Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 07:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/238.5/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 21%

I wasnt eating carbs...and then was yelled at because everyone was saying eat carbs (like when i was on atkins before)...Although before my steroid muscle wasting issue...i was under 90 lbs...cause of only have coffee, water and protein shakes...I would eat only in front of my family...just a little....Now i have gained a lot of weight and am losing again...slowly.....and i would rather be Zero Carb, but I have people telling me....hey...thats why you are NOT losing quickly.....Hmmmm, really?
As for alcohol...my biggest issue are friends asking me to have a drink, with me saying no and then coooome onnnnn..have one.
I also hang out with a lot of military folk *ahem...love to drink*and just feel like a kill joy when i dont. They have gotten to the point where they are even knowing...hey Rum and Vodka have no carbs...etc...
If you are starting your weight loss journey, drinking alcohol, even no carb, will inhibit weight loss because your body will burn alcohol BEFORE fat. Once in a while it wouldnt be bad...
My other issue is I LOVE MUSHROOMS! I study them, hunt them, love to cook them....Has anyone had a morel???? *YUM* That would be something that would be difficult to give up.
Also, i was told that a few vitanutrients, called Centrophenoxine, PIRACETAM, ANIRACETAM help a lot with helping your brain with blood metabolism, aminos, etc and certainly help hormone balance, including your own Human Growth Hormone, hair loss,muscle wasting, etc. My doctors recommended them to me and i am currently waiting for them to come in the mail...I have Military friends that swear by them as well. I will give an update after my first week on them....
Thanks for the ramble and any suggestions will certainly help my discouragement!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: carnivore/vlc
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 170
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
ZC is no plant foods. VLC would be with plant foods.

yes I know, but capmikee states he does Atkins / GCBC > doesn't have to be zc, does it?

Quote:
bacon:
now this is one of those subjects that we all like to talk about. maybe because of the sweet/salty taste?
many of us have walked away from bacon and eat pork belly which is bacon that is uncured and doesn't have all that crap in it..
roasted pork belly is eaten with eggs nearly every morning in my house.

we are talking the same thing then. I didn't know you are calling it pork belly. I am not from the States or an English speaking country for that matter. We call it bacon either cured or uncured. I like the cured rashers with my morning eggs.

How do you roast your pork belly, pilotGal? I am interested in your recipe if you don't mind sharing? There are so many recipes out there, but I just want a simple one and you sound like a simple cooking women
How much (grams or kg) do you roast at a time?

Thank you for taking your time to answer all the questions.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 08:25

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

marking my spot...
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 08:29
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

ahhhhh, roasted pork belly.. i could actually live on this stuff. good stuff.
i buy 6 pounds a week for the two of us.
i usually cook about 1-2 pounds at a time and keep it in the fridge for the morning meal.

i roast on cookie sheets in a convection oven for about 45 minutes at 400F degrees. i season it with salt and chili powder. i roast it til it's dark brown. because the butcher cuts it in 1 inch by 12 inch slices... there is still fat after cooking..
then i throw it in the fridge.
when ready to make bacon and eggs, i take out two slices and chunk it into bite sized pieces.
put in a frying pan and let it begin rendering fat for cooking the eggs.
when i see a nice little puddle of fatty goodness, i throw in 3 large eggs and scramble it.
this feeds one person and lasts us about 8-10 hours until the next meal time which is usually beef or another bout of bacon and eggs.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/238.5/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hmmmm...all of these years and still not much I can ever find about fungus....
Its never threw me out of losing weight range and, not to be disgusting, but, well, doesnt digest.

Also...anyone know if cough and cold pills will hurt my weight loss. When I cough, i really cough and nothing else really helps. Id rather use cough and cold tablets, typically coricidin cough and cold cause its the only one i have found with no sugar in it and allergies, would be Benadryl. I was just curious. You hear about syrups causing issues, but tablets, not so much.
Thanks again, everyone!

Also....not really hungry as of yet, but I have had 4 slices Bacon today and copious amounts of coffee (i love coffee), A good amount of water, and have walked my dog two miles.

OH! ...and I am a cheese freak...ive read that extra aged cheddar has no carbs in it, but other cheeses have some. I am not much for dairy, except heavy cream (coffee), butter and cheese.

Thanks, again!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 09:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
ahhhhh, roasted pork belly.. i could actually live on this stuff. good stuff.
i buy 6 pounds a week for the two of us.
i usually cook about 1-2 pounds at a time and keep it in the fridge for the morning meal.

i roast on cookie sheets in a convection oven for about 45 minutes at 400F degrees. i season it with salt and chili powder. i roast it til it's dark brown. because the butcher cuts it in 1 inch by 12 inch slices... there is still fat after cooking..
then i throw it in the fridge.
when ready to make bacon and eggs, i take out two slices and chunk it into bite sized pieces.
put in a frying pan and let it begin rendering fat for cooking the eggs.
when i see a nice little puddle of fatty goodness, i throw in 3 large eggs and scramble it.
this feeds one person and lasts us about 8-10 hours until the next meal time which is usually beef or another bout of bacon and eggs.

Amen to that sister

I roast the exact same way, only my slices of pork belly are half as thick as yours, using no spices at all and I use a cast iron pan and eat my pieces right away freshly roasted.

I give your version a try and ditch the cured bacon for my morning eggs.

Cheers pilotGal
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 09:28

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefrunner
Is it possible you get the stomach gas from the sauerkraut?

Have you ever tried to do zc with no plant foods at all for an extended period of time?

