Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 14:09
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 238/228/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile newbie needs buddy, uk if possible

just started this low carb WOL and am trying to get to grips with the diet and the technology (wot no spell checker !) Have managed ok so far dispite difficulties like study day lunches with no low carb options and going to pizza hut !

I would like to buddy with someone who understands uk terminology (courgettes anyone?) and can cope with my spelling.

I can offer an sympathetic ear ( or the computor equivilent ?attentive screen?) and curiousity into this new WOL and its ups and downs.

I'm female, 44 with 2 children age 13(boy) and 7(girl) and have been overweight for most of my adult life so i know the kcal content of almost every known food !

low fat has never really worked for me and low carb has worked dramatically for my sister so here i am around 6lb down, another 70 to 80lb to go.
Aim to be at least 60lb towards the above by my birthday next may.
I'm doing my own thing but aiming for 20-30g carb a day

Hope to "talk " to someone soon

Ash
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 10:17

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Ash!

I'm English but I live in Belarus. I've been following this way of eating/life for just over a year and I'm about 3 stone lighter now (yea, nice to talk about 'stones' isn't it!)

I would appreciate a buddy in the UK as I have no one here to chat to regarding this diet.

I'm 52, single and the academic principal of a language school here. I was 8 stone 6lbs and as thin as a rake till I got to about 25 and took up an academic way of life...then the weight slowly and surely started to creep on. I've tried a low fat diet and it worked for a while but the fat, and more, came back when I stopped starving myself. I think this is the best long term diet.

I'm not sure how to add you to my buddy list but I'd like to keep in touch.

I'm an enthusiastic amateur low carb cook by the way.

Best wishes,
Robert
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/156/146
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hiya

I am english and live in England, Kent. I am new to this too and we have somthing in common my aim is next May too!! I am just finishing my second week of induction and lost 7 LB on my first week!

I don't understand everything either, but this web site is excellent with a lot of experienced dieters that are only too happy to help, the only down side is that most of the live about 5000 miles away in US and when we are sleeping they are typing so we do get a delay on replys, but stick with it, it will all be worth it in the end!!

Good luck

Abbi
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 04:04
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Hi Ascombe,

I am on my third week of Atkins and have lost 10 lbs so far. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne , am 43 and work full time. I'd love to buddy-up with you and anyone else who can offer support.

Hope to speak to you soon.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

Dear Robert,
I'm not certain how to reply to your post except here. I think there must be a way especially as we are both on line at the same time.
I like cooking too, any style/food as long as it dos'nt contain celery or peanuts and I supose I now add carbs to that list! Do you have a good recept for cheese sauce ? I've done the one from Dr Atkins book but its rather runny (unless you keep it inthe fridge overnight in which case it sets!

Where is Belarus (geography was never my stong suit along with the spelling). it sounds hot. Do you teach english as a foreign language?

Best wishes
Ash
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 14:40
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Abbi,
As with robert, I only know how to reply via this thread. It sounds like you are doing well.
I have lost 3 pounds over the last 2 weeks but did'nt do induction, I'm adveraging about 20 -30 g of carb a day with very little effort on my part.
Have you discovered sugalight a email low carb "shop" on the web, expensive but the keto mix cinamon rasion bread mix freezes well and is aound 4 carbs a slice, good toasted with lots of butter for a super quick breakfast or snack.
Fitday which records what you have eaten and shows nice graphs is also a useful tool if american (beware of the eggplant ).
Hope to hear from you soon
Ash
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ash

Hope you had a "good" weekend, mines not been too bad as I have quite busy so food has not been on my mind too much, it's my second weigh day tomorrow I hope to have lost 3 pounds (fingers crossed) I have a goal to aim for and I will on target if I lose 3/4 pounds this week!

I will keep you posted!

Abbi
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 08:25

Hi Ascombe,

I've rather given up on cheese sause. I usually use sour cream instead. stir fried cauliflour with sour cream is delicious.

Belarus is part of the former Soviet Union. It's between Poland and Russia - and in winter it can be very very cold!

On the good side meat and dairy products are all cheap and in graet variety

Yes, I am the academic director of an English Language school.

Good luck with the diet...you seem to be doing well.

When you have more than a certain number of postings, you can send direct messages. (Ithink it's 25).

Best regards,
Robert
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:

Dear Abbi,
sounds like you are doing well I like the idea of targets though I blew it last week (confernece dinner) also difficult to be certain what your eating when away. Struggling a bit since I got back because i'm tired but trying to cut down below 20g again.
hope your week was better than mine and you've got the weight loss to prove it.

Ash
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 14:36
Registered Member

BF:

Dear Robert,
nice to hear from you. I was away for 3 days last week at a conference in Harrogate. the low carb went completely for the confernce dinner and i suspect was'nt as accurate for other maels as who knows whats in sauces. Tired since i got back so am more in the 30 to 40g range than under 20g this weekend so i'll be suprised if i lose weight this week.
the sour cream with stired fried cauli sound good i'll have to try it.
the evenings are staring to draw in though it was nice and sunny this weekend.
Ash
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 14:37
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ash,

I have not have a very good weekend at all, I thought I would check on my weight on Friday lunch time and got on the scales at Boots only to find that I had gained 2LB. I am so fed up about it and feel really cheated by the diet, I have followed it 100% correctly, just dont know what to do!

I am going to weigh again tommorrow morning as I usually do on a Monday and see what happens then.

#12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 03:32
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

Hi Abbi,

Sorry you haven't had a very good week. It is really disappointing when you get on the scales knowing that you haven't cheated and find that you have gained . Hopefully it will just be a temporary glitch. Do you wear the same clothes each time you get weighed? Remember some things are heavier than others.

I have only lost a pound this week, whereas my husband is still shifting several pounds a week. It just isn't fair. Don't give up though, sometimes it just takes a bit of time to register on the scales.

Take care
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 14:37
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Paulie

Thanks for your support! I have been ultra good! Fingers crossed for next week.

Abbi
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 14:15
Registered Member

BF:

Hi abbi
I had a week of not losing early on, ultra frustrating especially if you know you hav'nt cheated

?time of month i noticed a stall in weight loss and at least one day of carbohydrate cravings pre period.

Having looked up the tips for stalls on this site these involve things like giving up caffine so you might want to check that it is a stall before going to what for me were drastic measues (down to one cup of coffeee a day and still grieving it's absence )

Hope thing go better this week
Ash
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 12:24

Hello Ash,

I was just looking through the board when I stumbled across our old correspondance. How are you doing? Lost any weight recently? Sorted out the cheese sause? How's dear old England? It's snowy and cold here.

Regards,
Robert