Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 17:59

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

It works, if you do it right. It has to -- you eat no more than about 800 calories a day, almost all of that protein. The best thing is to read the book, learn the principles behind it, what to eat (very limited) and what not to eat, how to do a free meal and a refeed (if you even get a refeed), and how long to do it. And how to come off the diet without gaining the weight back.

As far as staying in line with Atkins - if you are someone stays away from starchy/carby food because of cravings or binges - well, you might have to work around that. You do eat lots of carbs on the refeed (but not everyone gets a refeed).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 19:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Its not Atkins, but it is low carb, other than the weekly refeed and possibly free meal. Definitely much more restrictive than Atkins, but for a variety of reasons, isn't really difficult, IMHO.

Although, my body really starts to balk after about 4 days. I know its wanting MORE calories! Fortunately, it gets them!

The diet is called "Rapid Fat Loss" and it's by Lyle McDonald at http://www.bodyrecomposition.com
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 11:16

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

So NancyLC, how much have you lost so far? Im really tempted to try this but am scared that I will mess up my metabolism with going under 1000 calories. Everyone has been telling me that my calories should stay btwn 10-12% of my body weight....1800-1900 calories daily. I actually try to stay btwn 1200 and 1400. By me going way below that, will be body be forced into starvation mode? And IF I did try this, then my "Free Days" would probably be with all LC foods. Is that doable?
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 13:13
Experimenter

BF:

Well, read the blurb on the web site. The whole idea is to preserve as much muscle mass as possible. The refeed resets hormones so you don't go into starvation mode. There is no such thing as permanently messing up your metabolism according to scietists who study these things, unless you lose to much lean body mass.

I've lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks. 1 inch from the chest and 1/2 inch just about everywhere else. Which is good for me, since I've been stalled for 8 months.

The free meals are to preserve your sanity, the refeed is to reset hormones. So no, you shouldn't do LC for your refeed, that'd defeat the purpose. Read the handbook though for all the details.

I'd say if you're losing weight currently, don't bother changing.

www.bodyrecomposition.com
Click "products", then "continue" then "read more" on Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 14:41
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Honestly, the whole refeed/free meal idea scares the beejeezus outa me I've been doing so well staying away from things for over a year I'm afraid if I let myself have them I might go "hog wild and pig crazy", as the saying goes.

Debbie
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 15:29

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhyreworks
Honestly, the whole refeed/free meal idea scares the beejeezus outa me I've been doing so well staying away from things for over a year I'm afraid if I let myself have them I might go "hog wild and pig crazy", as the saying goes.

Debbie

Lots of people are worried about the refeed. It does help if you keep in mind that this diet is geared to last no more than 6 weeks, and it is often used to quickly lose weight before a special event such as a wedding or reunion, or to cut BF right before a body building competion. Both the short-term and event concepts really help me to go right back after a refeed. Lyle talks about how to best deal with going back on the diet after a refeed.

KCookys - I've only been doing this for a week and a half, but I've already lost about 2.5 lbs, and I'm really close to goal, which makes weight loss harder. My motivation to stick with this diet (no matter HOW tired I get of sliced turkey, chicken breast, and tuna) is a Mexican resort in 4 weeks and 4 days.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 17:40
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhyreworks

Yes, I know the feeling. My first refeed was... a little over the top. My advice is to not bring anything refeed wise into your home you will abuse. Same with free meal, he recommends having it away from home. Now I've had english muffins and granola sitting around all week and I haven't been tempted... well, ok, once I was slightly tempted, but I shrugged it off. Cookies were another matter.... those had to be trashed. Another suggestion is make it your last meal of the day, just so it ends after 5 hours... instead of 10 like my first one.

This week, my appetite is so shrunken, I couldn't possibly do what I did before.

I had a sandwich, piece of lemon cake and I feel like I could explode. I might squeeze in some granola or an english muffin before bedtime.

But it really does seem to reset things hormonally. I always get really hot after a refeed and my appetite, which has been creeping up all week, gets smaller again.

Just to clarify the duration of the diet, it depends on the category (i.e. how much body fat you have). It can be a very short duration or it can go longer. I think with Cat 3 he says go until whatever. For my category, I think it was 12 weeks, then I'm supposed to take a 2 week break where I do maintenance. But he is flexible on the subject. Not a bad idea really, gives you an opportunity to practice maintenance.

Also, I want to point out that it isn't all fun and games with Refeeds... they can really be uncomfortable. I'm trying a more moderate one this time because that painful bloat the first time really convinced me to be careful.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Jun-16-05 at 17:48.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 20:46

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

Nancy LC, can you continue to post your progress?! Im really interested in trying this...I have been stalled for a few months now and I am willing to try anything!! Also, do you excersise?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 07:35
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi there, I just discovered this thread.

