Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/135 Female 5-7
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Lost weight 1st 2 weeks but....

Hi, I have been using this site as a tool in my weight loss along with fitday.com. I started induction on 1/9/04 with my boyfriend. We both lost weight the first 2 weeks (about 8-9 pounds) but for the past 3-4 weeks we have not lost a single pound. We have a cruise on 4/21/04 & I am starting to freak out. I have at least 20 pounds to lose before the cruise. I know I need to increase my level of activity & I have but only this last week or two. Otherwise I have yoga but only once a week. I have noticed you ask for those who are in a stall to post a menu. So here is an average days menu:
Break: 1 or two hard boiled eggs
c/free Hot tea w/1 spenda & tsp of cream
snack: piece of string cheese
Lunch: Tuna w/mayo, pickle, sometimes avacodo
or chicken breast w/slice of chedd cheese on top
w/a salad 1&1/2c tossed with low carb Italian (Low Carb
Solutions from store)
snack: 1 hard boiled egg
Dinner: 2 C salad w/ground turkey w/garlic 2slice chedd cheese
2 small tom. wedges
Dessert: real whipping cream or a hot tea w/splenda & cream

We seem to do really well with the food & keeping our carb count at or under 20 g. One major thing we think may be keeping us from losing the weight is that on the weekends we do have cocktails. Mostly we drink vodka w/the diet flavored water or a few glasses of white wine. We also have been getting lc treats here & there..the cheescakes or chocolates. Are these the reasons for no weight loss? I am currently increasing my excersize trying to break this stall & get on track. Only 2 months left to get this weight off.
Please, I know many of you have offered great words of wisdom. Any help for me??

Sincerely, Teramo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 10:39

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It is quite common to stop losing weight around week 3. The body needs time to adjust. Also it may be repairing muscle tissue and muscle weighs more than fat.

It's not really a stall but if you want to start losing again, give up the vodka (sorry) and wine, cut out the low carb treats and see what happens. Your body can't burn fat when you've got alcohol is your system.

Increasing the excercise is also a good idea.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 13:42

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
One major thing we think may be keeping us from losing the weight is that on the weekends we do have cocktails. Mostly we drink vodka w/the diet flavored water or a few glasses of white wine. We also have been getting lc treats here & there..the cheescakes or chocolates.

Well it certainly is'nt helping????? It can be undoing everything you've done all week, don't you think?
Once your closer to your goal, the effects won't be as bad.

How ever you can expect a slow down and several weeks of no loss at all, it is normal.

Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 21:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/123/120 Female 5 ft 7
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default sweet stuff

I started going through the same thing right after my first 2 weeks.....
I didn't drink but I found the sweets (lo carb) I stopped losing and I realized that I've got to cut them out......they obviously don't help me at all. I'd rather drop the last few pounds and reward myself at the end then have it stop my before I get to my goal....

good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 14:39

Plan: Atkin's diet
Stats: 175/156/145 Female 5 foot 9 inches
BF:30%26%22%
Progress: 63%
Angry

I too have stopped losing. After reading this thread I am suspecting it is the lo-carb candy i have discovered. I am cutting that out. I am getting tired of meat and cheese. I know I need to step up the exercise. I have lost 15 lbs in the first three weeks but haven't lost any in 2. I have added 1/2 cup of cottage cheese in the evening and about 4 frozen strawberries to my morning shake (thats usually my breakfast) sometimes I have about 1/4 cup of almonds or sunflower seeds as an afternoon snack. Sure doesn't seem like much but I have definitely stalled.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:20

Stats: 170/160/135 Female 5-7
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all so much for your advice! I think no lc treats for a while is a good answer! And no vodka & wine!! It seems all my hard work goes down the tubs when I pour that glass of wine. MMackey, I noticed you lost 15 pounds in the first few weeks or so. That is amazing! Good for you. Would you mind giving me an idea of an average days menu, so I could compare???

Thanks again! This site is so helpful!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:25
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi I had to cut out the cheese to help me. And I know you hate to hear it but the alcohol has to go..... for awhile anyway