Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-16, 10:09

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 215/174.6/150 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Re-Newbie

Plagiarizing from my journal a bit here . . .

I've started anew because I am moving on to a new Chapter In Life. So I'm going make myself new :-). Let me explain a bit.

Over the past several years I've taken care of Mom, while working full time, as the only child (I'm single) and no other family living. I spent several years commuting coasts monthly, taking care of her home and finances as my sole vacation time. Eventually, I moved her from the West Cost to be closer to me. I spent the last year sleeping on a cot in her living area every single night because she needed round the clock supervision.

She transitioned to Memory Care for Alzheimer's at the end of this Sept. She is happier because she is far less lonely and has made friends, and much to my surprise, socializes in the many activities that are provided. I feared the whole "how could you do this to me?" scene, which never materialized; instead she keeps commenting on how lovely everything is. Although I visit nearly every evening after work for a bit, this has given me my life back in a major way. I am taking a three day vacation this coming weekend, this first in years! Part of all of this has also been a commitment to getting my health/weight on track.

It has been a heck of a past half decade or so. At 5'4", I ballooned to over 210#. It was emotional eating. It was being stuck in airports with nothing but junk food around. It was eating just to eat with Mom as something to do. It was the usual carb addition. It was being exhausted and lazy. It was the carbs and weight making me more exhausted. It sucked.

I have moved on from this. I started again on Aug 8 doing (modified) Atkins. I made it through Halloween without a single candy. For Thanksgiving I almost gave in to a piece of Pecan Pie, but the buffet had pumpkin soup which I slurped while Mom ate ice cream and cake.

Today was a great scale day. #182.6. And the belt wanted to go in another notch. Best of all, I'm not hungry ***constantly***.

Work is still super stressful. My car is being especially cranky and is threatening that it wants me to spend tons of money on it. The weather has turn gray and rainy. The cable bill went up again.

It is all okay.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-16, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/286/200 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Congratulations on your GreAt day!!! I am new here, since 9/29/16. Lost 25 pounds so far and 1.5 inches. I am a live in caregiver, 4 days a week. I have been with my client/friend for 2 1/2 years. She is 92. I have gained allot of weight here...your mom sounds like she is happy. You did a good job taking care of her. Keep up the good work.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-16, 14:53

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Taking care of one's parents can be rewarding but difficult at the same time!

I'm glad your mom is happy in her new place!!! That is important I think!

You did good for her now take care of yourself & this WOE/WOL is a great way to do just that!!!

This is a wonderful community to get to know & get involved with! Loads of help, info & support from people that have been LCarbing it for many years & maintaining their weight loss!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 09:08

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome back Karl and first off, kudos for taking such great care of your Mom!

My hubby's mother (he too is an only child) had Alzheimer's for about twelve years until she passed away a little over a year ago. Part of that time - before she was officially diagnosed - she lived independently in a city 600 miles from us. Over the course of about two or three years, we must have made two dozen emergency flights to unscramble one mess or another that she had gotten herself into...including a fight with a neighbor that landed her in jail! (Only later did we realize that the weird behaviors and unexplained combativeness were symptoms of her disease!) Then MIL lived in Assisted Living for awhile until she began to wander and they feared she might wander out of the unlocked facility. Then she moved in with us for a while. I quit my job and tried to work from home so I that could be with her during the daytime. Hubby took over in the evenings and we put a pressure sensitive alarm in her bed and another alarm on her bedroom door so that, if she got up during the night, it woke us up. That worked as long as all she needed was supervision and reminders and "redirection." But then she got to the point where she needed more hands-on physical help than we could provide (she was a BIG woman) and and we had to move her into a Memory Care Facility. Like your Mom, she actually loved it and lived there quite happily for almost six years. Unfortunately, the cost ate up her entire savings and, while Hubby and I supplemented things for awhile, we eventually realized that we had to stop spending OUR retirement savings on her care...so we had to move her to a Medicaid facility for the last couple of years of her life. Not nearly so good. They took good care of her physically but provided little or no mental stimulation or "social life." However, by that point, her mental capacity had deteriorated to the point where I don't think she was really even aware of her surroundings anymore.

