Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 05:53
Registered Member

Plan: Life without bread
Stats: 200/175/170
BF:
Progress: 83%
Question Questions

Hi
I've read two paleo books now. Neanderthin and Loren Cordains book. The two contradict each other when it comes to fat, i wonder if you guys can help me?

Neaderthin states that saturated fat is healthy and was and still is abundantly available in meat. He does say, however, that this is only if omega 3 fatty acids are made up for in our diet, either with fish or supplements. He says in the past we ate all the fat on the carcass, this was healthier because of the higher levels of omega 3. Not only that but we would eat less of the leaner meat on the carcass in favour of the fattier meat.

Loren Cordain says meat was a lot leaner then so only the leanest cuts of meat should be eaten today, along with fish or omega 3 supplements. So Loren advises a lower fat diet in favour of more veg and fruit and neanderthin suggests more fat and less fruit. Loren has decided saturated fat is evil and neanderthin thinks its great.

So experts, which is it? I have no idea, however - neanderthin makes sense for people in colder climates. Loren is a top notch paleo expert however. So he SHOULD know a great deal more about it than the neanderthin guy. Any help?

Also, can you eat whey protein on this diet? Lastly, is it easy to overdose on vitamin d, I want to know whether its worth taking a supplement. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 21:04
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/weight lifting
Stats: 12/8/6
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi!

I've been following paleo nutrition, as I'm allergic to wheat & dairy. I basically eat the foods I enjoy that are "paleo" and don't worry too much about it.

Usually bacon/eggs/some kind of meat for breakfast, tuna with mayo or chicken with mayo for lunch, and meat, salad, veggie or fruit for dinner.

I do take magnesium, multi vitamin, 8 fish oil capsules, and potassium supp every day.

I have Cordain's book, and think it's geared for the standard american dieter, and think Neanerthin is way better, but it might be that low carb works for me better than eating a ton of fruit.

I've gone from size 12 jeans to 8,and am aiming for size
6, and this was after going paleo... nothing else worked!

p.s. whey protein powder... some people can tolerate it, but I sure can't. Get sinus problems/ear stuffiness if I have it.

Also, check out:

www.geocities.com/paleofitness

for inspiration!!!

Good luck!
--Lizzie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 06:59

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default I'm no expert but...

I have found in my several years of researching low-carb living that it makes a difference how the meat you eat was raised. Feed lot beef, for example, has more saturated fat than grass-fed beef, which has more Omega 3's (there is a web-site called Eat Wild that explains it in detail).

I am fortunate enough to have a farm nearby that raises grass-fed beef. The meat is much leaner and has a very different taste than what we buy at the store. My understanding is that this is more in line with what our ancestors ate. I find it interesting that the meat tastes different and has less fat, just by changing the animals diet. While they are pastured, the farmer certainly doesn't make them do calisthenics! Hmmm...leaner, just by eating the proper foods...

I've also found that with the grass-fed beef, I prefer the fattier cuts, I think that is what my body wants. I feel good after eating it, as opposed to the unnatural desire for starchy carbs that will result in feeling REALLY bad.

I would like to hear Cordain's opinion on grass-fed beef. Also, more than one piece of fruit a day will stop my weight loss, so I'm with Audette there.

Don't know anything about whey protein (ugh! ) but I do remember reading that you CAN get too much vitamin D, but don't remember where, sorry.

Amy