Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 03:49

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica
Israeli - yes, you can't just add more fat. Look back at the earlier posts.

It's about ratios, or percentages. I eat about 70% fat. But keep my calories to what works for me. Adjust your fats slowly and reduce everything else, to find your optimal percentage and amount of food.

the gould, no such thing as high fat and low calorie!

Forget about what you should be eating regarding protein. Just experiment and discover yourself what works for your body. I eat below recommended amounts of protein, and higher fat.

As I said previously - eat just enough protein to keep hunger away. Then eat lots of fat, and minimal carbs. Adjust as needed to keep calories not too high.

Also, worrying about 1lb up or down every day is going to send you crazy. Our bodies are too complex to look at so closely on a daily basis. Weigh less often, or at least don't worry about it so much. And take measurements and body fat counts - they're better especially when you get closer to your goal.

cool -its just hard because everything we eat has protein in it - it feels wierd eating things fuller in fat but i notice the diff already. cheers will keep posted and hope this will end the slow loss period
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 13:06

BF:
Progress:
Question

mica can i just ask how much fat would you define as lots. i am eating what i think is increased but its not alot. i am very warely adding. what would u suggest as alot?
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 02:18

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

I think a high fat diet would be anything from 55% fat and upwards.
You can only go really high fat (65% and up) if you're able to eat really low carb. I eat 80% fat on my super LC days, and about 70% on average.

The main idea of what I'm doing is that you don't overdo the protein - just enough to stave off hunger. And that in the overall percentages, fat comes out highest.

I use Fatsecret online to count my percentages, but I'm also used to it now.

Coconut oil
olive oil
butter
eggs (egg yolks alone even better)
mayonnaise
nuts
cream cheese (if it doesn't stall you)
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 13:55

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I think a high fat diet would be anything from 55% fat and upwards.
You can only go really high fat (65% and up) if you're able to eat really low carb. I eat 80% fat on my super LC days, and about 70% on average.

The main idea of what I'm doing is that you don't overdo the protein - just enough to stave off hunger. And that in the overall percentages, fat comes out highest.

I use Fatsecret online to count my percentages, but I'm also used to it now.

Coconut oil
olive oil
butter
eggs (egg yolks alone even better)
mayonnaise
nuts
cream cheese (if it doesn't stall you)

love the coconut oil . yummy
see i always eat under 10 Grams of carbs a day always have . would this be classed as supper low? this has really worked for me as i slowed right down ( i assume because i was watching my fat and keeping fat as low as possible ) but even my shape is changing very quick now and thats good because i have lost over 20 stone already . this is the last 10 Lbs run for me then just maintain.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-11, 04:05

Yep, that's very low, so you can cut down protein and go high fat easily.
And last 10lbs is when things slow. Also best time to start measuring and checking body fat%.

I also found that moving around more helped a lot (not exercise, just more moving - housework, walking about). I only do it 2-3 times a week. Seems to wake the ol' metabolism up. And my house is cleaner, lol.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-11, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power-modified
Stats: 95/103/98 Female 59inches
BF:?/?/18%
Progress: 267%

nica...how many grams of fat do you think you eat? How many calories total? how many were you eating before? Do you ever eat more carbs interspersed between the high fat days or just all high fat days?
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-11, 14:30

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Yep, that's very low, so you can cut down protein and go high fat easily.
And last 10lbs is when things slow. Also best time to start measuring and checking body fat%.

I also found that moving around more helped a lot (not exercise, just more moving - housework, walking about). I only do it 2-3 times a week. Seems to wake the ol' metabolism up. And my house is cleaner, lol.

Thanks Nica

In cutting down protein how can you achieve this as it is in almost everything? should i cut out protein shakes? As for the moving i am always on the go. at gym 3 times a week for 1 hour each time all cardio

What is the benifit of cutting out the protein as well as high fat?

I have a weigh in tomorrow in the kitchen so will post update but this is my first Week ( well 4 - 6 Days High Fat)
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-11, 19:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 180/145/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm glad I came across this post. I have been stalled for almost three weeks now. I upped my fat intake today and will see how things go in the next week.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 01:48

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber130
I'm glad I came across this post. I have been stalled for almost three weeks now. I upped my fat intake today and will see how things go in the next week.

