Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 06:11

Plan: charles clark
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default New member doing Charles Clark

Hi, I am Barbara from Scotland, I am 54 and have been carrying an extra two stone for toooooo long.
I have just read The New High Protein diet and the recipe book from cover to cover. Starting tomorrow so preparing today and glad to find this forum for recipe ideas and support. I chose Clark because of the reviews on Amazon and because I look to cook so need nice recipes to try and also because he allows one slice of bread and I can only do egg based brekkies if I can have a slice of toast as well. And bacon and egg makes me feel sick if I have it a few days running. But I am sure I can manage soups and salads for lunch at work and a protein meal with loads of veggies for tea. So heres hoping I gradually shift some of this excess weight finally.

Anyone know what happened to the website in the front of the book. I know the book has been on the go for a while 2003? but would like to have found a website to go with it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 18:42

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Hello and welcome, Barbara! I'm not knowledgeable about your chosen plan at all, so can't help there. But this is a great support network and I am glad you found us!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 04:17

BF:
Progress:

Hi Freckles,

Thanks for the welcome.
Some people have been doing it as that is how I found the site but it doesn't seem to be such a popular one. But it looks good to me and I have high hopes!

You look like you are doing really well.

Barbara
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 04:33

Plan: Atkins BSCP/Paleo
Stats: 225/192/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hi Barbara! I live in the UK and I did Charles Clark's diet in my early days of low carbing. Personally, I found Clark advocated too high a carb level for me to lose weight. (I found I had to give up the bread completely, one slice was never enough!). To be honest, I've read so many books now, I just do 'my own version'. I try to keep below 30gs of carb daily. Any more than that and I stall or start to regain. I have shifted more toward Paleo as time has gone on, it just seems to make sense. I don't eat wheat any more, but I do eat cheese & full fat Greek yoghurt. I can drink coffee black, but use Lacto Free milk in tea as I can't bear to drink it without milk.
For breakfast I usually have scrambled eggs with butter, some cheese or salami, or Greek yoghurt. At weekends sometimes a late breakfast/lunch of eggs & bacon, or pancakes made from ground almonds or coconut flour.
I find I eat a lot less in quantity these days as these protein rich foods are very filling and sustaining, and I have completely lost the cravings for sweet things.
I don't know anything about the forum you mention, but this one we are on is pretty good!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 04:48

BF:
Progress:

Hi Fiona,

No I meant that is how I found this site!

Thanks for that advice it is very helpful. I have not heard of Paleo but will go google. However breakfast is my downfall. I can go without (not healthy, I know) but I just can't stomach meat and eggs in the morning. I have tried and failed. So I think I can stick to my two small Warburton wholemeal 19grams carb with a poached egg or tinned toms or cheese on top and that will do me for the day.

I guess its try and see? I did Zoe Harcombe for a while and lost in her induction but she does the combining after that and I found that hard.

Sigh, life is not easy - LOL!

But I know what you mean about your own version, it is what works for you. So trial and error here I come.

Barbara
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 06:12

BF:

Well, you haven't a lot to lose, so hopefully you will be able to get off to a good start at least, that helps so much with motivation in my experience.
I've found things much more difficult since the menopause. I lost around 3 stones the first time I low carbed, about 10 years ago. I kept it off for quite a while, but fell off the wagon and it all piled back on. I've flirted with it a time or two since, most recently about two years ago, and it has been much slower and harder to shift the pounds, and far too easy to put them all back on and, each time, a few more besides.
Last summer I was diagnosed with pre diabetes and we have a very strong family history of diabetes, so avoiding developing it is my main priority. So this summer I bit the bullet once more and this is it now. No more yo yo diets, I have got to keep on track if I don't want my health to suffer. Unfortunately I am now post menopause as I say, and it is slow going.
Finally, just watch out for the carbs in those tinned tomatoes (check the label). You may find they are too much if you are having the toast as well. I seem to remember Clark advocates around 40g carbs daily and it's easy to think a few more won't matter, but they do.

Last edited by Fiona M : Sun, Nov-27-11 at 09:34.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 13:25

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum

I have been making the "foccacio flax bread" recently
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=304532
and though it isn't the same as regular sliced cardboard bread it does a good job as a piece of toast under a fried or poached agg as well as make toast soldiers for a dippy egg!
I don't have the baking mix called for in the original recipe so just leave it out and it looks very much the same as "real" foccacio to me!!

I make only half the recipe by using two large eggs and increasing the water to allow for half an eggs worth of liquid and halving the rest of the ingredients listed as well as omitting the sweetener and spread it out on a silicon baking sheet so it makes about the equivalent of 4 "normal sized" slices in area.

If that doesn't work for you there are plenty of other bread-like recipes in the Baking forum.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-11, 07:08

BF:
Progress:

Thanks both for that. Fiona, I can't believe how many carbs tomatoes have but I totted it up and should be just about okay but obviously not a breakfast I can have that often especially as I was going to have homemade tomato and red pepper soup for lunch.

Elizellen, thanks for the recipe, may give that a try. Haven't looked at recipes yet, but will help my breakfast problem.

Barbara
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-11, 20:18

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
it does a good job as a piece of toast under a fried or poached agg as well as make toast soldiers for a dippy egg!

Oh, my! Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to do this with my lc pita bread recipe.

Barbara....another idea for a breakfast bread is a muffin in a minute (mim) There are hundreds of recipes for them in the recipe forums. They are microwave muffins, so I've not been able to try one (we don't own a microwave).
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 15:07

BF:
Progress:

That I will try, thanks Freckles. This week I have had avocado and crab for breakfast one day, wierd or not!

Barbara
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-11, 06:56

BF:

Avocado & crab sounds lovely actually!
I sometimes eat leftovers from my evening meal for breakfast next day. It's just another meal isn't it? And once I have eaten some protein & fat I feel full until the afternoon.