Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 16:05

Plan: new direction
Stats: 345/329/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default Very Low Calorie Liquid Diet - New Direction

Is anyone out there on the New Direction program?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 16:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

That particular plan MUST BE MEDICALLY SUPERVISED very closely as it can be dangerous. It is Very Low Calorie and while it claims to be ketogenic, it just uses a liquid, not real food. So that part of living a normal life would have to be learned afterward. By the way, fasting (=eating nothing at all) is also ketogenic.

I wonder if it isn't close to that Optifast type of diet? Oprah lost on that but it all came back. And people have developed life threatening potassium imbalances while on some liquid protein diets.

New Direction would not be supported here as it is definitely a "commercial pay $$$ proprietary" plan not a published "anyone can read and do it" plan.

Last edited by tofi : Tue, Oct-14-03 at 18:05.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:15
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi admdk,

I just want to repeat what Tofi said - we don't support unhealthy diets here.
Sadly, people on such low calorie diets almost always find the weight comes back as soon as they eat "normally" again.
Very low calorie diets also create havoc with your metabolism.

Why not switch to a healthy low carb plan? If you don't like Protein Power, have a look at "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen for some ideas. Much cheaper, too.

Have a look at our Success Stories as well, for some reassurance that low carbing really does work.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 17:09

Plan: new direction
Stats: 345/329/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Angry

Ya know, I was a little discouraged by the posts and was going to just blow it off and not come back but I can't do that without voicing my side. I did not post this thread to promote or advertise a diet, especially one deemed "unhealthy". The only reason I posted it was to see if there was anyone out there on this diet who may be experiencing the same things I am. So that we could experience them together and not alone. No matter what kind of "diet" you are on it makes it easier if you have support. If this weren't true, this forum wouldn't have been started. I seem to remember that when the Atkins Diet started being widely publicized there was and still remains a lot of animosity between those following his plan and those not. I would never make the comments that were made here to another person! I congratulate each and every person who takes a stand against obesity and fights back. Not all diets work for everyone. I did try the Atkins diet a few years ago and just recently found and read the Protein Power Diet but they are not what I am commited to. I fully intend to stick to this diet and not slip back into old habits. I am looking forward to a future now that is bright. It's sad that I came here with the hopes of finding a loving and supporting addition to my life and instead got my hand slapped.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 17:19
Forum Moderator

BF:

I'm sorry you feel that way admdk.

Nevertheless, our forum rules (to which you clicked "I agree" when you joined) specifically prohibit discussion of unpublished, proprietary plans.

You will be able to find the support you seek at www.3fatchicks.com or www.diettalk.com

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 19:36

Plan: Was doing Atkins
Stats: 210/182/146 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Cool New Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by admdk
Is anyone out there on the New Direction program?

I know a bit about this diet as my parents are on it. I know of a group you may join for support. It's the longest running successful medically supervised diet in the US. You are doing great. For more info, just post back and I'll refer you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 21:35

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

I don't think that anyone meant to offend you. They were trying to be informative. This forum offers a lot of support to people, but generally when someone thinks a certain way of dieting is unhealthy they speak up. That is great that you are trying to fight obesity, but just like being obese is unhealthy so are many of the diets done to lose the weight. Either way you are endangering yourself, you might as well do it the healthy way, be able to work on your eating patterns and be gaurenteed to lose the weight and keep it off. I do wish you the best with your weightloss journey.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 21:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Admdk,

Your hand wasn't slapped. You were simply told why that plan would not be supported by this web site. Rosebud has even told you where to go to get support for that plan.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 00:55
Forum Moderator

BF:

I'm not quite sure why MJS felt the need to revive such an old thread, but I just want to mention that the OP has not visited the board since October, 2003.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 08:09

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I didn't notice the date of the posts.