Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 18:14

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: //125
BF:
Progress:
Default My skin

I am just finishing my third week on Dr. Atkins. I was wondering if anyone had noticed any difference in their skin? My face has become extremely oily which is unusal. I have not changed any brands of cleanser or anything. Just wondering if this was related??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 19:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi, Dye. I've always had oily skin, and I haven't noticed any difference since starting low-carb. There are benefits to oily skin - you don't wrinkle! So it can actually be a Good Thing.

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 09:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%

Actually, my skin has become very oily too. I never had a problem with this before. I used to get like one small pimple a year, now I break out all the time on my chin. And not just little ones either, they look like volcanos taking at least two weeks to go away. I have lived by this rule since I was a teenager, and that is to not pick at my face. I think that is why I have such a good complexion. But, now it is hard because I feel like everyone is staring at my "volcanoes"
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 10:39

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: //125
BF:
Progress:

I am sure that they are not "volcanoes" just you feel they are!!
I was wondering if the difference is because I am now eating more fats in my diet and previously have not. What do you think?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 11:13

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

i'm not sure if my skin has gone oilier or not - perhaps a little, it's normal since you're eating more oil/fat - but the most dramatic thing i've noticed, is that, my skin has cleared up and feels soft . (I do get the occasional pimple)... My worst time used to be when i'm *at that time of the month* I used to get horrible breakouts..but I don't anymore.... Speaking of which, has anyone else experienced longer periods from Atkins diet?

My diet prior to LC was little oil, high carb, little fat/protein (at least compared to now lol)..
also my hair seems shinier, bouncier. Overall i'm experiencing good side-effects other than weight loss (except perhaps the bad breath, and constip*****... but the cool thing is that the body adjusts itself. Give it a month, and it will adjust - just drink lots of water).
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 15:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My skin has become much clearer and the occasional boils - thankfully not on my face - have not returned since LC. I'm a bit pimply, now, but I think it could be something else and not from fat.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 21:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/209/145
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default My skin

I've been on Atkins for about a month and my skin, hopefully, is only temporarily worse. I don't know if it has been from the diet or just my time of the month. It's beginning to clear, but not as much as it usually does after my monthly. One good thing was my monthly came later, wasn't at all heavy (as mine usually tends to be) and the cramps were not making me miserable.

Oh, I'm new here by the way, this is my first post. I must say I'm enjoying all the posts and support you have for one another. My office manager introduced me to Atkins and I've lost a good bit so far. I seem to be on a stall, maybe it was the fried chicken... could be the Caffeine Free Diet Dr. Pepper, I don't know. I don't think I could plateau this early.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 21:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question could it be detox?

With all the positive change in diet (leafy greens, no processed foods or sugar, lots of water) could it be a natural reaction of the body in expelling toxins? I was wondering because of several similar indicators i.e. temporary bad skin, bad breath, etc.

As for me, my skin went a bit haywire at the start and now is the best it has been in years; same with my hair.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 14:54

Plan: Atlkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default regarding boils and pimples, a cure!

15 years ago, a former roomate turned me on to his secret weapon for cold sores on the lips. He would swab the sore with peroxide, then apply vitamin e oil directly to lip. If done two or three times a day, it will stop the cold sore form futuer growth immediatly, and then the sore will retreat over period of three or four days, without turning into a nasty scab, and vanish.
Since I started doing this over 15 years ago, I have controlled every cold sore outbreak, with great results. I have also tried the same rememedy to pimples with great success. In addition, it works the same with boils, which I am suseptible to, as well. This has been a great relief to me over the years, because nobody wants to be plagued by these problems. And the best part is that my body has not built up an immunitity to this method. It still works as well today as it did when I first started. Good luck.