Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 09:55

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Pardon me for not reading all the previous posts and possibly repeating.

Healthy places? I thought about this for a while after I logged out yesterday. I would think that any place with clean air and clean drinking water would be the most necessary ingredients.

And of course no other local health related environmental problems like a toxic waste dump nearby.

I suppose after that would be a climate that you like. Some people thrive in the cold, others the heat, some especially with allergy problems like it dry, others like it humid. What do you need for your health challenges?

Next a place with a lower crime rate.

When you narrow down those areas, think about how happy you would be there. Do you need a symphony orchestra, museum, bluegrass festival, theater, discos, green areas, rock concerts or whatever turns you on and makes you happy. Happy is good for health.

Other than that, your health is up to you. I've been in 49 US states, and in our continent from Alaska to Costa Rica, plus the Caribbean, UK, Italy, Netherlands, Hungary and China and I've seen both healthy and unhealthy people wherever I go.

Once you get where you are going, your diet and exercise are things you can control. If there is no Trader Joe's in your neighborhood, the Internet will help.

You have to take responsibility for your health, because wherever you go, there you are. The geographic cure won't make it if you aren't healthy.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 11:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Everyplace has pluses and minuses. If the climate fits, the social life might not. If the traffic is perfect, the shopping (healthy food) might not be.
Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Can you get along with just yourself and a few close friends, or do you need lots of external stimulation?
We live just outside a small city in Oregon. Quiet, lots of trees, not much in the way of good restaurants or sophisticated entertainment. But DH is an artist, and I am a gardener, cook, avid reader. And we are retired, and Portland is "only" 3 hours away. My dear friend lives in a similar sized city, also in Oregon, but a university town, lots of music and art and theater; touristy, so good restaurants etc. She needs that; we don't. I could no more imagine living there than she could moving here, and yet both of us wish we lived closer to the other (We've been good friends for more than 50 years ). She has good opportunities for buying healthy food, and tends to shop every day or so; I have to drive for an hour or so for much of what I want (Trader Joe's, decent butcher), but I tend to believe in keeping a full pantry (even when I lived in the city) so this isn't a huge hardship for me; I just make a "stock up run" every couple of months. You say you will become a professor. I rather think that living in a university town will almost, by definition, give you more, and closer, healthy opportunities than living "out in the sticks", as we do

Edited to add that we lived for 25 years in a major metropolitan area - San Francisco Bay Area - so are not unacustomed to the other side of the coin
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-13, 05:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
What do you need

It's all about wants right now. No needs. If she knew what she needed, she wouldn't have this question. Right now, it's about release.

Quote:
because wherever you go, there you are.

I've always loved that movie. Kind of like a proto-Fifth Element.

Quote:
The geographic cure won't make it if you aren't healthy.

Bob

We all die. Each of us, someday, won't have our health. Health is only a means to and end anyway. I think she needs to pick her ends. Then she'll figure out her needs. I don't think she is ready to do that so for now, she floats.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-13, 09:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

There's a movie, "Where you go, there you are"?

I've heard that phrase ever since I was a child, but never knew. OK it's google time - and perhaps netflix after that.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-13, 10:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My favorite Home Decorating App just posted a "How to Decide
on a New Town" that starts from the big picture and works down to the house. Most real estate apps also include a "Walkability" Score for neighborhoods if that is important to your health.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1653...e-on-a-New-Town
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-13, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Pardon me for not reading all the previous posts and possibly repeating.

Healthy places? I thought about this for a while after I logged out yesterday. I would think that any place with clean air and clean drinking water would be the most necessary ingredients.

And of course no other local health related environmental problems like a toxic waste dump nearby.

I suppose after that would be a climate that you like. Some people thrive in the cold, others the heat, some especially with allergy problems like it dry, others like it humid. What do you need for your health challenges?

Next a place with a lower crime rate.

When you narrow down those areas, think about how happy you would be there. Do you need a symphony orchestra, museum, bluegrass festival, theater, discos, green areas, rock concerts or whatever turns you on and makes you happy. Happy is good for health.

Other than that, your health is up to you. I've been in 49 US states, and in our continent from Alaska to Costa Rica, plus the Caribbean, UK, Italy, Netherlands, Hungary and China and I've seen both healthy and unhealthy people wherever I go.

Once you get where you are going, your diet and exercise are things you can control. If there is no Trader Joe's in your neighborhood, the Internet will help.

You have to take responsibility for your health, because wherever you go, there you are. The geographic cure won't make it if you aren't healthy.

Bob

First, thank you for taking the time to reply in detail.

Next, I am impressed that you have lived all those places, how amazing! I am a traveler at heart.

Climate-- I like dry. In fact, I prefer mild temperatures... not too hot but not freezing either. I find it weird that when I was in CO I was complaining that it was too hot and I needed water, but in reality, I think I was happy there. My life was different and weather def can't make everything better. However, I do think we can feel more peaceful in certain places. I have lived on the East coast and NC, then Denver. Seems like I need open space and being able to BREATHE On the other hand, I love staying busy and walking around a small city.

Health- I can't say I am solid gold.However, for 38, not shabby. Most think I look about 25 because I eat healthy and workout. I, on the other hand, am critical to a point. I have maintained my weight around 115-118 for about 5 years now which is a big step since I used to be teeny tiny. After traveling to 4 states in the past two weeks, I found a gym in everyone and only missed about 3 days of working out. IT is my health and I value it, so I can relate about taking the responsibility to do what I can for own well being. Noone and no PLACE can do this for me.

I firmly believe that going low carb has made me more comfortable in my own skin. Now, I just need to find the right spot to flourish with my degree.

Crime- good point. I forgot about that one. I will put that on my list.

Utah keeps popping in my head, and of course, San Diego. Hmm....

I also am not an outdoors person which is weird but I like working out in the gym. Not a hiker either.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-13, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My favorite Home Decorating App just posted a "How to Decide
on a New Town" that starts from the big picture and works down to the house. Most real estate apps also include a "Walkability" Score for neighborhoods if that is important to your health.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1653...e-on-a-New-Town

Hi

Thank you so much, I will check this out. I think this is amazing. I keep referring back to the other link you provided... Utah?? Seriously, looks nice.

I will keep searching and start making contacts everywhere so I know what I want when I apply for jobs next year.. we can't plan everything, but I need to follow my heart to where I feel it wants to go. I have this option with being alone and not close to my family ( no parents), so I need to go with it.

NC is not totally out, though