Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-11, 20:35

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%
Default Your Best Treatments For Flares

I'd kind of like to see what others are doing to see if I can tweek my treatment a bit.

Anybody got any silver bullets?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 17:32

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I came here and wanted to see if you heard a silver Bullet answer, I need one, I have had a tough to many months with a flare up of this Fibro..

Well lets see if anyone posts Debbie
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 13:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 172/164/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

My silver bullet has been Cymbalta. Within a week, much of my pain was gone-that all-over-beaten with a baseball bat feeling? gone! Just fatigue to deal with now, and my autoimmune issues. I've been taking it for about 9 months, and have less pain than I've had in years. Less affected by cold or rainy weather too. Many people don't stay on it because of nausea at the beginning, but if you just stick with it a few weeks, it goes away. The trick is to start with a lower dose-30 mg, and then add another 30 mg every week or two until you are where the doc wants you. Much more tolerable and less nausea that way. I use Relafen for AI joint issues-works very well, but is hard on my stomach, like most Nsaids. Good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 11:21

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I was put one cymbalta too, but had serious reactions so my Dr has put it on my allergy list.
So this week he put me on Tramadol, and bingo it is helping lots.

I hope you doing good with your meds too. I think we all are different..
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 12:55
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

I'm taking about 4500mg of MSM. I still have pain but it's more of a dull roar.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 15:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My best treatment is to adhere to strict avoidance of dairy and legumes (grains too, just in case that isn't obvious). That's the only time it flares.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 19:13

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

No dietary changes helps me. What finally worked for me was mega dosing my omega 3s-the inflammation in my body was greatly improved and my arthritis is better too.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 335/237.8/170 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 59%

It has been a very difficult winter and spring for me, the weather has been damp and cold. I am taking MSM after reading about it here, as well as iron for anemia and flax oil for the omega 3's. I have some alleviation, but no, sorry, no magic bullet. I do try to make sure I get proper sleep. All I do is cope and manage, but it is ever present.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 20:09

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by canewme
It has been a very difficult winter and spring for me, the weather has been damp and cold. I am taking MSM after reading about it here, as well as iron for anemia and flax oil for the omega 3's. I have some alleviation, but no, sorry, no magic bullet. I do try to make sure I get proper sleep. All I do is cope and manage, but it is ever present.

Flax oil may not be the optimum omega 3 for many. Only 30% of the population can convert the ALA in flax oil into the necessary DHA and EPA or so research as shown. If you are still not doing well with flax oil maybe switch to another omega 3 source. Cod liver oil is my personal choice.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 06:13
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I'm trying high dose b12 at the moment, it has had some effect on fatigue, have just increased the dose.

Lee
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 07:17
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 335/237.8/170 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
Flax oil may not be the optimum omega 3 for many. Only 30% of the population can convert the ALA in flax oil into the necessary DHA and EPA or so research as shown. If you are still not doing well with flax oil maybe switch to another omega 3 source. Cod liver oil is my personal choice.

Thanks! I did not know that. Will give that a go soon.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 20:10

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

Magnesium Complex by Nature's Way has GREATLY diminished the pain with my muscles/knots from the FMS. I'm still dealing w/chronic fatigue, but have gotten better now that I'm staying on my LC plan. B12 sublingual (liquid) helps me get through the day. Also found out about Adrenal Fatigue/Exhaustion and am taking supplements to support my adrenals, cut out caffeine, trying to get more rest and drink LOTS of water has REALLY helped too! Also getting GOOD sleep w/natural sleep aids has helped. The BEST one I've found for sleep (w/dreams) is Alteril. It helps me stay asleep LONGER, and I feel more rested in the a.m.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 21:38

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 250/199/110 Female 5'1"
BF:don't know
Progress: 36%

My mom and her friend have had AMAZING results w/ PYCNOGENOL.

Her friend would sometimes literally crawl up the steps to her bedroom from the pain. When she's on this she can always function, even if she's still sometimes uncomfortable.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 11:55

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

No magic bullets here but I have been using mag/pot/e/coq10/Cod liver oil/turmeric all at the same. This seems to get it to be at least bearable.
I have used GABA in the past for nerve pain and haven't tried it lately but it always seemed to help. Gotta order some more.

I definatily have flares related to food allergies . If I eat the wrong thing or wait to long to eat I get pain. Lately it is just up and down like a roller coaster. One minute I feel great . THe next in the toilet. URghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I tried the Methylation Protocol and it was too strong after one day so I backed off. Gotta go much slower. I'm just too toxic.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-11, 05:47

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default The Vitamin D Cure

Just started Reading and following the vitamin D cure by James E Dowd M.D.

I have been loading with a dose of 10000iu of vitamin D for 4 days now and I feel amazing. I was tested last summer and even in August my level was only 32. The doctor didn't recommend supplementing but I have been in so much pain lately that I was so happy when I found this book and started following it. Pain is way down. Energy is way up. Give it a try.

I am walking much more easily, ankle pain is mostly gone. Numbness on soles of feet is going away. I can walk faster with better balance now. Go up stairs easier . Much less stiff and much better energy.

D