Meanwhile, my stepmother was also diagnosed with Alz. My Dad, who has major health problems of his own (congestive heart failure, pulmonary fibrosis and T2 diabetes), became step-mom's sole caregiver, looking after her 24/7 by himself for seven years until it finally just became way too much for him. His pulmonary fibrosis requires him to use supplemental oxygen at all times and he had gotten so weak physically, he could no longer walk more than about 100 feet...much less look after a physically healthy wife with Alzheimer's who often behaved somewhat like a rambunctious four-year old child! The final straw was when she decided to reheat coffee while Dad was getting a shower...and set the Mr. Coffee carafe directly on the burner on the stove! Needless to say, the carafe broke and its plastic handle fell directly onto the burner, melted and eventually caught fire. Dad came out of the shower to find the house full of thick black smoke and stepmother sitting 10 feet away from the stove watching TV and apparently unaware that anything was amiss! Not at all good for his lung condition! Fortunately, he got the fire out and the two of them safely outside. But...

I wanted to move them both here to TX where I could look after them but my stepbrother, who has POA over her finances, absolutely refused to allow any of her money to be spent hiring daytime caregivers to help out or even to assist with her living expenses if she moved to Texas. In his mind, she had a paid-for home in NC, so why should she spend ANY money living anywhere else? Nor was he willing to even help pay for caregiver help for the two of them. In stepbrother's mind, if Dad couldn't manage, then DAD was the one who needed help so Dad should pay for it 100%. In his mind, his Mother was "a little forgetful sometimes" but, if it weren't for my Dad, she could still manage living by herself with no problems! This despite the fact that she had scored a 14 on the MMSE several years previously and had clearly declined since then.

Dad moved the two of them into a care facility in NC for awhile. (Her in the Alzheimer's wing and him around the corner in the Assisted Living Wing) with Dad paying the freight for the both of them...to the tune of almost $10,000/month! He then took Stepbrother to court to get the court to order him to take over paying for his mother's costs using HER money. Soon as the court required stepbrother to start paying, he started bitching about how unhappy his mother was there and finding nit-picky things to complain about regarding her care until he finally talked Dad into letting him take stepmother out and back home, supposedly to live with him and his wife.

Dad was left alone in the assisted living facility 30 miles away from his wife (the only reason he was in NC at all) and unable to drive himself, so he couldn't even go visit her. With all of his children living half a continent away and busy with jobs and spouses and families of our own, Dad spent almost two months there without a single visitor...feeling useless and forgotten. Even tho my brothers and I called him daily, he went into a deep depression, stopped eating, and lost nearly 25 lbs. And he wasn't overweight to start with.

When I got a call that they wanted to put him on hospice because his weight loss, combined with all his ongoing health issues indicated that he was probably within 6 months of dying, I put my foot down and insisted he move back to TX with me. He stayed with me for a few months, regained the weight he had lost, perked up emotionally, and then decided he wanted to have his "independence" again. We found him a little house less than 5 miles away, right across the street from a Dollar Store, and he now does fairly well on his own - doing most of his own cooking and cleaning, and walking (albeit ever so slowly) over to the store to shop for small items. I look after his finances, take him shopping and to church and to his doctor's appointments and try to help him have at least a semblance of a social life...and my brothers and his grandkids are close enough that they can come see him at least occasionally. And, since there is no way he can travel by himself anymore, I fly with him back to NC for visits to see my stepmother as often as possible. BTW, almost immediately after my Dad moved back to Texas, my stepbrother moved my stepmother back into an Alzheimer's Care facility (a cheaper one) because, according to him, she "suddenly" took a turn for the worse and became "impossible" for him and his wife to deal with.

Anyway, all that is just to say I TOTALLY get where you're coming from. When it comes to our parents, we muddle through the best we can, quite often setting our own lives totally on the back burner yet never quite feeling like we're doing enough.

