Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 06:58

Plan: Atkins / PP
Stats: 160/150/155 Male 5 10
BF:18%/8%/4%
Progress: 200%
Default Do I need to increase Carbs?

Hey there... I've been in PHASE I (less than 25 carbs daily) for about 5 months. I lost about 10 lbs (I only needed to lose that) and am at aprox 8% body fat. I want to get down to 4% body fat. I exercise daily with weights and cardio for a total of about one to two hours, however my body fat% has been consistent for the last 3 months. I have heard that adding carbs can help you lose fat. Because of my activity level if I drop below 2000 calories daily I go into "starvation" mode and get SO tired I cant move and end up GAINING weight! I have been in Ketosis for the last 6 weeks consistently. My percentages are:

Fat: 63-70% (aprox 150 grams +/- 10%)
Protein: 33-25% (aprox 150 grams +/- 10%)
Carbs: 4-5% (aprox 20 grams +/- 15%)

Also, with the introduction of carbs back into the diet, how high can we go (allowing that we only add 5 a week) I've heard its as high as 120 a day, however my "protein power" kit says nothing above PHASE II or 60 carbs daily.

Weight is not the issue, its body composition.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 11:52

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sorry, but I really don't know.

Are you sure your calculations of body fat are correct? I can't imagine having 4% or even 8% body fat, even on a man. You might want to refer to the exercise forums to talk to people about changing body composition.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 12:33

Ya I'm sure about my body fat level. I've had the calculations done with a fat caliper... however just for reference I'm 5'10" 150lbs with a 30" waist...

the problem with all these "lifestyles" is that everyone is unique... its like cracking a safe once you get down to such a low fat%. The last 6% is very difficult.

Anyway, thanks for the reply

-Matt
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 13:18

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Matt - This is JMHO I think your carbs are way too low with your current activity level and also considering you are so close to your goal. We follow PP which is a moderate fat (40-50%) with higher protein than Atkins. I would slowly increase your carbs to pre-maintenance level....that will vary depending on what program you follow.

Again...JMHO
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 17:26

BF:

I agree with Ellie that you should be eating more protein for your level of activity. Also, I still think even 8% body fat is far too low. (Of course, this is only my opinion.)

In the original "Protein Power" book by Dr. Michael Eades and Dr. Mary Dan Eades, there is a chart that shows the "ideal" body fat percentages for men and women. I don't know how old you are, so I can't give you the accurate percentage, but the lowest percentage listed is 12% for men aged 10 - 30. It goes up slightly with each decade in age. According to these charts, you are way below a healthy percentage of body fat.

Feel free to ignore my opinion, but you asked.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 12:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Oh yes, your body fat ratio is way too low. You need to concentrat on increasing that for optimal health. If you were a married woman, trying to get pregnant, for example, you would not succeed.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 22:48

Sorry I should have given more info. I'm Male, 25, 150lbs. I hope I dont get pregnant.

-Matt
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 07:48

BF:

Very funny, Matt. I think Black was just making a point.

If you like, join us over on the Protein Power Pals daily thread. We all do a variation on PP, each person tweaking in the way that works best for them.

You mentioned in your first post in the thread that you weight train and do cardio. Have you ever tried Body for Life? People get amazing results with BFL, and spend far less time in the gym. You alternate a weight training and cardio every day (taking one day off each week). So, on Monday you work upper body, Tuesday you do cardio, Wednesday is lower body, Thursday is cardio, Friday is upper body, Saturday is cardio, and Sunday you rest. Then the next week starts off the lower body on Monday, etc.

You might already know about BFL, but just in case you don't . . .

BFL uses a "pyramid" structure. You do a series of sets with reps getting fewer but weight getting higher, and one final set with lower weight. For example, in my workout for biceps, I do one set of 12 with 20 pounds of resistance (I use a Bowflex mostly). Then it's one set of 10 with 30 pounds of resistance, then one set of 8 with 40 pounds, and finally one set of 6 with 50 pounds. Then I drop the weight back to 40 pounds and do one set of 12 again.

I'm sure you're familiar with this type of weight training. I find it very effective and I get results fast. You're constantly challenging yourself. There's no way I could just walk into my workout room and do 50-pound bicep curls, but working up to it in this way, I can.

And the beauty of it is that I can do a full upper- or lower-body workout in about 40 minutes.

The cardio is interval training. You start out at a slow-to moderate speed (intensity of 5) and do 2 minutes to warm up. Then you do 1 minute at intensity 6, 1 minute at intensity 7, 1 minute at intensity 8, and 1 minute at intensity 9. Then you drop back down to 6 again and repeat the whole thing again. All told, you do the 6 - 9 four times, and then you do one final minute at intensity 10, and then drop back down to intensity 5 for a minute to cool down.

This takes 20 minutes.

You end up spending a lot less time in the gym, yet you get a better workout. (My opinion, and Bill Phillips' opinion, the author of the book.)

There's also an eating plan that goes along with it. It stresses lower carbs (60, if I remember correctly), lean protein, and veggies. I didn't agree with some of his ideas for nutrition, so I do PP nutrition.

Many of us on the PP Pals thread upped their carbs to around 40 ECC and it's working better. One woman, Wendy, started losing big time after being stalled for most of last summer. I upped my carbs a bit to around 40 ECC, kept my calories around 1400, and I've lost 4 pounds already since Jan. 1.

Just some ideas.

Hope to see you over on the other thread!