Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 10:21

Plan: South Beach, phase 1
Stats: 322/301/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Greetings and hello!

Hello, fellow dieters! I have flunked out of Weight Watchers many times and hope to do much better on the South Beach diet. My endocrinologist says I will, and so far, at 20 pounds in 6 weeks, I'm thrilled. My husband and I are beginning to get bored, however, but this forum looks helpful for new and simple recipes. He has diabetes and I have hypothyroid disease so our medications are part of our efforts to stay healthy and improve.

We are native Westerners now living in the Land of Carbs. In rural Ohio, people eat lots and lots of sweets and fats so my main diet challenge is social. I am so heavy now that I can't be a polite eater of this stuff, however delicious it might be. So I am careful to eat healthy snacks to help me avoid undue temptation. My doctor planted a new idea that is also helpful: carbs are TOXIC to my body. Please understand that I don't mean a regional insult; many people here struggle to put food on the table, and carbs are cheap. Also, home cooking skills are much rarer than they were in my generation.

I enjoy getting out of the kitchen by singing, walking, and seeing live shows locally and in Columbus. Another of my diet incentives is better fitness, so travel is more comfortable. And I want to fit into beautiful clothes I have made that no longer zip/button/close. My sewing students teach me more about fashion every week!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 10:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome K,
A smart Doctor you have! There are great recipes here, all indexed and hyperlinked. For lovely photos, check these out too: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes this is a good website for basic info too. all the best to you both,
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 13:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi K Sullivan. I have this temptation to nickname you Sully lol.

Welcome and good on you for starting this wonderful low carb healthy fat way of eating. You will be so darn happy, I can't even tell you. Fantastic that your husband is on board. Your plan for walking, singing, concerts, travel etc sounds lovely. Are you retired? I'm jealous.

Carbs are toxic to the body. I call it evil nasty sugar. It's addictive ... even a little bit of it can send me into a tailspin. It lies to me all the time, telling me I'll be happier if I eat it ... like, really ?? I don't think so!

I hear you on being surrounded by carbs and also on how it's more affordable in some parts ... it's still really sad though ... that peeps are in bondage to sugar the way they are. I hope you'll make yourself very comfortable on this site and that we'll see lots of you. Best of luck to you and your guy.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 13:48

BF:

Thanks very much for your welcome and encouragement. Yes, I'm retired, but my husband needs to work several more years.That leaves me more time in the kitchen whether I want it or not.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 13:49

BF:

Thanks very much, for the links and the welcome!