Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 09:19
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Any of us who has had success with low carb eating knows that when people observe a dramatic weight loss, or we share our improved health markers, or walk around without a cane, people want to know how we did it.

But most of the time, they can't do it. Because they have been told what we did was not possible. So even though we are standing in front of them, having done it, they are held back.
They can't (won't) do it b/c they still want to have their carbs and still want to believe "MODERATION" in all things...

I've spoken to a lot of people about my journey, most will say, "Oh, but I can't live w/o _____________!" That usually ends the entire conversation...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 09:58

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
I eat everything I want, in moderation. My meals — mostly homemade — are heavily loaded with vegetables, and I choose calorie-controlled snacks like popcorn at 35 calories a cup, a graham cracker at 59 calories for two squares, and ice cream (really ice milk) at 100 to 150 calories a half cup. No seconds!

My weight maintenance secrets are simple: I read nutrition labels before I buy anything in a package, I practice portion control, and I exercise and weigh myself every day to stay within a two-pound range appropriate for my height. If the number on the scale begins to creep up, I may walk, bike or swim a little more and eat a little less for a few days.

Oh if only I'd known these simple rules for weight control 35 years ago! If only I'd practiced moderation in all things, no seconds, and if the scale started to creep up a couple pounds, exercise a little more and eat a little less for a few days.

Spoken like someone who clearly has no metabolic issues whatsoever, if she was able to lose any excess in a few days, simply by eating a little less, and exercising a little more. Even the 2-lb range she allowed herself is really no more than a typical daily fluctuation.

If she's blaming needing knee replacements and any other woes on eating junk food for a couple of years while she was in college, and she's in her 70's now, then obviously her diet is not a healing diet.

I'm not saying I'll never need joint replacements simply because I've been on LC for well over a decade (after eating a rather junky "all things in moderation" diet for at least 30 years, and being massively overweight for a good bit of that time, since I was under the impression that aside from age, excess weight and the genetic tendency towards arthritis are the primary contributing factors to joint degeneration), but if keeping her weight under control, and eating such a perfect diet all those years did nothing to alleviate those problems, simply because of a couple years of eating junk while she was in college 50 years ago, then there's absolutely no hope at all for those who have been eating junk their entire lives. Same with needing statins.

Might as well groom all the high school kids to go to med school and become orthopedic surgeons and cardiologists, because we're going to need millions of them to keep up with the demand for their services in the next 50 years, especially since they'll be needed to treat each other too.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 13:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I'm not saying I'll never need joint replacements simply because I've been on LC for well over a decade...

Whatever you do, DON'T FALL! I was doing just fine until I fell & whacked my knees. Fortunately, only 1 knee was permanently damaged, but no amount of clean eating is going to fix it. So it's a darn good thing I'm not as fat as I was - & it's a real incentive to lose more weight. The low carb way, of course!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 15:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
They can't (won't) do it b/c they still want to have their carbs and still want to believe "MODERATION" in all things...

I've spoken to a lot of people about my journey, most will say, "Oh, but I can't live w/o _____________!" That usually ends the entire conversation...

OMG. I cant count the number of times this has happened. I do plunge onto say, the food you cant live without is telling you YOU need to kick it to the curb. They look perplexed. lol In the void,, I plunge on. That food is an addiction and it controls you. Just stop eating it.

But " I cant live without it"

lol

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Mar-11-18 at 19:35.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 15:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

Might as well groom all the high school kids to go to med school and become orthopedic surgeons and cardiologists, because we're going to need millions of them to keep up with the demand for their services in the next 50 years, especially since they'll be needed to treat each other too.

I did ask my youngest about becoming a doctor instead of a lawyer , just for this reason. lol
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 18:12
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo

I have to admit to that kind of thinking in the past, because I wanted it to work. I wanted to lose weight and be `cured'--i.e., eat anything I wanted. And as soon as I started eating portions of `hit foods', the self-control spiraled out of control.

Recently had a conversation like the above, and this person's fill-in-the-blank was [really] chicken nuggets. As in, "I can't give up chicken nuggets." I tried to think of one chicken nugget out there in the world that would be worth being fat and crippled for, and couldn't. Or even all of them! If I were queen of chicken nuggets, had a monopoly, was sitting on a mountain of them with scepter and crown and ermine cape . . . nope.

The simple answer is that if you're not ready to do what it takes, you're not ready to lose weight and get fit.

I don't lust after the hit foods anymore; I do a full-lip-curl sneer and tell myself I don't put that crap in my body. Yep--I'm too good for it.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 18:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen24
I tried to think of one chicken nugget out there in the world that would be worth being fat and crippled for, and couldn't.

I've done the same with the foods I thought I couldn't live without. To me, Christmas was candy canes. I could eat boxes of them from late November to early January. I haven't had one in years now. I am able to celebrate Christmas without a single candy cane. Wonderful feeling of both power & freedom.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 08:22

Plan: Target 100
Stats: 207/170/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I remember her from the 70's, and I even had a cookbook by her back then. I am 65, and years of calorie counting, "portion control", etc. never got me anywhere. Now that I've found a low carb plan that really works for me, I'm never going back.