat and protein after a hard workout. I don't know if it was a rebuilding lean muscle process or that "white fat behaving line brown fat" thing that Ben talked about. But I most definitely had the "meat sweats."

Thanks for sharing this! I think I might be an example of this too. I'm working primarily on a calorie reduction plan right now, and a part of that is reducing/limiting carbs, but I'm not really paying attention to how much protein I'm eating. I've noticed being cold too! I've wondered if my metabolism was shutting down. Am going to try to focus on consuming more protein as an overall percentage of my calories and seeing how it comes out. I've read through Ketogains about how the fear of protein on a low carb diet is hogwash, as that gluconeogenesis (turning excess protein into sugar) is demand driven anyway, and will not happen just by "overconsumption." Is that Diet Doctor presentation something that is free? Or is behind their "pay for" program?
  #147   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-18, 12:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

It has been 12 days since my last cardio workout. That was certainly not in the plan. Life happens. I caught a nasty cold shortly after my last big workout and it hung on for 10 days. Even on days where I felt good enough to workout I had bad weather or other life interruptions. I've also not made any progress on the weight loss front in the past month. So I'll be running the 10K this year a few pounds heavier than last.

It is what it is. I feel good now. The weather is better. I have 10 more day where I can train for the event. On a positive note, I have felt more fit every year. I feel strong. My legs are good to go for this 10K. I don't have any expectations about what time I will get other than I will likely improve my time from last year if my competitive nature wins out. Even if it turns into a 'fun run' at a slower pace I will not be disappointed. I'm doing my 3rd 10K in 3 years. How can that not be anything but grand?

Yesterday -
Machine: Elliptical
Duration: 45 minutes
Distance: 2.8
Effort: 40 minutes - Rolling hills setting (level 12) plus 5 20 second HIIT sprints in the remaining 5 minutes.

This workout was a little harder than the last time on this machine. I did feel a little rusty and possibly still under the influence of the cold bug I just fought off. I worked up a good sweat. Mission accomplished.
  #148   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-18, 21:36
Say NO to Diabetes!

It felt good to get a nice workout in this afternoon. First I went to the gym to do some walking and upper body resistance training. I then went to the school track for some cardio.

Indoor walk & resistance training at the Y
Outdoor walk/jog at a school track
Duration: 120 minutes walking, jogging and weight lifting
Distance: approx. 5.5 miles
Effort: Walked 2 miles at the Y. At the track I walked 1/2 mile to warm up, jogged 2+ miles and then alternated walking and sprinting 120 yards (High Intensity Interval Training), 5 sprints in all.

At the track I felt fairly sluggish at the start, but once I warmed up during that first mile of the jog I started feeling good. I was feeling great after the workout. My leg muscles complained a little. That gap of 12 days was too much. I regressed some. If I get plenty of workouts in this week, I'm sure that I will snap back to where I was 2 weeks ago.
  #149   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 20:26
Say NO to Diabetes!

I had a good workout today

Indoor walk & resistance training at the Y
Outdoor walk/jog at a school track in the PM
Duration: 140 minutes walking/jogging/weight lifting
Distance: 19K steps
Effort: Walked for an hour at the Y with 30 minutes of weight lifting in between. I then went to the track for an outdoor cardio workout. I jogged a slow mile to warm up and then alternated doing 1/2 a lap walking then 1/2 a lap running for 6 or 7 laps. . Then I did more walking to warm down.

I didn't push too hard. I was not fully recovered from the last cardio workout. The legs were still a little sore. I'd like to get in two harder workouts between now and Sunday. After that it will be lighter workouts until race day.
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 14:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hi Ken, Thanks for posting your work outs. Son starts going to the local gym today to start work outs. He has NO idea what he is doing.....just sees lots of toys to work out on.

He wants to do the Warrior Dash in August.

Can u suggest resources for him?