Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 14:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default A New Turtle Club for August 08.

I was just browsing though the turtle thread and seen that no one posts there anymore. What happened?
I have decided to start a new Turtle club for us here so please come in a post here with me.
Let us know how you are doing, you successes and failures to. Feel freely to talk about anything you want, we are here to help each other out.
We may be slow losing our weight but in our hearts and mind we know we can lose it. We just need that little extra shove I think.

So join me here today and lets get started on our new journey with our weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 20:34

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

I don't know if my loss is slow enough to be considered part of the turtle club (probably not since I just restarted), but i can use all the encouragement I can get! I'm doing a lot better sticking with it this time than last time around, but not as good as the first time either. Sigh.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 21:10

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm a charter member.... at about the same weight for 4.5 years no matter what I do. Right now I am being checked for hormone imbalance and excessive cortisol.

Keep on trying.

Julie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 13:18

BF:

Lonewolf, welcome to our new turtle club. You don't have to lose slow to join us, we welcome everyone.

Julie, I always stayed the same weight too for years until about May when I really got on the ball and got strick with my eating. I am losing but slow, but at my age I guess thats normal.

Come in and post often and let us know how you are doing ok. Tell us how you are losing your weight, your goals etc.

My goal weight is around 145 so thats what I am aiming for but I have alot of weight to lose to get there though. But I am trying to lose it now so thats what is important I guess.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-08, 00:19
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi, everyone! I'm still a turtle!

I switched to Atkins '72 a month ago, and I am losing again, but very slowly. The first month I lost 10 lbs, but now I'm back to counting my losses in ounces. Oh, well, at least they're losses and not gains.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 09:38

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default New member kinda long

I could certainly be labeled a Turtle!!

Here’s my story of how I got to his web site: For the last 3 months I have been doing a typical “grocery” diet, 1500 calories a day. Low fat, moderate proteins and high carbs. Well in those 3 months of being hungry, working my way up to 3.5 miles of running, crying, being frustrated I lost was 3 pounds. Big WHOOP, right? It was a lot of work.

So a few weeks ago I decided to do a low carb 'test'. In a week I lost 6 pounds then the PMS monster reared its ugly head and I ate just about everything I could get my hands on. If I have my druthers, I’m not a big meat eater, I like it but I’ll choose carbs over meat any day. So during this 3 days of carb/PMS binging I gained 9 pounds. So now I’m 3 pounds heavier that I was 10 days ago. Which was last Thursday a.m. So I said oooohhhh no! I’m not doing this. I had regained everything that I lost in the 3 months of high carb dieting.

So that very morning I decided that I was going to stick to low carb. I’m still not back to where I was before I did my week of low carb, but I am on my way. I've got 1.3 more to go to get back to my pre low carb 'test'.

I need help with 2 things:
1.) I get bored. I don’t have much of a low carb cooking imagination and can’t think of things to eat. I work and I’m busy so I need take along things too. So I need to hit the boards for recipes.

2.) I need to get over my embarrassment about what and how much I eat. I have a fairly new SO and he is naturally thin. The problem is I’m fat so I eat more than he does. I usually eat smaller meals because of the absence of carbs but I need to eat more often than he does and I feel awkward about it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 13:15

BF:

Hello all you turtles. I know I am a turtle because i am losing but slowly. But i am told thats a good thing so i do not worry about it. I read up on losing slow and it says that you can keep the weight off and not regain it back if you lose it slow.

My eating is going ok and I am feeling better about myself now, I was so digusted with me because I was so fat and looked awful and was just self conscious about it to but now since i am losing I am trying to have a better outlook about myself. I know I will never be a ravishing beauty but I just want to be thinner and not have people always critizing me because I am big.

Breakfast was two scramble eggs and two slices bacon and coffee.
Lunch was a salad topped with smoked oysters and I had green tea to drink.
Supper is going to be grill porkchops and steam cabbage.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 08:40

BF:

Love the animated turtle Sissy! Too fun.

I’d be happy if I could just lose some of my belly. I’m all belly, the big apple, that’s me. I’m trying.

I just started coming to this web site and I’ve joined up on the Daily Weigh in Thread under Semi Low Carb. We could use some company if you’d like to track your weight daily with us.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 12:40

BF:

I to am all belly fat and no matter how much I do lose it will not go away, it just hangs like a big flab of skin. I hate it.
I have tried exercising it off but still it hangs on me. The only way to get rid of it is by surgery and I am scared to have that done.
Anyway I am still way over weight and need to lose alot more.
Guess whn I do lose it all I will look like a big flad of hanging skin.

