Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/135
BF:
Progress:
Question

Hi everyone! I've been on this woe since end of Jan. Doing good I think, 24lbs gone. My problem is for some reason this week, I am having major cravings. So far I've been able to control them but this week TOM and I am turning a year older on Friday. I am afraid that I won't be able to resist a birthday cake if it's given to me, or if we go out to supper, splurging. EEEEEk! Can anyone give me any guidance on how you have delt with this or would deal with this? (Besides locking myself in a room with lots of water!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 08:25

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

LOL your too cute. Firstly...Happy Birthday to you both

Eating out is great. Just imagine, Steak and Salad, Steak and Lobster (bit much on the wallet, but I did say imagine..LOL). Anyway eating out you just leave out what you shouldn't eat and just substitute, side salad, low carb veggies etc...

With the birthday cake, my thoughts on this, which may or may not help you? Me personally would think, after eating this cake, how will I feel? From reading all on this site, most feel like crap after eating sugar or high carbs. Just something to think about. Then again, how about instead of cake, order strawberries and whipped cream....oh my god....LOL

Have a great one!
Wendy

Thats great on the 24lbs loss too...WTG!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 08:42

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have heard that taking L-Glutamine is supposed to help with cravings. I also believe Dr. Atkins spoke of it in his book. I am relying on my memory though, so there is room for error!!
Have a goor day, Debra
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 10:16

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default sweet things

I still get the urge for something sweet once in a while - nowhere NEAR as often as I used to, and it's satisfied much more easily. I just make myself a little LC dessert.

Melt a square of unsweetened baker's chocolate, stir in a teaspoon each of butter and cream, Splenda to taste, and a few drops of vanilla or maple extract (for some reason the maple seems to intensify the chocolate flavour). Optional: stir in a tablespoon of softened cream cheese. Make little globs on a plastic-covered plate, freeze till hard. Or just eat it by the spoonful while it's warm. I make this once every couple of weeks. I'll bet it would be yum with strawberries dipped in!

About a week ago I made myself a crepe with egg and vanilla whey powder. I melted a little bit of butter and stirred into it some unsweetened cocoa and Splenda. It turned into a yummy chocolate syrup to drizzle over the crepe.

Some people find LC sweets trigger carb cravings. I don't, but I make sure I don't indulge more than once a week or so, if that. It beats feeling deprived and turning to carb-laden stuff.

So maybe, the day before your birthday, make yourself a luxurious LC cheesecake or other sweet of your preference. Eat out, treat yourself to a LC feast, as Wendy suggests, and have dessert at home. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Happy birthday!
Rachel

#5   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 11:49

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Oh Rachel,

Post that quick little chocolate thing ma jig you do in the recipe thread will you please. I was looking for that way back when but couldn't find it. I think thats just great to do for a quickie chocolate treat

Wendy

Will try that soon...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 16:46

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Cravings

Oh yes, those.... Overpowering sometimes.

My sister told me years ago if it's a weekend (this is two days, not three ) or statutory holiday you can sample whatever you like, within reason.

I get more salty/greasy ones than sweet ones, although yesterday I did have a *huge* one for hot sweet tea... hmmm

If I get the salty one, I'll head for a sushi bar and get some sashimi with pickled ginger. Now *that's* salty! And some miso soup with tofu bits.

Sweets I have on weekend evenings (after dinner only). The local grocery store makes these little truffle-sized things called "dips", so I will go and buy two and eat one at a time and savour them like nobody's business.

Birthdays are tough - I like the dessert at home idea. Have a FANTASTIC lo-carb dinner with the dream protein of your choice (prawns are my personal addiction...) and then head home to that single slice.

With a nice half-bottle of good champagne perhaps? Me *like* champagne...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 18:09
Registered Member

Stats: 250/205/135
BF:
Progress:
Talking thanks

Thanks everyone for your support! I really appreciate it and now I'm not feeling so intimidated! Have a great day!
toni
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 23:20

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Chocolate

'Tis done. In the recipe section under "desserts." The name is Lynne's Chocolate, because that's what it's called on the site I scoffed it from.

I should warn you, this is not GOURMET chocolate; it is, however, quick, dirty, and low carb! And I kinda like it.

Rachel

Quote:
Originally posted by numberonewendy
Oh Rachel,

Post that quick little chocolate thing ma jig you do in the recipe thread will you please. I was looking for that way back when but couldn't find it. I think thats just great to do for a quickie chocolate treat

Wendy

Will try that soon...