Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 14:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/295.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default exercise question.

I'm posting this question here in the TDC because I want answers from people who are (significantly overweight) more like me.....

Have you ever tried a rowing machine? I'm considering getting a piece of exercise equipment....I've narrowed it down to a treadmill or a rowing machine. If I get a rower I want to get a Water Rower....I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with using one? I know they used them on The Biggest Loser this season (maybe before too, I haven't watched in several years) and I think I would enjoy it more than a treadmill......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 07:04

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I tried one. With all my extra weight, a whole-body exercise like that makes exercise high intensity instantly. So it's hard to get moderate and low intensity from that machine. It's okay for short hard workouts.

I like my Total Gym better because you can just do part of the body at a time. This allows more control over the intensity and I can vary the workouts accordingly - some days easy, some days harder, depending on goals and energy.

way more fun than a treadmill too!

Oh and I would never do Biggest Loser type exercise along with low carb. too much cortisol generating among other things.
Biggest Loser is all about calorie counting and thinking exercise burns calories, which is irrelevant when with LCHF we are working with hormones and metabolism.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 08:44

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

My favorite single piece of equipment is the elliptical, because it's the easiest on the knees. You have an incline option, as well as arm movement options. I have not tried a rower in over 20 yrs due to the size of my butt. I avoid bike and rower seats because of that. A treadmill is too hard on the knees/shins (IMO). Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 21:23

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy0652
I have not tried a rower in over 20 yrs due to the size of my butt. I avoid bike and rower seats because of that.

Concept sells a "tractor seat" that is wider, and EndureRow makes an aftermarket one that might be a better fit, it doesn't have the angles that the OEM seat does.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 11:45

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy0652
My favorite single piece of equipment is the elliptical, because it's the easiest on the knees.

Ugh, everyone says this BUT the elliptical KILLS my knees. I have osteoarthritis in them though. Perhaps it's just my anatomy though, it seems like too much forward pressure on any style of elliptical. I really like the treadmill and the recumbent bikes at the gym.

Not sure about the rower but echo the comment where someone says its hard to get a moderate workout on when you are 100lbs + overweight. I don't workout intensely as it makes me HUNGRY. I'm just plugging along at a moderate pace to build endurance and overall fitness.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/295.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: -3%

Thanks for all your input! I think I have actually decided not to buy any exercise equipment right now......we live in a fairly small space with two VERY active kids (oldest is 3) and we really don't have room for anything else.....it's also a big investment to make and I think it would be better for me (right now) to get into an exercise routine using the resources available to me....maybe in the future I will purchase something. Bur for now, I will make do with my Wii Fit, walking, kettle bell and exercise videos :-)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 07:53

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

Wii fit is excellent, and you can get the kids involved too! Also walking - weather permitting, obviously, allows you to include them sometimes as well. Being able to incorporate both solo and family activities is easier for me than just trying to squeeze in solo time. Good luck and keep at it
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 17:06

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
Ugh, everyone says this BUT the elliptical KILLS my knees. I have osteoarthritis in them though. Perhaps it's just my anatomy though, it seems like too much forward pressure on any style of elliptical. I really like the treadmill and the recumbent bikes at the gym.

Not sure about the rower but echo the comment where someone says its hard to get a moderate workout on when you are 100lbs + overweight. I don't workout intensely as it makes me HUNGRY. I'm just plugging along at a moderate pace to build endurance and overall fitness.

I think with the elliptical is you really have to exactly fit the machine. I got injured on them, too!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 17:22
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I've never had a rowing machine...but I'm a huge fan of a stationary bike...

I've been using one since I restarted my incredible LC WOE back in July 2013. I started off doing 20-30 mins per day, now I'm up to 2 or 3 hours a day, during the week and more on the weekends. (As of this moment, I've logged in 11,433 miles). Granted, I'm not sweating bullets whilst I pedal, but I keep up an even speed of 3.25 mph.

I have a bad knee but it doesn't seem to affect that at all.

Pedaling without something to do would drive me crazy (or is that crazier? ) I've attached my computer keyboard to the handle bars. I don't own a computer chair or computer desk, so the only way I can be on the computer is to pedal my butt!

Wishing you much success on your journey to a healthier YOU!