Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-17, 23:14

Plan: make if up as I go
Stats: 200/174/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello From Seattle

I just wanted to take a moment and say Hi!

So this is me... I am 52 and have been type 2 diabetic for 14 years. I was taking 1,000 MG of Metformin twice a day and 4MG of Glimepiride twice a day- and getting sicker everyday- my A1c was 9.4 which shows the treatment wasn't helping.

Then one day I happened across this video on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwgdX5VxGc&t=8s

What? You say type 2 diabetes doesn't have to be a chronic progressive disease? Well- sign me up! My life changed.

About the first week of July 2016 I started on an incredible path.. the less traveled path- one most doctors and dieticians wouldn't recommend. That was when I started intermittent fasting and low carb eating.

On July 23rd I stopped taking all my diabetic meds. I knew I had to- I was having sugars in the 70s and one as low as 50. Yes it was scary- yes my blood sugars bounded upward... but as I continued IF and LCHF eating they came down. After three months my A1c was 5.4 and that is normal- normal high but still 'normal'. Ohmm and I also had lost 30 lbs.

About that time we had to have the cat put down and that depressed me. Then there were the holidays. I did really good holding to the low carb part- but the fasting I wasn't so good with so I am have done a little backsliding- my last A1c was 6.6 way higher then I want. However I know what to do and have already started back on the path.

I will never again be a slave to Big Pharma nor Big Food. It is so liberating!!

Ohmm and the bacon is awesome!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 02:23

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good for you. Keep right on.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 05:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Luren,

It really angers me that so many T2s have to stumble upon this information by themselves trolling the internet.

Check out the diabetes sub-forum here. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Read back through a page or two of threads (including the warning at top about adjusting medications..maybe you can help friends who want to start LC)

People have been following Dr Richard Bernstein's LC plan for many years. Dr Westman https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Dr+westman. and Hallberg http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467426
also have VLC plans for diabetics that until now, have had limited press. But that is changing! Quite a few vocal people here...you have found a great forum aligned with your way of eating. Look around, ask questions on any thread and it will pop back to top of that section.

There is an active Dr Fung thread started back in June 2014 for people using IF, which Dr Westman also encourages but calls it meal timing.

PS: Dr Westman's Duke Clinic plan is the one in the back of your Why We Get Fat book. Because it is so strict with carbs and permitted foods, it is a great way to get back on track super fast. The combo of Westman and IF stops cravings and starts fat burning quickly. I too fell off strict LC with knee surgery, holidays and an anniversary cruise, but have reversed the damage...and you will too.
Sorry about your kitty, losing our furry friends is so hard

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-08-17 at 05:42.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 08:49

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

Congratulations! Being able to control and maintain based lifestyle choice is amazing, and freeing, and far healthier. I just wish people wouldn't be so antagonistic towards Pharma - there are folks out there who are type 1 and would die without meds. There are folks in chronic pain that is alleviated by meds (ie, after surgery, a severe accident, late stage cancer). I do believe that many medications are overprescribed, and that many folks would be much better served following alternative paths, but there are some things that can't be fixed by lifestyle or holistic remedies. <steps off soapbox>
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 09:55

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi -- Congrats and keep it up! It really works.... just a note that my partner got his A1C down from 7.2 to 5 in four months. His doc doesn't even consider him T2 anymore.

I have found that 18 hour fasting and two meals a day works wonders. 9 months in, cravings are gone, and my body and mindset have adjusted to lower portions, feeling that they are enough, and that "enough" is a good feeling and "stuffed" is not a good (nor necessary feeling) -- and that I can enjoy the delicious tastes without wanting to overindulge. It is a mind-blowing new way of relating to food. But I am quite strict and "no-cheats" about it. I think some of the benefits of how one feels about this WOE (not deprived, sated, excited about the flavors and tastes) come a few months in.

I am still losing weight... I am about 17 pounds till goal, some of which will happen very quickly because I have to have some surgery in the next couple of weeks. After I reach goal, I have to start thinking about maintenance and figuring my sustainable carb/fat balance. I am thinking I won't stray too much from what I'm doing, but I will up the "good" carbs (ie, more veggies, with a few "treat" veggies and some fruits that are just a bit higher than induction carbs) and the "better" fats (avocado, olive, fish oils) until I stabliize and get a reading on how my LDL (which is currently high) is looking. I'm not overly fussed about the LDL, but it could come down a little and that would make my doc a bit happier!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 10:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xqiu0ekahw

This is how I feel, when I read near daily accounts of yet another person normalizing their blood glucose through low carb/intermittent fasting.

I hope you stick around, Luren.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 11:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

yeah to miracles.
Another miracle this morning posted on DietDoctor, another angry at the ADA and vowing to educate others about LC. https://www.dietdoctor.com/making-l...other-diabetics