Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 18:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/140/135 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 90%
Question Atkins and Vitamins & Supplements

Hi -

I've used Atkins a few times before, but this is the first time I bought the 2 week starter kit. I am taking Dieter's Advantage, Basic #3 and the Essential Oils. Has anyone else used the vitamins & supplements he reccommends? Do you find that it makes a marked difference? I got the 2 week supply on sale for $9.99, but I bought the last one. I don't want to shell out the regular price of $29.99 if there really isn't a noticeable difference.

I've lost 8 pounds in 8 days, but I've only been on the supplements the last 3 days, so it is too soon for me to tell.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:07

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Progress: 39%
Talking Welcome!!

Hi Christine~!! Welcome aboard!!

I use the following Dr. Atkins' supplements

1) Dieters' advantage
2) Basic 3
3) Essential oils
4) Basic anti-ox
5) Basic enzymes

plus Calcium, MSM, hair/skin/nail formula by futurebiotics, and psyllium/collace combo. I've found that Vitaglo.com has the best prices on Atkins' supplements. I've been using them for the past month, and I feel really good!!

I've read on other threads that it's perfectly alright to use other multi-vitamins and supplements though, so if you'd rather not use Dr. Atkins', you can just buy a good multi-vitamin/supplements at your local store.

Again, good having you aboard!!

#3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:16

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Christine,

I have taken and continue to take lots of vitamins, minerals, supplements and essential oils for years. These are suggested to reach optimum health rather than increase weight loss, in my opinion.

My food analysis today done on www.fitday.com shows that I am low in the following without supplementation at these percentage of RDA:

Vitamin K = 22%
Vitamin C = 85%
Vitamin B-6 = 67%
Folate = 42%
Calcium = 13%
Magnesium = 29%

Eating liver can really make some of the numbers jump. Salmon with the skin is also very good for the essential Omega-3 oil, but I also take Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil. Almond oil is great on salads with red wine vinegar and provides the Omega-6 essential oil. I avoid all other vegetable oils except olive oil which is Omega-9.

Good luck,

Kent
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 15:16

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Vitamins

During the first month that I was on Atkins, I was just using a multi-vitamin once a day. During the second month, I started feeling run down and tired, so I switched to Atkins Basic #3, 3X a day, fish oil supplements 6 pils a day, and calcium supplements 4 pills a day. I now feel much better. You should be taking them. Learn from my mistake. Good luck, and congratulations on your loss so far!

Last edited by 2OnAtkins : Fri, Jun-07-02 at 06:53.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 12:21

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Hey where did you buy the starter kit on sale for 9.99? I wanna try it but theres no way I'm paying 30.00 for something I'm not sure of.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 12:46

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

I bought 4 of those $9.95 starter kits right off the Atkins site - (it was a special, not sure if it's still going on) and I got my free box of Lemon Bars.

I'm still using up that supply, but at Wal-Mart I saw a multi-vitamin for low carb eaters. Less then $6. that's what I'm heading for when my stash runs out.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 17:07

Stats: 187/140/135 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default 9.95 Starter Kit

I got the starter kit so cheap because it was a sale at my local nutrition store. It was the last kit they had and they were clearing out dead space in the low-carb section. I guess Atkins doesn't sell great around here. I also got a can of Cappuccino shake mix for $3 because it expired last month.