Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 13:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Anyone in the Lone Star State?

I figure, it's a BIG state so there must be more LCers than just me. I know grrlpower is somewhere in TX, but don't know where. I'm in Austin - anybody close by (San Antonio, Houston, Dallas)?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 07:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/140/125
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Hi! I'm in austin too. Just starting week three of atkins diet. so far 8 lbs. gone. I'm pretty happy about that. I'm going for 20-25.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:39

Stats: 300/240/175
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm in Houston. Done Low carb in the past with good results, but never stayed with it more than a few months. Then have gained the weight back. Now for health reasons, must get it off and keep it off It's the only eating pattern that has worked, and I have really felt good while I do it.

Just those feelings of frustration (those emotional biggies) have been my hurdles in the past. Dealing with those this time around in a big way.

Done 27 pounds and counting. Depressed right now, but managing not to binge on those carbs. Been looking for low carb sweets - and finding some that I can fix that taste pretty good - that's helped a lot.

Thank's for listening.

Let me know if I can listen to you. It has always helped me to just sound things out.

(by the way - I have about 125 total to lose)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 12:56

BF:
Default All right!

franb - Glad to hear you're so close and rocking along on Induction! I had about the same loss after two weeks, but I think I lose a little slower because I have more to take off than you.

Catz2mom - Sorry to hear that you're depressed, but glad you're dealing with it. The longer you avoid those carbs the less pull they have on you. I was just saying today that some of my former favorite sweets don't even taste very good anymore. I've seen some threads in the forum about replacing carb sweets with LC sweets - one addiction replacing another. Be careful not to fall into this trap. I still find that when I feel blue, I want to eat cheesecake. Even if it's crustless Atkins cheesecake, it's probably better to go for a walk or something instead of soothing my mood with food. Old habits are hard to break.

I've been LCing since October 9, 2001. I've lost 13.5 lbs., the scale can be deceiving. I've been doing the Body for Life program since December. It involves very strenuous weight lifting workouts, so I've been gaining muscle as I'm losing fat and the scale hasn't moved much until the last week or so. Based on the body fat and lean body mass calculations in the Protein Power book, I've lost 25 lbs of fat and gained 11.5 pounds of lean body mass for a net loss of 13.5 pounds. I can't tell you how exciting that is!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 08:02

Stats: 148/140/125
BF:
Progress:

"Help, I can't move my arms!"

That scene from A Christmas Story popped into my head this morning as I was fixing my hair. I started lifting weights on Tuesday and my arms/shoulders are SO sore. I'm going to try to go to the gym 3 times a week. I also walk or run 2 miles a few times a week.

Catz2mom, I know how you feel about craving. I have never really loved sweets, but I was the popcorn queen. Yesterday someone in my office made a bag of microwave popcorn and I was totally drooling. The good thing about this diet though is I never feel really hungry, so that makes it a little easier.

DivaDani-I checked out your websites-you've been to all my favorite places. My husband & I love Colorado. We try to get up to Ft. Collins/Boulder every year for vacation.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 23:08
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb floundering; deciding which plan
Stats: 241/229.5/133
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Greetings from Greater Dobbin...

Hi, ladies. I live between Conroe and Navasota (near Houston, I suppose). I would love to correspond with other Texas gals who are fighting this fight, living this life!

DivaDani--good to hear your take on replacing illegal carbs with the legal ones for the wrong reasons. It's an old tape, isn't it? I have to really dig and pay attention when I start to eat something to know why I'm doing it.

I hope you're all doing well as you read this...white light and blessings on you!

Hes
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 16:35

Plan: Atkins; Protein Power
Stats: 180/169/135
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Texas Folks Still Active?

Hi!

I see that this thread is over a month old. I've loved this forum since starting LC (about 2 weeks ago), and I thought I'd see if there were any locals here.

I live in Bertram, which is about 40 miles northwest of Austin. My husband commutes to Round Rock for work, so we're not that far out.

I'm doing Atkins, but I'm seriously thinking of trying the Protein Power plan. I've lost about 4 pounds for sure, and an additional 2 pounds keep coming and going....I guess that's not too bad for 2 weeks. Have y'all been successful, or at least pleased with your progress?

