Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:48

Plan: My own Low Carb Plan
Stats: 196/194/165 Female 5'5
BF:Very fluffy!
Progress: 6%
Default Any diabetics here?

Just found out I am in the first stage of diabetes...is there anyone in here who know if this is a good diet for diabetics? Just wondering...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 12:34
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Is this a good diet for people with diabetes?

The key to controlling diabetes is to control blood sugar levels. It is the raising of blood sugar levels and diabetics’ inability to produce sufficient insulin to remove the sugar from the bloodstream that creates the medical condition called hyperglycemia which if left uncontrolled can lead to death. The glycemic index was originally developed by Dr David Jenkins to address the issue of what carbohydrates could diabetics eat that would minimize hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels). This is why diabetics find The G.I. Diet so effective in the management of their disease. Many have been able to reduce their medications and in some cases even eliminate them. The Canadian Diabetes Association in their house magazine "Dialogue" recommended The G.I. Diet as the best choice for diabetics amongst the leading popular diets. So the whole purpose of the glycemic index is to identify foods that break down more slowly and maintain a steady delivery of sugar into the bloodstream rather than producing a sugar spike associated with high glycemic index foods. The G.I. Diet is built upon low GI foods and thus has a stabilizing impact upon the blood sugar levels of type two diabetic patients.

www.gidiet.com
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 13:59
Green for Life!

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 193/148/143 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

In a nutshell...YES...it is perfect for diabetics.

Good luck.

Lou
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 21:27

Plan: My own Low Carb Plan
Stats: 196/194/165 Female 5'5
BF:Very fluffy!
Progress: 6%

thanks girls...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 21:29
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Sure any time Julia!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 178/145/138 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi

This is a great diet for early stage diabetics. Three years ago I was a mess and was diagnosed with Syndrome X (high BP ans prediabetes). My blood pressure oscillated sky high even on Meds and Hem A1c was 8.5. They put me on a low fat diet and things got much worse and I was hospitalized for "tests" to prevent a stroke. As they did nothing for me I read research articles from MEDLINE and started an Atkins type diet (Atkins induction to start and then more low GI with carbs from 20-60gm). In 6 months I'd lost most of the weight and my BP was 110/58 and
Hem A1C was 5.9.

I am still doing well after 2.5 more years and have only gained back about 10lbs (due to falling off the diet because my MIL died and my mother had several severe health problems (broke hip, pacemaker and stroke). With work, caring most days for sick relatives and a small child fast food was the only option. Things have calmed down a bit so I'm being more strict with diet hence a return to a good forum.

But the reason I'm telling you this is that this diet really somewhat cured me. If you catch the problem early on diet and exercise CAN do the trick. When I was eating poorly my blood sugar although sometimes not great was much better controlled than before low carb. Stick to it!