Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-10, 16:12

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If you read Peat's article on "Food Junk" (see link below), you will find some information about his preference for masa (alkaline treated corn) and about his views on lactic acid and yogurt. Also carageenan.

http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/carrageenan.shtml
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 04:52

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 165/160/120 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress:

Does anyone know what Ray Peat says we should do for exercise?

I love weight training, HIIT and spinning a few times per week but I guess it all produces a significant amount of lactic acid. And when I mobilize the fat (through HIIT) and then burn it off (with some spinning) is that maybe harmful due to all the PUFAs and the tryptophan released?

He also states that fasting isn't good, but I love to do it every once in a while...

If I followed his guidelines strictly my weightloss would be really slow I guess. Which can be good, of course, but is really bad for my motivation....
Any suggestions on how I can accelerate my weightloss without doing any damage to my body?
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 18:39

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

For TigerLily1 and jem51, there's a great gelatin product from Great Lakes Gelatin called "Collagen Hydrolysate" http://greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/CollagenFAQ.php. It is made from beef and is kosher, and the best thing is that you can put it in coffee, milk, juice, etc. and it does not gel. The rep from the company told me she's switched over to using the hydrolysate exclusively now for that reason.

GabrielaFr, I'm not sure what he says about exercise, so I emailed him and will post when I get an answer.

Although I've been vacillating between following Ray Peat and Matt Stone, I'm leaning more towards Pet again. Anyone else out there???
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 18:45

BF:

I'm here, still livin' La Vida Peat-a. (But then again, you already knew that.)

Tee hee.

:-)

Cathy
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 18:49

BF:

Yes, I did know that, and you are a big reason I'm leaning towards Peat again. But you probably knew that already.

I "bit the bullet" and ordered the hydrolysate in bulk. I figure if the economy tanks and I can't afford much food, I'll get my protein in anyway. Now I need to make some fruit concentrate squares and smoothies to use up the container of regular collagen I have.

Let's get this thread active again, shall we?
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 19:10

BF:

Okay, let's do!

It is funny, I came by here this morning to check out some information from the original Peat Guidelines post and I was thinking how great it was that you made the effort to get this thread up and running. It is so hard to find this information elsewhere and thanks to you, people will have access to this info for years to come!

Also by coincidence, I just bought some KNOX gelatin at the store! Now I know that seems crazy, given my apparent sensitivity to it, but I wanted to make orange jigglers with OJ and see what happens. When I ate those gummy worms last month and my blood sugar went sky high, I asked Ray Peat about it and he thought I might be reacting to the tapioca syrup in it. I did not get the usual allergic reaction I had to gelatin, however - racing pulse, flushed face, etc., so I wondered if maybe the process of boiling and chilling might make it more "Cathy friendly" than when I used to just drink it in hot water. Figured it was worth $1.39 to find out.

If I can tolerate it, I will order the Great Lakes stuff. I assume they still are making the gelatin, too? It would be great if it works for me. I am REALLY tired of making my own gelatinous broth!

Cathy
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 19:16

BF:

Oh yes, they are still making the gelatin. Best price is from amazon for either the beef (kosher) or porcine. I got beef. And here's a link to some great recipes from their site: http://greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/recipes.php
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 19:19

BF:

Forgot to add, here's a link to Lita Lee's January 2011 newsletter for anyone who's interested; she subscribes to the Peat-style of eating. She says the Great Lakes gelatin is the ONLY one she recommends.
Lita Lee January 2011 Newsletter
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-11, 03:39

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 165/160/120 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress:

I'm still living Ray Peat style too and had some success with it. My period seems to have become really regular which is untypical for me and this even though I was very stressed with university stuff the past few weeks....
I love it. My digestion is better, my mood and my energy.... The only thing that's still bothering me is my skin. I'm still having issues with my acne, but I'm hoping that this will go away after my hormones fully get back into balance and it is just typical for me that stress manifests itself on my skin, so I'm not really surprised.... We'll see! But what I'm doing feels right so far!

Thanks for asking Ray Peat my exercise question! Keep me updated!

I asked him something too about my thyroid issues and he replied immediately! He's just cool!
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-11, 18:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Ray Peat Eating

I actually thought this was Southern Drawl for my condition!

OVER EATING >>>>> REPEAT EATING >>>>>>>>> RAY PEAT EATING

Imagine my shock to find it is a guy's name!

Hah!

You guys have a great plan for your needs . Good Job!

#56   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 08:07

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the info one the new gelatin product.
I don't know if I'll have enough use for it though, but will keep it in mind.
I already use the regular, kosher in soups, yogurt making and dessert type things and I use it in smoothies that are blended anyway so no lumps.
Peat does say that gelatin is better absorbed if heated but I don't know if that is just an opinion..
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 12:09

BF:

Jem,
Does he mean it is better absorbed if it is consumed while warm/hot or does he mean it should be prepared by dissolving it in a hot liquid (which can then be consumed after it is chilled)?

Thanks,
Cathy
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 11:33

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

That is a very good question and one I have pondered.

If it's in something that is cooled, like a dessert, then....?

I don't know. But he does state that it will still be absorbed just not as quickly (efficiently?)....if I remember correctly.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 12:14

BF:

Well, as long as the gelatin gets dissolved in a hot liquid first, I imagine it is still well absorbed in cold, gelled form.

Speaking of which, I am going to make some custard with gelatin. I emailed Dr. Peat and asked if it was okay to consume vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cinnamon in small amounts. This is what he replied:

"Vanilla is very safe, nutmeg is fairly allergenic, cinnamon
slightly."

I am glad that vanilla is safe. I LOVE my homemade vanilla extract.

Cathy
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-11, 08:14

BF:

Hey Cathy,

Can you share the custard recipe? Thanks!

Okay, so my order of Collagen Hydrolysate came in—it will take me a L-O-N-G time to use it all up (had to order 10 lbs., bulk was cheaper than 1-lb. canisters). So, if anyone is interested in buying some in from me, let me know via PM. It's $11/lb. (which is what is cost me incl. shipping) + postage to you (cheapest way possible). The only available site for individual canisters was here: http://www.litalee.com/SFP_shopexd.asp?id=422 which does not include shipping, so it's definitely a savings if you want to buy some from me.