Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 14:25

Plan: Atlkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default no carbs, how long is OK?

Been on the Atkins diet for over 9 months, lost
35lbs after first 5 months(very good), then stopped losing, even though I had another 10lbs yet to go(not so good). Gradually, over last 4 months, I have put on another 10lbs again, so decided to go back on the induction phase to lose. Started induction again about 4 weeks ago, but this time, I could not get back into ketosis, using same methods that were successful when I first began the diet. My body seems to have adjusted to the minimum carbs.
So, about a week ago, after re-reading book, I dropped all carbs, and just eating meat, fish,eggs, cheese and fowl. Took about 4 days for my body to respond (formally took only 2 days), but managed to go back into ketosis again. Been doing this 0 carb for about a week now, drinking plenty of water, taking vitamins twice a day. Have not really lost anything significant yet, still feeling good, but major concern is what am I doing to my body by eliminating all carbs (especially veggies).
First, I have been somewhat constipated, as can be understood. I have previously tried psillium husks, and found them impossible to swallow without gagging (too slimy). I need something easier to swallow, capsules are possible, but don't want to take so many, but shouldn't contain carbs either.
Is my body going to suffer from lack of veggies on this in long term? How long can I do this 0 carbs for without causing long term health problems? Now that I finally have gotten back into ketosis, should I start to add salads back in again? I think I am very sensitive to carbs, and will go out of ketosis as soon as do re-introduce salads.
I have to say, that I really like the diet as a whole, but it is most unforgiving. Just folowing the recommendations, I have learned that my body is very much resistant to losing weight, and seems to be getting more difficult as I spend more time on the diet. And it is amazing how fast the weight comes back if I cheat just a little bit once in a while. It really is a little depressing to realize that since going on this diet over 9 months ago, my body has gotten less forgiving, and I have to be even more stringent. I don't know that I can realistically maintain this kind of disapline for the rest of my life, even though I want to. Too many temptations from my old life come back to haunt me,when I am not in ketosis... but I remain good and true to the diet. Even got a good medical checkup recently, and in spite of my former old evil ways, I was not a candidate for any medications. That did feel good.
So, am I destined to be a 0 carb diet for the rest of my life, because I know that if I stray, my weight increases like a shot. And am I harming myself?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:35

BF:
Default how about some comments!

anyone?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 20:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would follow induction as outlined including vegetables. The most important thing about low-carbing, is doing it slowly. The more time you take to make your new way of eating a habit, the more permanent it will become.

The temptation is there to stray when you feel that your body is not performing the way you want it too, but our bodies don't behave like that. They have a tempo of their own.

During a stall, plateau or whatever you want to call it, your body is taking a break. Allow it to have a rest. Do some tweaking of your plan and hang tight. Imagine all the changes your body has gone through in the past 9 months.

You may want to start a journal as there is no indication of what you have been eating. Your calories may be too low, you might not be drinking enough water, you may have been eating stuff like low-carb bars, you may be trying to do a low-fat version of low-carbing...

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 12:02

BF:

Karen, I guess I wanted to know if I am putting my body in harms way by eliminating the carbs for a time, while my body goes back into ketosis. It doesn't seem to hurt me. Now that I am again in ketosis, I have slowly been adding a small salad back in again. The weight seems to have settled at about 180lbs. I have probably been eating too much calories in my protein consumption, because I don't gain, and I don't lose. Originally, I thought that I could eat the same portions that I always have been used to. The constipation has been a problem on the induction phase. I have been drinking 10 or more cups of water daily. I have been exercising a moderate amount. I will continue the plan because I think the diet fits my lifestyle pretty well over all and its very healthy too. But it is so rigid at times, and there are many temptations over time. Whenever I go back to the induction phase, it seems that my body has previously adjusted itself to the limits and retrictions that were imposed from previous efforts. So, I wonder if I'll ever be able to eat occasional treats (once a month or so) again in the future, without putting back on weight again.It seems like I'll always have to go back on the induction phase every six-nine months.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 11:20

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Benefiber

Hi SKS! I feel your pain. This is my second time around. Lost 100 lbs on Low Carb 3 years ago and gained it back.

As far as the constipation, I found a new product by Ex-Lax called 'Benefiber.' It is 100% guar gum and is formulated so that it is not gritty or slimy, has no flavor, and you can add it to food or drinks (hot or cold.) It works really well. I have taken it twice during the weekends. It has 4 carbs per tablespoon, but 3 are dietery fiber.

I constantly worried about not getting enough fresh fruit and vegies the last time, and I stayed on a very low carb diet for 1 1/2 years. Nothing happened to me, but you need to make sure that you take at least vitamins C & E every day and WATER, WATER, WATER! I thought I was having gall bladder attacks, and had a sonagram done. Not one stone!!! I think the pain was coming from my office mate at the time!! Once a month, the doctor recommended that I eat all fruit and vegies and no protein. I tried it once and it set off sugar cravings like I had never had, so I stopped that. I normally don't even crave sugar.

I believe that once you've met your goal, and make sure it is realistic, you can maintain the weight loss and carefully add back your important carbs. But, I also believe it is a lifelong decision and will take 100% commitment. Keep your patience and persistence and don't waiver from your goal.

Good luck!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/206/140
BF:
Progress: 11%

bumping for more input.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 00:05

BF:
Default What does "bumping for more imput" mean?

What does "bumping for more imput" mean?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 00:19
Forum Founder

BF:

"Bumping" is when you post to a thread to make it active again. Every time a thread is posted to, it appears in "view new posts" and "today's active threads".

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 05:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

People can live successfully and healthily without any carbs for a long time. The Eskimo (Inuit) of the Arctic regions have managed for centuries with NO carbs during the long winters. The Protein Power Plan book (page 9) cites a study done in the 1929/30 when Arctic explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson & a colleague ate only meat & water for a complete year (monitored at Bellevue Hospital in NYC & documented by the Journal of the American Medical Association.) They ate about 2500 calories per day and it was 75% fat. Although they were already in good physical condition, they emerged from their year of no-carb eating as 6 pounds lighter, and "fitter, leaner, with lower cholesterol counts and healthier in every regard". Apparently, fresh meat contains a 'vitamin C-like" substance, so they didn't get scurvy. (Sailors on ships used to subsist on salted or preserved meat which had lost that substance, so they developed scurvy.)

BarB
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 10:32
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Karen, I guess I wanted to know if I am putting my body in harms way by eliminating the carbs for a time, while my body goes back into ketosis.

Yes, if you're not eating enough calories or drinking enough water.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 14:56

BF:
Default regarding calories and ketosis

Hi Karen,
" Yes, if you're not eating enough calories or drinking enough water. "

Regarding your answer about calories, I'm not sure what is correct...I have recently been undecided whether calories might be the culprit...I eat aprox. 1800 calories per day now,drink plenty of water, stay true to the plan, and I have been in ketosis for last four weeks...

Been on the Atkins diet for over 10 months...my portions were bigger when I started, and I lost weight...then I went on maintenance, added just a few extra carbs, same portions, same water, very little diet soda, no coffee, and gained back 5lbs. Went back onto induction four weeks ago, have been in ketosis, but have not lost any weight..even gained a little...again, plenty of water, 2 eggs with bacon for breakfast or brunch, have reduced total carbs back to one medium bowl of Romaine lettuce salad at dinner, almost no snacks in between because I'm not hungry...but stick to cheese snacks or meat when I do eat snacks...and increasing exercise to 30 min. per day on the Nordic Track when possible....still in ketosis, but don't really know what changed between the first weight loss and now...but seen others in this forum with same problem...sks