Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 13:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 733/733/68 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy A little support please

Please Rosebud and BJ, you guys are great and just across the ditch. I'm having a problem with giving up wine for induction. I have done it before, but I seem to be completely useless. Any ideas on what other beverage or "habit" I could take up. I also take citalopram and epilim (mood stabilizer and anti depressant). There hows that? Oh and the other thing you may like to help me with is like a daily menu that suits us over here with our limitations. (product wise) The protein bars are very expensive and I seem to keep turning to chicken sausages. It is more expensive eating this way. I really look forward to hearing from you guys. Bye for now Kaznz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 14:38
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kaz,

I use very little in the way of "products." The protein bars seem to be a bad idea anyway, as I'm forever reading of folk who stall on them (make you feel better? ). You can check my journal (just hit the journal icon at the bottom of each post) to see the sort of stuff I'm eating.

I eat a lot of mince cos it's cheap. The best way to get cut price meat is either go to a bulk butcher (if you have them in Enzed?) or go to the supermarket within half an hour or so of closing on Saturday. We've had some real bargains that way.
Meat and vegies are getting quite dear here at the moment because of the drought. Not much we can do about that.

I'm not sure how I can help you with the wine thing. How much do you drink? If it's only a glass or two a day, I truly wouldn't worry too much. Taking chromium is supposed to help - maybe worth a try.

How about starting up your own journal here, Kaz? Just go to the My Journal/Bootcamp forum. If you click on tamarian's announcement, you'll see a message from Doreen underneath with more journal info. The journals are kept in alphabetical order so yours would be under "K to L."

I look forward to reading your journal, matey.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 21:45

Plan: 0
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

Kaz in reference to the wine just remember this.

Just like taking preference to burning carbs instead of fat your body will take preference to burning alchohol instead of fat. So even if your still in ketosis, for as long as the alchohol is in your system your body will not be burning fat.

I agree with Rosebud on the bars, they taste like **** and will most likely stall you.

Look for recipes on LC things you can make for snacks like breads, cereals and muffins. Ones where you can choose what sweeteners and flavourings etc... go into them so you can keep them from stalling you.

Hope that Helps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 21:54
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi Meme,

Please remember that bad language can offend others. I refer you to our forum rules.

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 22:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks Meme

Meme, thanks for those words about the wine. I will keep it in mind, but I really do love a glass at the end of the day. My hubby and my friends and sis and her hubby all smoke. I don't and I guess my weght loss will be a little slower, but it's better than being stressed at the end of the day. Well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it
Bye for now
Kaz
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 16:38

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%

Hi Kaz,

Just another thought...if you are finding the odd glass of wine is slowing things down too much, try having it in a smaller glass...cuts down the quantity without you feeling like you are missing out to much

Good luck
Lesley
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:12

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%
Lightbulb

..another thought, how 'bout a 'spritza' 1/2 wine 1/2 soda water.

or I find tonic water with a slice of cucumber the best thing to replace the 'real thing'
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 18:40
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks

The soda and cucumber sounds interesting.............thanks you guys for those suggestions. CHEERS
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 03:31

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 79/74/69
BF:
Progress:
Default Kaz and Wine

Hi Kaz,
I also find it hard to quit the wine habit. I have found a reasonable substitute that makes you think you are having a drink. It is Soda, Diet Lime Cordial and Bitters (Angustura).
I use a good shake of the Bitters, about 2 tablespoons of the Cordial and fill up with Soda Water and Ice. Not quite the same as a good glass of wine but no carbs and you tend not to want another one.
The Bitters does contain alcohol but you have so little of it that I don't think it would count.
Good luck with Atkins and cutting the alcohol