Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-10, 21:53

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

What about almond milk? The unsweetened is really low in carb... I'm an anti-soy person too- though I do think some people handle it better than others. (Throw back to my blood type diet days perhaps)

That being said, in terms of carbs in milk- where I've needed 'milk' I use watered down cream... Occasionally, a mix of cream and almond milk works really well.

I am a foodie. Eating only one meal would be so boring to me- I don't mind a shake once in while, but more than one a day would bore me. I don't say that to insult you, but just to explain my next inquiry: what kinda of shakes are you drinking?

Gainers? Just iso? I'd assume some kind of protein powder, what kind? I can understand how easy a shake could be, especially in the event you don't find the intense joy from cooking that some of us do... I've always found using whey isolate makes shakes very creamy- so that berries, whey and water is fine- I wouldn't use milk.

Prior to low carb, I *adored* mango spinach smoothies. If you have mango jello powder (I don't use sf products, so I don't konw if they make mango jello) I say try adding a handful of spinach just for extra nutrients to a smoothie.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-10, 04:48
Registered Member

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 219/186/182 Male 195
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy
I'm a big fat bastard ready to freeze again in the UK....

I must admit to carrying several large prejudices against guys who dedicate themselves to getting pumped and stoked (I've been sneered at by too many of them over the years I suspect. I certainly remember being made to feel very unwelcome at a gym in Islington when I was around 18stone, the first time I forced myself through this weight loss process. Didn't help with what I was trying to do), and I'm with the majority here in dealing with some nasty issues relating to food, and how we relate to food.

But this is a big broad church you've signed up to here, and there's plenty of room for all, so welcome aboard, and feel right at home.

It might be useful to poke about and have a look at the maintenance forums, if you've not got there yet, because your expertise is going to be of greatest immediate relevance to those lucky devils, I'd have thought, than to those of us with ways to go.

Speaking personally, its only another 117lbs and I'll be in maintenance too. Come sooner than later, and before I get there I suspect I too shall pump a little iron and that!

Good to have you here. Keep writing.

Oooh I would never use the word 'expertise' with regard to my understanding. 'Experience' I can run with.

You'd have been welcome in my gym but I know what you're saying. Some gym goers can be pretty sniffy. I was never, and still am not, a very heavy lifter so I never got the chance to get snooty about it all.

Thanks though and nice to meet you.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-10, 04:49
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepo
Thanks for looking through the evidence against soy. I strongly believe that Soy is bad for you. But I do however commend that you did look through those links and videos and kept an open mind. However, on this issue, I think we should agree to disagree.

I think we both agree there is a lot more to be learnt on this whole subject.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-10, 04:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin
What about almond milk? The unsweetened is really low in carb... I'm an anti-soy person too- though I do think some people handle it better than others. (Throw back to my blood type diet days perhaps)

That being said, in terms of carbs in milk- where I've needed 'milk' I use watered down cream... Occasionally, a mix of cream and almond milk works really well.

I am a foodie. Eating only one meal would be so boring to me- I don't mind a shake once in while, but more than one a day would bore me. I don't say that to insult you, but just to explain my next inquiry: what kinda of shakes are you drinking?

Gainers? Just iso? I'd assume some kind of protein powder, what kind? I can understand how easy a shake could be, especially in the event you don't find the intense joy from cooking that some of us do... I've always found using whey isolate makes shakes very creamy- so that berries, whey and water is fine- I wouldn't use milk.

Prior to low carb, I *adored* mango spinach smoothies. If you have mango jello powder (I don't use sf products, so I don't konw if they make mango jello) I say try adding a handful of spinach just for extra nutrients to a smoothie.

I totally agree shakes all day would be boring to most. I am not so fussed on my food and as long as it provides the nutrients I do not need much else. I am almost industrial in my food outlook.

My shales are 400 ml of unsweetened soya milk, 1 egg and 4 grams SF jelly mix. That is it.

Not going to win any excitement awards for sure but it gets me through the day.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-10, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/200/180 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy
I'm a big fat bastard ready to freeze again in the UK....

I must admit to carrying several large prejudices against guys who dedicate themselves to getting pumped and stoked (I've been sneered at by too many of them over the years I suspect. I certainly remember being made to feel very unwelcome at a gym in Islington when I was around 18stone, the first time I forced myself through this weight loss process. Didn't help with what I was trying to do), and I'm with the majority here in dealing with some nasty issues relating to food, and how we relate to food.

But this is a big broad church you've signed up to here, and there's plenty of room for all, so welcome aboard, and feel right at home.

It might be useful to poke about and have a look at the maintenance forums, if you've not got there yet, because your expertise is going to be of greatest immediate relevance to those lucky devils, I'd have thought, than to those of us with ways to go.

Speaking personally, its only another 117lbs and I'll be in maintenance too. Come sooner than later, and before I get there I suspect I too shall pump a little iron and that!

Good to have you here. Keep writing.

Hi Fat Freddy, amazing weight loss you have there. And you still have a ways to go. Congrats.