Good luck amber

Would deffo suggest buying the coconut oil

Heavy cream is also good. very little carbs and high fat and the same with double cream . just look at the lable as some brands may differ
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 02:39

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gould
Thanks Nica

In cutting down protein how can you achieve this as it is in almost everything? should i cut out protein shakes? As for the moving i am always on the go. at gym 3 times a week for 1 hour each time all cardio

What is the benifit of cutting out the protein as well as high fat?

I have a weigh in tomorrow in the kitchen so will post update but this is my first Week ( well 4 - 6 Days High Fat)

Done my weigh in - 14 St 9 Lbs

another loss . thats 4 lbs in the last week and half

happy with that at this stage. will do another one tomorrow just because i weigh the day after work and its never usually the full loss so i always weigh the two days
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 06:24

Hi Amber - best of luck!

Gould - I would suggest going back and reading the first posts of this thread, otherwise I'll just sound like a broken record lol

As for cutting back on protein, all this means is making fat your highest percentage. The problem for some of us is that going LC meant eating a lot of protein, and protein turns into glucose in the body.
So we certainly don't cut out protein we just eat more fat.

As far as grams, it really doesn't matter, every BODY is different, what matters is the overall percentages.

I eat high fat most days and usually have 1-2 days relaxed (either a little more or a lot of carbs, like birthday parties etc). One thing I insist upon for myself is a way of eating, rather than a diet, so I believe in being relaxed, just mindful of what I eat, not militant.
At the moment, I've had 2 weeks relaxed! So have simply maintained on still high fat, but slightly higher carbs (in way of fruit and veg rather than bread!)
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gould
Done my weigh in - 14 St 9 Lbs

another loss . thats 4 lbs in the last week and half

Great! Don't want to lose more than that, or it will be muscle.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 07:45

Plan: Keto
Stats: 180/145/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

HOLY MOLY!! This really works. I weighed myself this morning and I lost two pounds! YAY! I was too afraid of eating too much fat. I made a chicken salad with mayo, cooked up some ground beef with a higher ratio of fat, and made my own salad dressing with olive oil to increase my fat intake and it worked! I've been using very little ranch dressing and eating lean meats. This morning I'm drinking my coffee with heavy cream. On fitday I found my ratios to be 65%F, 26%P, 7%C. That's working for me and I'm sticking to it. I'll keep you posted on how things continue.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 07:47

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Hi Amber - best of luck!

Gould - I would suggest going back and reading the first posts of this thread, otherwise I'll just sound like a broken record lol

As for cutting back on protein, all this means is making fat your highest percentage. The problem for some of us is that going LC meant eating a lot of protein, and protein turns into glucose in the body.
So we certainly don't cut out protein we just eat more fat.

As far as grams, it really doesn't matter, every BODY is different, what matters is the overall percentages.

I eat high fat most days and usually have 1-2 days relaxed (either a little more or a lot of carbs, like birthday parties etc). One thing I insist upon for myself is a way of eating, rather than a diet, so I believe in being relaxed, just mindful of what I eat, not militant.
At the moment, I've had 2 weeks relaxed! So have simply maintained on still high fat, but slightly higher carbs (in way of fruit and veg rather than bread!)

yeah i know what you mean. its a life style change rather than a diet. i tell people that

Cool - i will just make sure i am eating more fats. thought so far i had increased enough but i think a little more is needed. Do you ever test for or aim of Ketosis??
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 08:57

Plan: Mixture .. mainly Paleo
Stats: 168/163/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

FATS I am new and reading how much weight you have lost has amazed me. Never sure about high fat and just how high one should go. It seems that high fat is suiting you guys. I did read somewhere that having more fat rather than too much protein is easier on the kidneys and also better for insulin levels. I personally don't know so cannot say. I think the proof is in the eating. I am a bit scared about eating too much fat. Guess it is all the low fat diet idea that is rammed down our throats. I am not into low fat myself. I know it doesn't work for me because my carbs naturally increase. Great reading your posts and very enlightening.

Thanks