Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 20:42
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hiya,

I'm over here to review the stats, as requested Ms. FB

Well, what strikes me immediately is that this workout seems somewhat aerobic, the lighter weights with higher reps are going to tone your muscles, but I don't know if they are going to build a lot of LBM. Think of going for a really long walk until your muscles are so tired, you can't take another step. You're not going to end up with big bulky leg muscles from that type of walk, but your legs will be tight and firm and toned. Compare that to walking up and down stairs, lifting your own body weight up and down. You'll end up with bulkier muscles from that than walking (think of all those women in the early 90's with Stairmaster calves.)

Have you and your trainer talked about your goals? I'm assuming she's a certified personal trainer, which means she knows a lot more about exercise physiology than I do. If your goal is to build stamina and tone up, then you're probably doing the right workout. If you're really into building lean muscle mass, then you need to be lifting heavy enough weights to cause microtears to the muscles which is what causes the increase in size (during repair). I would ask your trainer what results you can expect from this type of workout.

I honestly think either goal would be a valid one. Perhaps you feel it's more important to increase your cardiovascular capacity for now and then work on building bigger muscles. Changing your workouts keeps your body progressing and changing and improving and since this is something you'll be doing for life, why not try it this way for a while? If after a month you don't feel it's getting you anywhere, then change the workout again. I really get the feeling you like this version, though, and that's the most important thing in my opinion.

Since you're just starting this workout, did you guys take measurements? Seeing the change in BF percentage will be a good way to judge if you think it's working the way you want.

Big kisses to Muscles Malone,

Dig (you wouldn't believe how many times I type that "Cig")
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:30
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dig,

I think you're right.

Toby's take on my situation is that I already have a fair amount of muscle mass just by virtue of carrying all this around every day, so he's interested in maintaining what I have while taking off some of the fat that's sitting on top of it. He thinks building muscle is a good thing, and we'll do some of that along the way, but it's only part of the equation.

Interestingly enough, Nat also thought I had a lot more LBM than my stats would indicate. And Toby got into the field because he'd had a fairly serious weight problem himself, and someone helped him. So I figure it's worth trying for a while. Like you said, both goals are valid, and it's nice to have a change.

It's also nice to have a trainer who is much more engaged in the process when we work together. Mark would answer any question that I had, but after the initial workout he would basically stand there and watch (or not) while I went through the exercises. There was very little interaction. Toby gets very involved, and it's kind of encouraging.

I'll see how it goes for a while.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 22:09
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:

Now will someone please explain to me why I thought Toby was a woman's name?
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 04:05
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24

Hey Ruth!

Sounds like your new trainer rocks! Also sounds like he is very interested in correct form-with you standing with your back braced against the wall. I think you will find that this type of workout will really give you results. Any soreness?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 09:15
Cat Sofa

BF:

Yes, surprisingly enough. I've been a lot more sore with this workout than I was with the old one.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 21:30
Cat Sofa

BF:

Second workout with Toby today, and he's changing things already -- basically more sets but with a few less reps and shorter breaks. We went from three sets of 25 on most things to four of 20. We increased the weight on the rows, did two slightly longer sets of step-ups (with a slightly longer rest in between this time), and added tricep extensions.

I was tired enough afterward that I needed a nap this afternoon (!), but I'm feeling great now, and kind of encouraged. After doing the same workout over and over for many weeks on end, it's nice to have things changed so quickly, and to feel like we're making progress.

Oh yes, and we've added a cardio component, using the flight of stairs right outside my door. Just up and down a couple of times a day for now, but it's a start, and it couldn't get a lot more convenient. (Oh dear, this means there's no excuse for not doing it, doesn't it?? )

Last edited by RGale : Fri, Jun-13-03 at 21:36.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 22:18

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

Hi Ruth... thought I would come by and see how you are doing... sounds like you are really doing wonderful! see ya later...
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 19:41
Cat Sofa

BF:

Thought I'd better record my current workout, as Toby tells me we're going to be changing it on Friday. I increased some weights, and added some extra reps this morning, so I'll put down what I was doing, and what I switched to.

Standing Fly (Cable cross machine) Three sets of 20 at 10 pounds. Unchanged.

Trunk Rotations (Cable-cross machine) Three sets of 15 at 10 pounds, both sides. Changed to three sets of 20 at 15 pounds.

Seated Row Three sets of 20 at 20 pounds. Changed to three sets of 25 at 35 pounds.

Standing Row (Using machine) Two sets of 20 at 20. Changed to two sets of 25 at 35.

Front and Lateral Raise (Using four pound free weights) Four sets of 20. Changed to four sets of 25.

Bicep Curls (Using four pound free weights) Four sets of 15. Changed to four sets of 20.

Squats (Modified, using pec deck seat, no weights) Three sets of 15. Changed to four sets of 15. These aren't "real" squats yet, but they're definitely a step up from the ball squats.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:25
Cat Sofa

BF:

New workout this morning.

Standing Chest Press (Cable-cross machine) Four sets of 20 ~ 25 lbs.

Alternate Rows and Bicep Curls (Cable-cross) Three sets ~ 20 lbs, one set = 5 rows and three curls, five times. (Total of 25 rows and 15 curls per set)

Tricep Pushdowns (Cable-cross) Two sets of 20 ~ 20 lbs.

Xs (Shoulders) (Cable-cross) Three sets of 15 ~ 10 lbs.

Leg Press Three sets of 15 ~ 60 lbs.

Hamstring Curls Three sets of 15 ~ 7.5 lbs.

Zottman's (Bicep/Forearm curls with free weights) Three sets of 15 ~ 4 lbs.

Step-ups 35 seconds, 1 minute rest, 50 seconds

I asked Toby about the longer sets and lighter weights today. He says the goal is to build LBM and endurance at the same time. This makes good sense to me, since the lack of endurance is one of my biggest problems physically.

Last edited by RGale : Fri, Jul-04-03 at 13:27.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 16:43
Cat Sofa

BF:

Standing Chest Press, cable cross machine, three sets of 20 ~ 20 lbs.

Alternating Rows and Bicep Curls, cable cross, five rows and three curls, four sets at 25 lbs. (Up from 20 lbs last time).

Tricep Pushdowns, cable cross, two sets of 20 at 20 lbs.

Xs, cable cross, three sets of 15 at 10 lbs.

Zottmans, three sets of 15 at 5 lbs. (Up from 4 lbs)

Seated fly , free-motion machine, two sets of 20 at 20 lbs. (New)

Leg Press, three sets of 15 at 145 lbs (up from 60 lbs last time!)

Step-ups, 35 seconds per set, eight sets (up from three last time.)
  #41   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 18:30
Cat Sofa

BF:

Bicep Curls (dumbell) 3 X 20, 10 lbs

Lateral Dumbell Raises 3 x 20, 5 lbs

Shoulder Press (machine) 3 x 20, 30 lbs

Tricep Extensions (Rope) 3 x 20, 40 lbs

Seated Row (machine) 3 x 20, 60 lbs