Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-18, 20:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

THis is the same BS I faced when meeting with a dietition at a local hospital.

It's the training. sigh.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 09:56

Plan: keto
Stats: 199/182/164 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress:

In researching my fatty liver condition, I discovered that this disease is near epidemic and will be so as the society ages on it's current diet. Although I consumed virtually NO sugar, cakes, cookies, sodas, I did eat a lot of fruit. The main culprit however was the breads, pastas, rice, potatoes and other carbs I was inflicting on my liver as glucose. 5 months in on a LC diet, my liver numbers were greatly improved, my fatty liver is healing.

Based on the research I've seen. Sugar is not good for the environment (it is a very energy/water intensive, polluting process process) nor for the body. It should be taxed in part to reduce consumption and to fund health care for its results.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 19:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
The sugar-free diet is restrictive...

No it ain't. I eat quite well & have no problem not eating sugar or things that turn into sugar. As a t2 diabetic, there's no way I'd let a nincompoop like this author tell me what to eat - I'm doing very well with low carb.

However, I do have one use for sugar - it makes a great facial scrub when mixed with olive or coconut oil.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 22:46

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

And ... I keep it on hand to fill the hummingbird feeders. They shouldn't have artificial sugars (yech!), but also not the "healthy" versions like honey or maple syrup (much as I love the hummers I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for feeding them honey or maple anyway). It feels odd to buy sugar to feed them, but Oregon has such a long gray season, and the silly things don't all fly south, so I do what seems right (even if it seems wrong)
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 06:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
And ... I keep it on hand to fill the hummingbird feeders.

They have evolved to drink sugar syrup. We have not.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 11:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
They have evolved to drink sugar syrup. We have not.

Exactly
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 11:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Forgot about the hummers - I feed them too. Tho we don't get too many. The few we have sure are pushy little guys. If I don't get the nectar out early enough, they hover in front of the window & stare at us.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 16:15
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

My PCP, looking at my health metrics told me "I see you must be sticking to an healthy low-fat low-salt diet" I nodded and said I eat lots of salt, I love it, need it.

When I see the cattle licking their salt blocks I am attempted to join in!"
She said "well, avoid stressing yourself and heavy exercise -- you have been diagnosed with HCM -- ill make a refer now for you to cardiology." LOL! I was born with a heart murmur.

Well. way too late! Wait until I tell her at my yearly VA clinic appointment this Fall. "Well, I completed a 7 day with no ill effects. In fact I feel like a new man. FBS 80 BP got as low as 106/70, off all medication, lost 1.5 stone." My CRP will likely be in the basement by then.

I always wondered why animals when injured stop eating -- now I know. We can intrinsically build up or repair health and tissues -- but not both at the same time.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Mar-17-18 at 16:42.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 16:46
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Forgot about the hummers - I feed them too. Tho we don't get too many. The few we have sure are pushy little guys. If I don't get the nectar out early enough, they hover in front of the window & stare at us.
Don't mention it. Haven't had one buzz me ears yet, but I expect it any day. Once it starts I am busy feeding once-a-day till late October.
Should be less of em coming for supplementation this year since we got lots of rare Winter rains in TX. Lots of wildflowers already blooming. Not sure if they like Blue Bonnets though?

During a drought thy consume at least a stone of sugar! They also gobble mosquitoes and daddy long leg spiders 2x their weight a day.

I always explain at the check-out (sometime loudly) I need all this sugar for the birds LOL!

Never feed them honey! White sugar only. About 4/1 sugar to water by volume.

I sometimes set a game Camera near the feeder, they are so hot their movement triggers it, sometimes I catch six feeding at once! Great pictures with a Reconyx, even with an state of the art $600 digital camera their wings are still a blur.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Mar-17-18 at 17:06.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 21:04

BF:

Quote:
Never feed them honey! White sugar only. About 4/1 sugar to water by volume

Mike, don't you mean 4/1 water to sugar?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 21:44

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

I use 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Recently bees are becoming a nuisance. My feeder has a "bee guard" . But there's 5 to 10 of them drinking from my feeder. The hummers come close but dart away. Any suggestions?
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 13:28

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

Doesn’t it make you wonder what the motive is for mainstream nutritionists to spout off this kind of stuff? Are they worried that if some of us improve our health by avoiding chocolate cake that their right to eat chocolate cake will be threatened?

My in-laws are kind of like this; they are offended if I avoid bread or dessert. I don’t get it.

While it is tempting to look for a profit motive, too many folks in regular life (with no profit motive) have similar concerns. Very odd.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 17:37

Plan: Target 100
Stats: 207/170/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 51%

This is the same drivel that has kept my weight bouncing for most of my life.

I am done with all the nonsense.

I am eating lower carb, maybe not as low carb as a lot of folks, but low carb compared to what most of America is eating (I'm following principles from the book Target 100). And guess what? The neuropathy I had in my toes for YEARS went away after two weeks cutting carbs!

I'm never going back. So done with conventional nutritionists and dieticians.

Thanks for letting me rant!