I've tried going without sauerkraut (or any plant foods) for a couple weeks at a time, on three or four occasions. Main result: constant diarrhea. I've tried eating NOTHING AT ALL for three days in a row. The burps NEVER go away.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique723
I found adding 2-3 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar to a cup of water really aids digestion either before or after a meal. I found this out by googling online, its a natural remedy. Its helped me out tremendously with indigestion and burping. I think as we get older our stomachs are not producing enough acid to digest food.

Apples and vinegar both have horrendous effects on my body. Apples give me diarrhea, among other things. Vinegar makes me "drunk" (confused and irritable) for 48 hours. Sauerkraut seems to help, though, which is why that's my major plant food. I use lemon juice occasionally, but it's been less and less lately.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 09:45

Quote:
I also wondered about the grass-fed meat versus the conventional meat

I buy only cheap cuts when I get grass-fed - liver, heart, tongue, bones, roasts and ground. My steaks are always corn-fed - not only are they cheaper, but they're not so tough and lean.

With chicken I always get pastured or organic, but mostly what I get is cheap stuff: stewing hens, backs, and feet for making stock. Wings for eating.

I get pastured pork when I can, even chops, but I still go for cheap when I do. I love me a pastured pork butt. I also eat a lot of CAFO chops and ground pork.

Unfortunately, the small processors around here who do the pastured beef and pork don't have the facilities to scald the feet, so ears and tails are the only extremities I can get.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 10:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I buy only cheap cuts when I get grass-fed - liver, heart, tongue, bones, roasts and ground. My steaks are always corn-fed - not only are they cheaper, but they're not so tough and lean.

With chicken I always get pastured or organic, but mostly what I get is cheap stuff: stewing hens, backs, and feet for making stock. Wings for eating.

I get pastured pork when I can, even chops, but I still go for cheap when I do. I love me a pastured pork butt. I also eat a lot of CAFO chops and ground pork.

Unfortunately, the small processors around here who do the pastured beef and pork don't have the facilities to scald the feet, so ears and tails are the only extremities I can get.

wow dude, you really do the hardcore stuff!!!

I never in my life ate heart, tongue, tails, ears or feet of any animal. Thinking about it doesn't make me salivate. But then again, I have been vegetarian for so many years. We may talk again in 20 years, haha.

What's CAFO chops?

I keep my fingers crossed that time given your burp issue will solve itself and your body will heal. Good luck with that. Cannot think of anything to help or suggest. What does your doc say?
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 10:27

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I've tried going without sauerkraut (or any plant foods) for a couple weeks at a time, on three or four occasions. Main result: constant diarrhea. I've tried eating NOTHING AT ALL for three days in a row. The burps NEVER go away.

Thanks for the Szechuan pepper tips.

Sauerkraut: If it is fermented long enough, would the microbes eat virtually all the carbs in it? This is something I have pondered for several months.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 10:35

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

Quote:

Not all grassfed is lean and tough. It depends on so many factors like grasses available, age at slaughter, conditions at slaughter, dry age time, breed of cattle, etc.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 11:06

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by svince6
I usually have a bunless burger at a restaurant, but will order a steak if it is a good price.

Same here...I get a bunless burger with bacon, for some reason I am tired of steak..YUM....
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 11:13

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungusgirl
I wasnt eating carbs...and then was yelled at because everyone was saying eat carbs (like when i was on atkins before)...Although before my steroid muscle wasting issue...i was under 90 lbs...cause of only have coffee, water and protein shakes...I would eat only in front of my family...just a little....Now i have gained a lot of weight and am losing again...slowly.....and i would rather be Zero Carb, but I have people telling me....hey...thats why you are NOT losing quickly.....Hmmmm, really?
As for alcohol...my biggest issue are friends asking me to have a drink, with me saying no and then coooome onnnnn..have one.
I also hang out with a lot of military folk *ahem...love to drink*and just feel like a kill joy when i dont. They have gotten to the point where they are even knowing...hey Rum and Vodka have no carbs...etc...
If you are starting your weight loss journey, drinking alcohol, even no carb, will inhibit weight loss because your body will burn alcohol BEFORE fat. Once in a while it wouldnt be bad...
My other issue is I LOVE MUSHROOMS! I study them, hunt them, love to cook them....Has anyone had a morel???? *YUM* That would be something that would be difficult to give up.
Also, i was told that a few vitanutrients, called Centrophenoxine, PIRACETAM, ANIRACETAM help a lot with helping your brain with blood metabolism, aminos, etc and certainly help hormone balance, including your own Human Growth Hormone, hair loss,muscle wasting, etc. My doctors recommended them to me and i am currently waiting for them to come in the mail...I have Military friends that swear by them as well. I will give an update after my first week on them....
Thanks for the ramble and any suggestions will certainly help my discouragement!

Where do you live if I may ask??...I LOVE morels, and love to hunt for them etc....Not going to have them any longer as they are not meat/eggs, but do love the,, ,,And the only way I have ever fixed them were with flour or cracker crumbs which is for sure high carbs...Oh how I will miss them this year, it is almost time for them..They sell here for about $25.00 a pound..
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 11:39

Quote:
I never in my life ate heart, tongue, tails, ears or feet of any animal. Thinking about it doesn't make me salivate. But then again, I have been vegetarian for so many years. We may talk again in 20 years, haha.

Funny you should put it that way. I actually salivated when I read that.

Quote:
What's CAFO chops?

Confinement Agriculture Feedlot Operation - "conventional" pork chops.

Quote:
I keep my fingers crossed that time given your burp issue will solve itself and your body will heal. Good luck with that. Cannot think of anything to help or suggest. What does your doc say?

Thanks. I went to a GI doc who thought it might be H. Pylori. She asked me to take a stool sample to the lab, and I've been procrastinating about that. Plus, I heard that the stool test isn't very accurate.