Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 17:13

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default BioScanner 2000 cholesterol, hdl, trigyceride home monitor

Hi all,

My husband is on lowcarb for his high cholesterol and we are thinking of buying a home test meter. This is the only one we found that breaks out HDL and Triglycerides. The price is $210 for the meter and enough strips for 6 tests. The replacement strips are 6 for $20.

Details on the machine are at this link:
BioScanner 2000

Has anyone tried this meter? What do you think of it?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile

Hi PineSlayer,

I have had one of these meters for about 6 months and I love it. The strips are a little expensive but I like knowing what is going on. I only test about every 2 weeks.

I went to the doctor last tuesday to get my blood work done and I remembered to test myself with the meter before my visit so I can compare the Bioscanners results with the lab results. I should get my results next Tuesday. I'll let you know what my findings are.

They also have a Ketone test strip for testing ketone levels in the blood. They seem to be more accurate than the urine test strips.

They are also coming out with a test strip to test specifically for the ldl level. Now I have to calculate the ldl number using the total cholesterol number - hdl - (triglycerides/5). Sometimes this method is not very accurate.

Bill
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:09

BF:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. We did order one, it should be here next week sometime. I'll be very glad to know whether or not it is accurate (or at least, accurate enough).

We aren't sure how often to test.
Do you find that 2 weeks is long enough to see a significant difference in the numbers?
Did you do 2 tests in a row to see if the numbers were consistent? We were thinking of doing that.

We don't care very strongly about the LDL, the TGL/HDL is the number we want to look at.

I see you have lost 41 lbs.!! Good job!

I'll look forward to your post.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 13:47

BF:

Hi PineSlayer, I did do 2 tests in a row and they were pretty consistant. The numbers were within 10 of each other. You probably only need to test once a month. I do see changes in my readings every 2 weeks but I would not call them significant.

I have seen that if my hdl drops below 40 and I increase my intake of olive oil or macadamia nuts and retest in a few days the hdl is usually up to around 43 or 44.

One day I forgot and had 3 cups of coffee with 1 tsp of heavy cream in each before testing and my triglycerides were over 500. The next day I retested before my coffee and the triglycerides were 160.

Tomorrow morning I get my lab results so I will post them when I get back from the doctors office.

Bill
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:06

BF:
Smile Results are in!

O.K. I got my lab results.

Cholesterol - 218
Triglycerides - 139
HDL - 47
LDL - 143

The Bioscanner readings were

Cholesterol - 170
Triglycerides - 164
HDL - 42
LDL - 90 (Cholesterol - HDL - (Triglycerides/5)

There not as close as I had expected but there still close enough to give me a good idea what is going on. I can't wait until they come out with the LDL test strip.

Whoa! wait a minute! I just ran the lab numbers through the LDL calculation formula and the lab LDL was calculated the same way
(218 - 47 - (139/5)) = 143. I thought they were running a more acurate LDL test.

The only other thing is the readings were taken about an hour apart. I don't think that would have much effect on the numbers.

Bill
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:24

BF:

Bill,

Thanks for the information. I'm thinking the discrepancy in reading might have been the difference between capilary and venous blood.

I'll let you know how our scanner compares with blood work when we have it done.

I wonder if the hospital would let us test there using the drawn blood. Hmmm.....

Your blood looks great!!!! Congrats!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:10

BF:

Hi Again, Bill!

I did the numbers on your Triglycerides/HDL and the numbers look wonderful:
2.95 on the lab-done test
3.9 on the BioScanner
Any ratio below 5 is good.

In response to a letter I sent to Dr. Michael Eades (Protein Power), in August 1996, asking why my husband, Mike's cholesterol had gone UP on this diet, he sent us a copy of a Harvard Medical School article titled "Triglycerides (TG), HDL, and Risk of Myocardial Infarction (MI) in a Case-Control Study" Text is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt triglyceride and hdl ratio info from eades.txt (3.4 KB, 30 views)