Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 14:48

Plan: My own!
Stats: 275/250/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Looking for Walking Partner in San Fernando Valley

I noticed that Goingfor60 lived in Woodland Hills. I live in Reseda and was wondering if maybe you are looking for a walking partner. Anyone else in this area I would love to hear from you too. Have a great day!
Gina
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool San Francisco

Joyce Pari,
I'm new to this (7 days today) and was curious to see what stores in San Francisco were your favorite for LC shopping.
Thanks!
Jennifer
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:50

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default RE: LC shopping...

Most staple items can be had at any good grocery store...I like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's for good produce and specialty items...The health food store (Eastbay) is where I go for the organic produce and supplements. Pavel's is a good yogurt brand...made in Oakland, Russina yogurt with multiple live cultures...use full fat, very good in shakes.

Label reading will tell you whether or not any item will fit your LC LIFE! I also use the online sources here for LC items I can't find in the stores...like Flax-O-Meal and LC tortillas....Atkins has some great products if you aren't put off by the prices...bread, cheesecakes, I've also tried their quiches...small but good, except for the mediterranian cheese...too much rosemary for me...the souffle's are a bit spongie...some sugar free or low sugar sausages can be found at Safeway...mine even stocks Atkins pancake syrup now...

Happy LC shopping!

Bsayne
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 21:39

Stats: 160/160/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default LC shopping - ham?

thanks bsayne!
I'll try some of your suggestions. i'm not even through week 2 of the induction and i'm already climbing the walls.
hey, one more question. dr. atkins says that ham is permitted, but i know that it contains sugar, at the very least from the curing process. is there some that is better(as in sugar-free) that I'm not finding? the butcher that I spoke to was diebetic and she said that all ham has sugar.
just wondering.....

thanks again!
jen
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 14:58

Plan: Atkins- modified
Stats: 298/294/150
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question Low carb stores in the Bay Area?

Hi everyone!! I'm not necessarily new to the low carb lifestyle. I was successfully on this WOL for about two months before family problems and the stress of school took me down for the count. So, I'm kinda re-starting with new purpose!
When I did this a few months ago I was relying on online sites for my carb products. It was a hassle. While I never had any real complaints, I always found I was running out of something or needed to order something, and the lag time btw order and delivery was killing me. Are there any stores in the area that sell low carb products (outside of Trader Joe's)? I'm in the South Bay, but wouldn't mind travelling...
Thanks!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 16:57

Stats: 322/315/210
BF:
Progress: 6%
Wink Concord, CA

Hi everybody!

I'm just checking in from Concord, CA. Are there any locals that need a walking partner. I need outside help for motivation.

Let me know!!!!!!!!

-Shannon
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 10:07

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default RE Questions...

Yes, some sugar is in most ham curing process...average carbs seem to be 1 per oz...check the labels the best you can and use the least processed and not the honey baked (obviously). Make ham a treat and focus on other good quality proteins that you know don't have sugar the rest of the time.

Stores....Safeway even carries Atkins products..check out the pancake syrup...check your health food stores...I have found Atkins products and even their frozen bread at mine in San Leandro. I use online for ordering too and haven't found some items locally. I just buy in qty and reorder before I run out...sometimes it works...sometimes I order more next time. Otherwise I'd do a back to basics as everything you really need is at your local grocery store or food mill.

Concord's a little far to walk..but LC lunch maybe!

Cheers!

Beth
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, modified
Stats: 195/175.5/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Cool Pleasant Hill

Hi everyone. I live in Pleasant Hill (near Concord). I grew up in Berkeley. GNC stores carry some Atkins products. Our Albertons' carries a few bars and shakes. Havent found low carb bread. Is it found in the frozen section at Safeway? Have a wonderful day everyone
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 16:28

Stats: 322/315/210
BF:
Progress: 6%
Cool Contra Costa County

hi neighbor!

I just moved to N. Cal a year ago. I grew up in So. Cal Orange County).

I'm not very formilure with the area, but I do know where Pleasant Hill is. You're right next door...lol.

Anyway, I have not tried the Atkins shake, how is it? How many carbs?

I haven't tried the bread either, but how is that?

Off the subject, I have a great quote from my desk calendar today

"When you blame others, you give up your power to change"
-Dr. Robert Anthony

Have a great day everybody!!!!!!!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 12:58

Stats: 156/146/135
BF:
Progress: 48%
Cool Hi, I am new and from S. Orange County

Hi, fellow Californian's - I just wanted to introduce myself. I just started Atkins about 2 weeks ago. I have lost 4 pounds with 16 left to go for my goal weight. I know it will be slow with just a little to loose, but I hope that I see some kind of a loss every week. I have a question, how do you change your weight on the little thing that is to the left of your name? Also, does anyone know of any stores in my area that sell low-carb foods? I ordered some of the Keto products, haven't received them yet. I am a little concerned that the breads won't taste very good, anybody tried them? Only problem so far is constipation, any suggestions for this? Thanks for the support!
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 00:10

Plan: modified Atkins/Lean for Life
Stats: 257/235/130
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking

Hello,
I am in Tracy but I work in Fremont. I've been doing this since October 2001. I stopped in November due to my daughter's birthday, but attempted to follow a LC plan. I was pretty lucky I only gained 5 pounds thru the holiday. I started back and have lost a total of 18 pounds. Seems like I have hit a major stall. I now workout 4 days aweek and love it. I use to do this many years ago. I can not wait until I get my biceps and triceps to pop out.
Someone asked the question about a special store. The name of the store is Green Beanz. http://www.greenbeanz.com is the website address. They have 2 locations a store in San Ramon and a new store in Fremont. You can get many of the things you see online. They also do a Atkins workshop in both locations. I have never attended the classes, but my girlfriend who started me on this has. May I recommend if you have not already tried Judy's carmels. This is the first thing to purchase there. But also let me warn you. It is not a cheap place. But then again what is in the Bay area.
For the person in Modesto, I have had pretty good luck at Village Health Foodstore in McHenery Village for a couple of items. Because I bake my own bread this is a great place for flours.
I look forward to talking to each of you.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 15:56

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hello Roe,
I live just a few blocks from McHenry Village, so yes I have visited the Village Heathfood store. I get my flax meal there as well as a few other things. But truthfully, I usually just buy meats and eggs, cheese, and vegetables. Mostly just what you can find in any store. Sometimes I splurge and get the low carb tortillas at Trader Joe's. But I've never been big on low carb "products".

Shannon, I grew up in Concord. I was there with my brother this Tuesday to visit our Grandma. We went all over Concord, visiting our old haunts....showing the kids where we went to school and our old houses. We had great fun!

Well, greetings to all the other Northern Californians. Good to see you all here! Victoria
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 22:16
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/186/170
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Berkeley

Hello Californians! I'm new here - completed two weeks of LC.

I'm from Berkeley - just thought I'd check in.

Rain
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 11:26
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Rain..
how did you do on your first week? I live only an hour away from you...you are closer to the bay...I assume you're getting all of this beautiful weather too.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/186/170
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default two weeks

Hi,

It's been two weeks now, and I've lost nearly 5 pounds. Never in my life have I had a diet that I looked forward to. This is fantastic!

Yes, the weather is nice, but it's freezing in my office!

Rain