Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/187/150 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default back at it

I have done Atkins before and I felt better, but didnt lose much, I dont think I ever got into ketosis. I was on insulin at the time. But taking meds that raised my blood sugar, so didnt see much there either. But I felt good. But was very tired at times.
I am off insulin now and off that med. That was over two years ago. I have tried to low carb with the paleo diet and but I had a hard time sticking to it. But I am determined now. The dr wants me to do low carb and no grains and suggested Atkins. So I am starting tomorrow. I have a menu to follow for the first two weeks for induction and then I will try some recipes from the diet site. I know the basics. I have read an Atkins book, but I dont remember which one, it was like easy something or other, I will try to find it. I have concerns that I will get hypolgycemic on induction. I will be monitering my blood sugar. Since I no longer use insulin this might be ok.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 22:18

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good that you found a dr that supports a low carb way of eating. Relax and be patient with yourself as you figure this out. It might be beneficial to have a copy of ONE of the Atkins books handy as a reference and inspiration. Unfortunately I can't recommend one as I don't follow that plan but others here do with great success!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 06:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back
There is a good Atkins Induction plan in the sticky on top of that forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
The Atkins made Easy book includes a real food plan, but more space was devoted to their bars, shakes, and other processed food. My suggestion would be to Just Eat Real Food and you'll be good.
Check out the diabetes forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and this short TedTalk. https://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ and summary. https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
Look around for the type of support that will help you the most, maybe join a daily weigh-in thread, start a journal, etc.
All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 08:46

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the welcome, I have one of the Atkins books but I dont know where it is at the moment or if I tossed it in disgust first time around. The two week easy all ral food plan was monotenous. I will check that out and check into getting a book. I understand there is a book online somewhere. If my sugar drops, I have read here, I can up the veggies that day or add like carrots or squash. I think thats right.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 11:40
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Hi and Welcome
Congrats on getting here and good luck with your journey.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 13:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoon53
Thanks for the welcome, I have one of the Atkins books but I dont know where it is at the moment or if I tossed it in disgust first time around. The two week easy all ral food plan was monotenous. I will check that out and check into getting a book. I understand there is a book online somewhere. If my sugar drops, I have read here, I can up the veggies that day or add like carrots or squash. I think thats right.

Monotonous? Here's a site with recipes filtered only for Ketogenic or strict LC ones. Only monotonous if you choose it to be.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...%5D=strict&sp=2

Nancy has a great thread here in Best Of forum, the "I am so Bored with LC food" one...terrific ideas: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...575#post9174575

A number of good threads in the diabetes forum about testing your BG after new foods/meals. Once you consistently stay under 100, consider adding a measured amount of x food, and test 1,2 and 3 hours after. Only your own body and glucose meter has the answer to what foods you can safely eat.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 04:29

BF:
Progress:

It was just that specific two week plan I tried to follow to the letter in that particular book. When I took the time to look up recipes and make my own food choices, ts not so boring I did check that thread out, a good way of looking at the issue and I do eat the samething a lot of times, such as toast and eggs everyda for breakfast, or did, no toast now, just eggs and what ever else I add for breakfast. I did find a nice sven day plan and I am using the tools on the website to check the menu out, I added some fat.Exited to try this again! My friend today told me shes starting Atkins again too, so we can bounce ideas off of each other. I have been reading the newbie stickys
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 09:28
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

It's great to have someone following any type of challenge or new WOE with you. It helps to hold you accountable. That's why so many of us are here. Support and accountability It really helps!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 15:00

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

Welcome hmoon53. I'm glad I came to your post, because I've already seen some interesting links I need to check out! You will have lots of good advice and support here - Best of luck to you!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 17:45

BF:
Progress:

thanks! first day went pretty good, even though my carbs were a bit ff, 23 rather than twenty. but i wasnt hungry thats for sure.