Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 12:26

Plan: Low Carb High Fat
Stats: 255/248/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress:
Default New to Low Carb

I was newly diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. After being unable to tolerate Metformin my MD wanted to place me on a diabetic medication that research showed tripled my risk for pancreatic cancer. I told him there had to be a better way so I started reaching my options and discovered all of the positive feedback about low carb diets.

I have always been told that low fat and calorie restricted diets were the way to go, but found them hard to follow because of always feeling so hungry. I m so happy and relieved that just after a week on a low carb diet not only do I no longer feel famished all the time my fasting blood sugar has dropped from 200 to 127 and I have started to loose weight.

I am excited now to keep it gong and find support and recipes from other people who have discovered this life changing way of eating.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 12:55

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Welcome, but you just got my blood boiling.

You had to find out about low carb yourself? ....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 13:09
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome She55! You are doing the right thing. I too was a type 2 diabetic. I changed how I eat to low carb and now I'm not a type 2 diabetic. Making the switch permanently is tough to do at first. There are a lot of old habits and I was definitely a carb addict. Time on plan took care of that. I easily stay out of the junk that messes with my blood sugar. My BG is rarely above 100 these days. And a bunch of other health issues got resolved as well. It wasn't just diabetes.

I wish you the best as you get started. Resolving your diabetes with diet is the way to go. Stick with it and you will amaze your doctors with what you have accomplished all on your own.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 13:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome She55,
You have found a great forum for information and support. There is a Diabetes forum under Health, http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and many types of support with buddy groups, challenges, or starting your own journal.
All the best,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 15:15

BF:
Progress:

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support!

My MD did refer me to a diabetic diet class, but he said there were not any openings until late May. I wanted to educate myself way before then since he was recommending that I go ahead and start medication with such scary research before any kind of diet intervention.

I go back to him tomorrow for a follow up so he sure is going to be surprised at what I was able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 16:01
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Congratulations She55
It sounds like you're off to a great start!
Welcome
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 16:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by She55
My MD did refer me to a diabetic diet class, but he said there were not any openings until late May. I wanted to educate myself way before then since he was recommending that I go ahead and start medication with such scary research before any kind of diet intervention.

I go back to him tomorrow for a follow up so he sure is going to be surprised at what I was able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.

No doubt the diabetic class he referred you to was a standard class that does not advocate a low carb diet. Don't be surprised if your doctor does not approve of a low carb diet. Many don't but you might be lucky and have one that does. However your visit turns out keep doing what you are doing. Low carb is the best way to go for type 2 diabetes (and most anything else).

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 16:25
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well done on your great progress so far! 127 is a huge improvement in such a short time.

Hopefully it won't be long until you are back in the normal range.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 16:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome. Congrats on quick success! I agree with Jean, you might want to be careful of what you tell the doc. You don't have to lie, but a lot of them will recoil in terror when you mention the words "low carb" because they've fallen for the propaganda that totally misrepresents what LC eating really is. I phrase it like this: "I gave up junk food, most processed foods, and my bad snacking habit. I also learned to cook, and to really enjoy vegetables. Just plainly-prepared whole foods!" They don't need to know that I gave up HeartHealthyWholeGrains™, those apples that supposedly keep doctors away, and low-fat everything.

I hope you'll keep us posted.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 18:05

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Kristine for the heads up. What you said about a lot of MDs not advocating low carb is right on track with what I have read. They are resistant to the science because of the way they have done things for years.

The big difference in my numbers and the way I feel in such a short time has me convinced I am on the right path. I made it through the first week so I am not going back to the feeling tierd and hungry all the time.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-16, 04:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Congrats on your progress in one week Kristine gave good suggestions how to describe what you eat to your doctor. There are now many studies and clinical experience supporting why a LC diet should be the first approach to Diabetes, but you may not want to get into that yet. Keep reading, watching Dr Sarah Hallberg's TEDtalk, Dr Westman's videos on DietDoctor, and for an amazingly complete resource, Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes University on YouTube. LOwCarbRN.com, a Diabetes educator, has links to hundreds of resources that will help you.

This photo of the amount of sugar in your blood and the amount of sugar recommended by the ADA diet for diabetics (what that class likely teaches) is the best graphic illustration of why LC should be the first treatment.
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/dia...b-for-diabetes/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-21-16 at 05:06.