I am so glad that you are getting a little bit of your life back! You deserve it. At least Hubby and I have had each other to lean on through everything. I honestly don't know how either of us would have survived if we'd each been single. ENJOY you upcoming vacation secure in the knowledge that your mother is safe and well-cared for. You're a good person and a very good son.

I'm glad you're back on the forum and I look forward to getting to know you as you drop the excess weight and take back your health!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 11:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Welcome Karl.
I hope you really enjoy a very much earned break. I am so glad your mom is happy in her new home, and you can finally treat yourself better.
I am very young to have needed a caretaker, but 2 years ago at 30 I got very sick- I had a very rare nuerological syndrome that paralyzes people for 6-12 months. It took me roughly 6 months to begin walking more than a block or two (I had previously been an avid mountain trail runner, so this was quite a shock to the system), and it was a year before I felt mostly recovered. During that awful 6 months, my husband (also an athlete) never once went to the gym because he would race home from work, to make sure I wasn't lying in bed too weak to stand long enough to heat food he made me sitting in the fridge. He did every single dog walk. He did every house hold chore, including cooking every meal I would eat (and measuring the ingredients so I could count the carbs!), and even my laundry.
I can't believe after that hellish year, when I finally was well- he proposed to me and we got married last summer

I don't know what it is like to take care of someone full time, and you are such a good son to be able to have done that for such a long time. So glad you now get your chance to find happiness and fulfillment.

Btw, hi there neighbor! Look the sun came back out

Bev- what a nightmare your family went through. So glad your dad is happy and safe in his new little house, and that his wife is also safe. That fire sounds terrifying.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 11:50

BF:

Bev -

I am glad your father is doing well. I know that I am in a way fortunate that I don't have other family members involved since there aren't any. The bad side of all of that is that I've had to do everything myself. Two sides of a losing coin. I can't imagine trying to work from home while taking care of an Alz patient - kudos to you! I had inhome care for her, which sounds great on paper until there's a no show or Mom immediately takes a dislike to kind caregiver. . .

Robin -

Wow. What a story. Congradulations on your recovery.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 17:09

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

well... do note that I said "TRIED to work from home." I didn't say that I actually managed. But that is all water long under the bridge now. In retrospect, I'm glad I did it because it gave me an opportunity to get to know the woman raised my dear loving husband - while her personality was still intact even tho her memory might, at any given moment, have been wandering in some other decades. And during her more lucid times, she shared stories with me and Hubby that I'm sure we'd never have heard under any other circumstances.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-16, 10:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
And during her more lucid times, she shared stories with me and Hubby that I'm sure we'd never have heard under any other circumstances.

that is awesome.

We knew my grandfather needed to be moved into assisted living when he starting having delusions that an "oriental woman" had broken into the house to make sandwiches. We joked most men would love a woman making him a sandwich, but poor grandpa was terrified (he had been POW in Korean War).
We never knew how much he feared all Asians until his Parkinson's caused delusions from being over medicated.

How are you doing Karl? Do you have low carb plan of attack for that vacation? I like to look at restaurant menus ahead of time, bring groceries if there is a fridge, etc....I like planning ahead, otherwise I get stressed.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-16, 09:18

BF:

Hi Robin,

I returned yesterday and stayed completely on plan and without any drama :-)

My approach has been a modified Atkins (with a little IF thrown in) that has worked for me in the past. After two weeks of strict induction, it is basically binary - either something is on the list of foods I can eat or off of it. I eat two real meals a day (lunch and dinner) and I don't snack. I do allow myself limited alcohol (wine or vodka/soda) with the understanding that this slows me - but is a reasonable compromise as it does not set off a binge as I know it does for others.

This approach kills my appetite. I'm not constantly hungry to the point of being a raving lunatic. It was relatively easy to maintain on vacation - way way way easier than trying to do the low calorie thing. Restaurants were very cooperative substituting greens for potatoes, etc.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-16, 09:19

BF:

Oh yes, best of all.

Down a pound : - )