I have lose 15 pounds in 15 days doing PSMF, which I am doing it by the book.

I was also terrified of the free meal. I don't get refeeds because I am category 3. So far the free meals have not been a problem. When they're over, they're over. No bingeing and I stick to strict PSMF plan 5 days out of the week..

I am now into virgin territory: weights I haven't seen since 1999. I still have a long way to go, but I am planning to stay on PSMF for the whole 12 weeks before taking a fill 2-week break from the diet. I may or may not go back onto PSMF for another 12 weeks after labor day.

So far so good. Very very good.

If you are interested, buy the book and read up on it. It is NOT for the fainehearted, and you will miss your higher fat Atkins meals.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 08:06
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
Nancy LC, can you continue to post your progress?! Im really interested in trying this...I have been stalled for a few months now and I am willing to try anything!! Also, do you excersise?

I will! This week is a bust, its my TOM. But I've lost an inch up top and half an inch everywhere else. My pants are lose. Badgergirl is the real inspiring story.

Maybe I've been dieting (Atkins for 2.5 years) for so long that its easy for me to try new stuff, but I must say, I'm not really feeling deprived. I like the food I eat, I'm eating the same stuff every day pretty much. It doesn't bother me at all. But probably most importantly my mental outlook is such that I don't think about food all that much. Its fuel now. I think that's because of the diet really. I suppose when I was starting the diet I had a lot of reservations about the food. Low fat, bleh. But it has become a non-issue in 3 weeks. My only thought on that is it is the nature of low calorie diets, or modified-fasts, that you lose interest in food.

I am having trouble with the refeeds in that it is a lot of carbs to stuff down in 5 hours. I actually threw up last night. So I'm going to have to modify that. Probably just take all day to have my refeed, instead of in 5 hours.

You'd think I'd be glorying in joy at a refeed... actually I'm not. I sort of look forward to it, the food tastes good, but doesn't taste as good as I seem to think it will and the pain and discomfort of it really makes me feel horrible for a day or so. I really gotta work out this refeed thing.

Another thing is... my stomach seems to have shrunken a huge amount. I think that's my refeed problem. It's like trying to cram 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound bag, so of course it isn't going to work! Duh! Took me along time to figure that out.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jun-17-05 at 08:46.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 13:20
Queen of Bouncing

Okay, I think I'll try. I will download the eBook tonight when I get home from work and print it off. Tomorrow morning is shopping day (early, we go at 6 AM, hehe), plus I stop on the way home to pick up something to cook for dinner. Any recommendations on what to put on my shopping list?

Debbie
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 13:37
Experimenter

BF:

Scroll back a bit, I posted my typical shopping list.

And good luck to you! Keep us posted how you're faring.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jun-17-05 at 13:49.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 13:53
Queen of Bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Scroll back a bit, I posted my typical shopping list.

And good luck to you! Keep us posted how you're faring.

Okay, I see yours (and Kristine's) now. Thanks I sure do hate the thought of "fat free" anything, though, LoL. But I have to do something to shake my body up, it's either this or the fat fast.

Debbie
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 14:25
Experimenter

BF:

If you're like me, you'll adapt pretty quickly. A few changes I made, I put a little olive oil in my FF dressing. I just can't stand it otherwise. I am using FF sour cream, its ok. FF cottage cheese is ok, if you drown it in Da Vinci syrup. Put a few frozen raspberries on top. FF cream cheese rolled up in low fat ham is ok.

And I usually cook up a big skillet of chicken breast with veggies and sauce for dinner. Its pretty tasty. I make lots so I have leftovers.

Oh yes, cut up veggies and dip in the FF sour cream/FF ranch. Not bad at all.

Dessert had been a Crystal Lite slurpee, but I found out there's actually a lot of calories in them, so now it'll probably be either more cottage cheese or else a protein shake (casein protein, FF milk and syrup).

I've been too indifferent to want to make SF jello.

My refeed went bad on me last night. My stomach is SO shrunken I can't possibly eat the amount of carbs in 5 hours I'm supposed to. I ended up upchucking my refeed at midnight and I feel horrible today.

So, plan for next time is to make the refeed last all day and only eat as much as is comfortable to eat.

I seriously had no idea my stomach capacity had gotten so tiny.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jun-17-05 at 15:02.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power ~ Atkins
Stats: 189/180/163 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Nancy, Thanks for the link to this thread.

I read it through, it sounds interesting, I think I could get by with his food, but I would miss my "drink" or two in the evening. Please keep the thread going, I would like to see how you all do and good luck.