I just wished I never allowed myself to get this big in the first place, I get so mad at myself for doing that. I was always thin until I had my two children and then the weight started to hang on me. I even had my thyroid checked out long ago to see why I was gaining weight so fast because at that time I was not eating much.
But it was my own fault I gained I could have just not ate like I did, I mean with all the fast food junk that is out there. Thats where alot of my fat came from.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 15:20

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!

Hey there, count me in to the turtle club. Went on Atkins in March and lost 7 pounds first week, second week gained back 3 pounds...net loss 4 pounds...nothing for the rest of the month. Month 2 nothing... Month 3 went on CAD lost 5 pounds...12 pound weight loss... Month 4 nothing.... Month 5 switched to carb cycling...lost 3 pounds....then gained it back... Now I've switched to South Beach and so far lost 3 pounds in six days...still not at my lowest, need to lose two more pounds ... Going to try to stick with this program to get the rest of the weight off...frustrated beyond belief...

I'm also feeling fat as ever and ugly as ever, feeling like I will never be able to get a date again....or ever be attractive again...

Regained 55 pounds last year due to meds that I had taken off with Atkins, now I think the meds and hormones are just making it difficult to lose...too bad...so sad....!!!

TJ
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 06:38

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I'm right here with you all. I've been LC'ing (actually BACK to LC, I did it many years ago with great success) for about a month now and the scale has not budged. AT ALL. Very frustrating. The killer is I AM smaller - my belly fat is noticeably decreased, my arms are smaller, my pants fit better - but the scale calls me a Liar. big sigh. I'm a heavy exerciser and that's probably contributing to the scale issue (I do cardio plus heavy weight training). Still - c'mon!! Unlike some posters who really don't enjoy meat/protein, I really, really, do, so this WOL is ideal for me. But it's frustrating to keep looking at the scale and wondering when/if it'll ever cooperate.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 07:09

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!

I just started a Couch to 5K Running Program three weeks ago and have only lost 2 pounds and this has been in the last 7 days...regained 4 pounds within first week of program. I just don't understand....I thought it was Atkins and too much fat, now that I'm on South Beach it has less fat, but still has good fats....my body is still not letting go of the weight and my stomach and thighs are huge, never had weight in my stomach area like I have now...heavy sigh...

TJ
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 07:11

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Skee, I'm guessing, like me, you're in your mid-40's? It's amazing, I NEVER carried any weight in my belly, a flat stomach was my pride and joy no matter what my weight, then I hit my mid-40's and it seemed like a belly appeared overnight?!! I was so alarmed I thought something was medically wrong - a tumor?! But I looked into it and talked to my doctor and he said that's just what happens to women in their 40's, that's where they start depositing fat stores, even if they never did before. Terrific.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 07:46

BF:

Skeeweeaka: If you just started running you will gain. It happens to all runners. Your muscles store a lot of glycogen when you run. I gained an initial 4 pounds. When I’d stop running for more than 2 days my weight would go back down…and then back up when I started again. So you just have to accept a couple running pounds to start. Don’t get discouraged, running can be great therapy. I’ve recently had to stop because of a stress fracture in my leg so be careful, take your time, and be sure you have good shoes.

My two cents….Belly fat sucks.

I’m one of those that have to watch my calories even though I’m eating low carb. I was a little upset about it at first but then I realized that even if I do have to watch calories at least I’m not hungry all the time like I was with some other diets. So for those of you that are having trouble losing on low carb, hang in there and remember that calories do count. Just doing low carb alone can work for some but there is no magic bullet.

Anyone that wants to watch their daily progress as far as the scale goes should come and join us in the Semi-Low Carb Daily Weigh in thread. I like to see how the scale moves daily and we could use some fresh faces.

Good luck everyone and happy hump day!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 12:39

BF:

Hi all you turtles out there .My weight is coming off but slow as usual but I can tell the loss in the way my clothes are fitting me now.
I don't weigh myself at home anymore, have scales that are not really accurate, I let the nurse weigh me when I see my doctor every two months.
I see him again on the 13th.
I want so much to be able to get into a decent size clothing so I won't have to shop in the big ladies size. I just cannot find anything I like in there most times. I want to get in my 10 -12 size range. Hope to do just that by next year.

What size range are you aiming for?