Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-14, 20:19

Plan: fish and egg fast and atk
Stats: 136/136/95 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Salt gives you energy!!!!

I haven't been on this board for a while, got busy, life, work, got off low carb, etc. But now I'm getting super strict because I want to know of this last few % of body fat. I do somewhere in between dukans and aktins because I find the less fat and carbs I eat the faster my body changes, leans out. With that being said, everytime I've done dukans I've seen weight drop more and faster than Atkins but then I'd hit a wall. I'm fatigued, stiff, bitchy, depressed, empty, overly serious, nyhilistic, if I even think about crying I'll start crying, my eyes get red easily, no sense of humor, etc. But I'm at my skinniest...

The big difference between Atkins and Dukan for me was that on Dukans I don't eat cheese. I thought it was the opiate-like affect of dairy that kept me happy on a low carb diet. No, it turned out it was the salt in all the cheese I had been eating. For the past week I've added salt back into my diet and I've got normal energy (I had stopped salting my food some time ago). I went from super stressed at work to work is okay again. No brain fog anymore. Studies show that low carbers need more sodium than people on a standard american diet because carbs HOLD sodium IN the kidneys. When your carbs are low, you expel sodium regularly, and need regular intake of salt, for some up to 5grams a day. I am so happy I realized this by simply salting my food as there are few people on the web making the connection and many diet books even for low carb say to keep salt to a minimum if not completely avoid it. I also take a multivitamin without iron (iron gives me stomach aches). So by doing this I've achieved optimum electrolyte balance. If I forget to salt my food during breakfast lunch and dinner, I start to get that lazy, empty feeling again. Now I see how low carb civilizations got by by salting their food such; they couldn't live without it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 03:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/147/125 Female 5 ft 1inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

I also have found out thru a great doc, that my adrenals are fatigued...and the adrenals need salt (among other things) to help them function properly. Prior to going LC the first time I was on meds for high BP, so I tried to avoid the salt. Now I am off meds, my adrenals are getting stronger, and I can enjoy my salt. They say people should listen when their body craves something....I always wanted salt, was always being cautioned against salt due to BP, and now I can have it after finding out about some underlying issues my body was having
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 10:09

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Yes Filmgirl! I can testify that I do better with salt also.

A related story: my grandmother is in her 80s, and has been on some kind of diet to help with her diabetes and blood pressure the year before last. She never discussed the details of it previously, but last year she began to complain of not feeling right, couldn't put her finger on it exactly, but she just felt bad all the time. After some time, she got her bloodwork done and the doctor said her potassium was too high. Guess what the culprit for that was... not enough salt in her diet. She was ordered to start adding salt back in and it made a major improvement I am happy to say.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 11:56

Plan: fish and egg fast and atk
Stats: 136/136/95 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Kimmer39 and girlbug2 I'm happy that you two found this out. I remember being in class and realizing how stiff I was in comparison to my other young 20's peers. I thought I can't live like this so I got off low carb. Carbs made me feel more "flexible" but then came the carb spiral. THough I didn't eat grains. I ate sweet potatoes and balance bars (which are addicting...) and I wasn't full. So went back on dukan and the symptoms came back. When I started salting my food, I felt so much better the next day and then put 1 and 2 together. People really need to let inductioners know. Fast water weight loss is no where near worth it if your quality of life suffers. But from a sales perspective, it really makes buyers feel like the diet is worth it. So now, whenever I crave something carby, I eat something salty instead. Or a combination of sweet and salty if I MUST have something sweet. Most of my cravings stem from fatigue. If I'm well fed with fat and protein and have enough salt, I just go about my day and don't think of food. Also, I use iodized salt which gives a nice boost to your thyroid and can help estrogen dominant women make more progesterone. Progesterone has a very pleasant, calming effect. I know, I used a progesterone cream for a few days months ago as an experiment. Night and day difference in stress within a few minutes. I wouldn't encourage it because you should focus on helping your body making everything you need instead of letting it get invaded by drugs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 06:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Only something like 10% of the population have salt related high BP. Most people it only has a weak effect on salt. And, people on low salt diets die of more stuff than those who aren't.

So yeah, eat your salt! It helps you retain all those other minerals that you need.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 19:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 128/122/118 Female 5'.5"
BF:
Progress: 60%

how much is 5 grams of salt in teaspoons?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 22:47

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

a tsp of most things weighs just about 5 grams.