Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-17, 12:40

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 275/201/140 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Hello from Texas

Hi ya'll.

I have not been on the sight since 2003----goodness! At the time, I was following Atkins and then came down with kidney stones. My dr pulled me off the diet quick. (She wasn't happy with it to begin with) Shortly after, I found out I had diabetes. I tried all the diabetic nutritionist advice...and never improved. Then I threw in the towel and felt destined to die early. I woke up one day and decided "no". I would fight this. I read everything I could get my hands on and have been struggling with on again off again low carbing. I have a vast amount of book knowledge and quite a bit of experiene, but little staying power.

I restarted 2 weeks ago, but with a different attitude. I've come to grips with the fact I can't and won't be perfect, and I am allowing myself the time to change. I must forget the all or nothing mentality. Before when I messed up, I quit completely. This time it will be different. My life depends on it.

My heaviest was 300 for a blip, followed by 275 then 250. Eventually, I got down to 215-225 and stayed there (up and down)forever. I am currently at 201. I am two pounds away from hitting below 200 for the first time in 20 years. I am very excited.

I am now following LCHF. Of course, I tweak and make it my own. My hubby is doing this with me cause he is diabetic and overweight as well. Some days it is easier with a partner--some days not so much--LOL.

I've decided I am worth the time and effort this is going to take.

Marla
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-17, 20:41
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumoodytoo
... Then I threw in the towel and felt destined to die early. I woke up one day and decided "no". I would fight this. I read everything I could get my hands on and have been struggling with on again off again low carbing. I have a vast amount of book knowledge and quite a bit of experiene, but little staying power.

Welcome. You've come (back) to the right place. There is plenty of great information here and many people who have done or are doing what you have decided that you want to do. Hang out here and you will get the support you need.

I was a diabetic 3 years ago. For the past 2 years my A1C scores have been normal. This IS how we need to eat. The key for me was to stop the "off again" part. Make cheating NOT AN OPTION. Overeat on-plan foods if you feel the need on any given day - but stay out of the junk.

I divided foods into two groups. Foods I eat and foods that I don't eat. I don't ever eat from the off plan list. When my head starts doing that will I or won't I game, I nip in in the bud. I DON'T EAT THAT FOOD ANYMORE. It really does work. No drama. The answer is always NO to off plan foods. Not one bite.

Of those foods that I do eat - the on plan foods - there are some that I try to limit. Peanut butter, nuts, cheese, and other such calorie dense low carb foods. I don't always succeed, but I don't consider them cheating. They don't hammer my system with sugar. If I'm having trouble with something - like I have with peanut butter from time to time, I will put it in timeout and not eat it (or even have it around) for a while. Later I will try and work it back in and try to keep it in moderation.

The past 3 years have not been perfect by any means, but totally staying out of the sugary junk has kept me headed in the right direction. This forum has helped greatly, too. Consider starting a journal. It is more than a place to log your progress. It is also a place to make LC friends and get support. Join a challenge. I've been participating in the TDC weekly weigh-in thread for a couple of years. It helps keep me on point. Every little thing helps.

I wish you the best. Make LC how you eat and you will beat diabetes and regain your health. I was a sick puppy 3 years ago. I'm anything but that today.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-17, 09:27

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 275/201/140 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Welcome. You've come (back) to the right place. There is plenty of great information here and many people who have done or are doing what you have decided that you want to do. Hang out here and you will get the support you need.

I was a diabetic 3 years ago. For the past 2 years my A1C scores have been normal. This IS how we need to eat. The key for me was to stop the "off again" part. Make cheating NOT AN OPTION. Overeat on-plan foods if you feel the need on any given day - but stay out of the junk.

I divided foods into two groups. Foods I eat and foods that I don't eat. I don't ever eat from the off plan list. When my head starts doing that will I or won't I game, I nip in in the bud. I DON'T EAT THAT FOOD ANYMORE. It really does work. No drama. The answer is always NO to off plan foods. Not one bite.

Of those foods that I do eat - the on plan foods - there are some that I try to limit. Peanut butter, nuts, cheese, and other such calorie dense low carb foods. I don't always succeed, but I don't consider them cheating. They don't hammer my system with sugar. If I'm having trouble with something - like I have with peanut butter from time to time, I will put it in timeout and not eat it (or even have it around) for a while. Later I will try and work it back in and try to keep it in moderation.

The past 3 years have not been perfect by any means, but totally staying out of the sugary junk has kept me headed in the right direction. This forum has helped greatly, too. Consider starting a journal. It is more than a place to log your progress. It is also a place to make LC friends and get support. Join a challenge. I've been participating in the TDC weekly weigh-in thread for a couple of years. It helps keep me on point. Every little thing helps.

I wish you the best. Make LC how you eat and you will beat diabetes and regain your health. I was a sick puppy 3 years ago. I'm anything but that today.

Thank you! I appreciate the response. I was contemplating the journaling...now I will give it a shot. The 2 food groups is a great idea!