-Jamie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 11:42

BF:

Hi, Jamie -

It's always nice to see there are people near by. 14 lbs is great for two weeks! Your loss will probably (hopefully!) slow to about 2 lbs a week now - we don't want you to disappear or have baggy skin

I started out doing Atkins, but after two months decided I wanted to start lifting weights. That's when the scale pretty much went out the window. I did 14 weeks of the Body for Life program with Protein Power nutrition and now I am trying the CKD. (I think you can read about all these in the "Quick Links" section to the right under "Which LC plan is right for me?" - definitely Atkins and Protein Power though.) I figured since I was already working out 6 days a week with BFL, I could turn it up a notch and not really notice so much. Now I'm lifting weights 3 days a week and doing early morning cardio 5 days - well, at least I start doing that tomorrow. (I know I sound like a muscle head, but it's really not that bad. Especially since I have the time to do it right now.)

So, short answer: yes, pleased with my progress. The pounds aren't coming off, but the inches are, which is better. Nothing like having more muscle to help burn calories and fat!

Good luck -
Dani
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 13:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 145/136/130
BF:
Progress: 60%

I live in West Texas, just started on low carb diet a week or so ago and have already lost 7 lbs. I eat chicken, fish, shrimps, meat, low fat cottage chese and sour cream, canned mashrooms, eggs, vegetables, and keep losing weight. Majority of my collegues at work are crazy about Atkins diet. Big fat guys eat nothing but smoked turkey and bacons every day and keep losing a 1/2 lbs a day. I didn't get a chance yet to read about differences between all these diets (low-carbs, Atkins, Montignac, and so on), for now just low carbs is working for me just fine.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 17:44
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Ya'll!

I'm in Houston....glad to see some home folks here!

Diva, I'm impressed with your results....congratulations to you! So why did you switch to CKD? I just completed week 2 of BFL, and I know I'm being silly, but am disappointed I haven't seen any results.... Measurements still the same, scale still the same, clothes still the same...and I feel like I"m workin' my butt off! If I don't see something by week 4, I may switch to CKD. I hate running out of energy during my cardio! You like CKD better?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 14:33

BF:

Hi, Teri -

Before you switch, remember that everybody is different. I did BFL for 14 weeks, but it was frustrating for me. I didn't see any changes in measurements until week 4 and I never started dropping pounds like Nat or bsayne. I gained about 4 pounds over the first 6 weeks and then lost it again over the last 6. I did gain almost 9 pounds of muscle, though, which I think is more than most women do in their first challenge. My body seems to be very good at building muscle, it just can't seem to lose fat at the same time.

So, I switched to CKD because it has an emphasis on fat loss. I still lift as hard as I want to, but I do extra cardio and that seems to be doing the trick. I still eat a zillion little meals to make sure that my body gets constant protein so I won't lose too much muscle. I've lost 5.5 pounds in 5 weeks (which seems like A LOT after 14 weeks of being pretty static on BFL) and I plan to continue for a total of 12 weeks and see where I stand.

Yes, I like the CKD better (and I love the Monday morning cardio after the carb up, but Thurs. is a stinker!), but that doesn't mean that you will. Give BFL a chance to work before you decide it doesn't. It's a 12 week program and if you don't give it at least 8 weeks, you may as well not do it. Good luck with whatever you choose, but try not to be too impatient (says Queen Impatience herself ). Dani
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 15:38
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Dani,

Thanks for your advice...I trust what more experienced people tell me rather than rely on my own judgement. I'll give it 12 weeks. I'm going to find a BFL buddy from their website that's my age, weight, challenge level, etc. and see if that will help keep my head on straight. Its just frustrating when I see people (usually younger) that exclaim, "Wow!! 5 inches lost in my first week!! Weeeeeeee!" I can't relate and feel like I"m doing something wrong, when I know I'm not really.

I'll hang in there.

Thanks again so much for your help.

It's a hot one today, ain't it?? Kids have been swimmin' alllllll day!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 20:50

Plan: atkins/low carb
Stats: 200/200/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Lone star state!

Hello im from the lone star state and looking for other low carb people so please reply im in the Dallas area.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 17:42

Plan: Atkins-Gastric Bypass
Stats: 285/178/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 79%

San Antonio here. I notice that the last entry was pretty long ago so I don't know who is around. Thought I would check. Got off to a rocky start....too many carbs, too low calories, way too low water and a broken scale to boot. I am doing great right now.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 13:14

Plan: Atkins/My own
Stats: 140/140/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just found this thread (new to this forum). Shortygurl, I'm in your area. Live in Mesquite and work in downtown Dallas. Also, Dani, what is CKD?